JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm actually better with a diamond sharpening rod then with a stone, as my main pocket knife has a slight foreword cant. (Note: better does not mean good:rolleyes:) Although that is a good point.

The 9" Anaconda (I think they only offer the 7" now) has that slight forward cant to it, makes for easier chopping, and I've used a rod to sharpen it a time or two - I carry both in my pack when I'm out. I'm better with a flat stone so that's the only reason it gets sharpened that way when I get home.

Lots of military have adopted it as their primary knife, or so the Internet says but I can't quote which ones.

I have, and prefer, the hunters tip and not the tonto.

The thing is a beast so I use that RAT 3 for all the little stuff to keep my hand from being fatigued quicker.

At home it's part of my wth was that noise in the night gear I grab.

Here's the current issue one:

41E+fiuMxuL.jpg

Typo. The OP's topic had me searching for more info on mine again.

These are like Katanas:

Cult following for the history
&
Huge difference between a good one and a bad one;).

Edit:
Mine is in the basement with my other gear or I'd post a pic of it.

Crutches and steep stairs don't mix well:D:eek:.

For general camp etc. use you'll hack way more than stab and a good Kukri is hard to beat.
But if you really need or want both, a good Bowie is hard to beat.
I heard that years ago it was generally conceded that penetrating stab wounds were much more lethal than cuts.. for whatever that's worth.

The thing is a beast so I use that RAT 3 for all the little stuff to keep my hand from being fatigued quicker.
I generally use my pocket knife for that but it's hard on the hands after a while. I should probably look for a good small fixed blade knife. Thanks Joe, more knives to search for.:confused:

:p

I've got several fixed blade configurations, survival, fighting, hunting. Of all them, I like the KBAR's the best.

Compared to the trusty KBAR, lots of others catch my eye. The prices keep me away.

Don't claim to be "experienced" with the Khuk but I have owned and used several over the last 35 or so years, starting with the Indian-made Gurkha regiment knives. These knives are still available thru Atlanta Cutlery, SARCO, (and a few others), tho the price has continually crept upward. They have the hardened belly and softer backs (Differential tempering before differential tempering was cool!) and come very dull. Figger on doing some file work or some very careful work on a fine belt sander. Bench grinders not recommended, they cut too much steel too fast, scratch/gouge, heat the steel and can draw the blade temper.
It didnt take long to find the kukhri a good camping tool tho it is a bit heavy for continual carry. I threw out the goatskin-covered wood sheath remnants after dropping a sapling on it and had a heavy leather sheath made. Much better, less bulky- tho in any sheath the 12" blade kuk is a beltful. Like another pistol in weight. Ive not owned nor used less than 12" blade so my experience there is nil.
My preferred length is 12" blade and @ 17" OAL. I remember thinking that the 1/4" thickness of the Indian khuk was FAT.. but since then Cold Steel has gotten me used to thicker blades, and one Nepalese khuk in my collection is a full 1/2" thick on the back near the grip. Due to the blade shape, it isnt really a stabbing weapon and tho unlikely, your hand COULD ride up on the blade edge during an attempted stab. The larger khuks are more like small swords...
Over the years Ive picked up a few others, including a nice Nepalese-made from Yangdu and the late Uncle Bill Martino, and a couple Cold Steel offerings, a jen-you-whine British arrow-marked ww2 unit and an aluminium-gripped blade of unknown provenance picked up very used in Nepal a few years back. I like em all for one thing or another but still today the rosewood-gripped Gurkha khuks are what come to my mind first when thinking "kukhri".

I do remember hearing that come to think of it. I wonder how true it is...

Depends on the size of the knife but a 9" blade going straight in is going to hit something vital for sure. Cuts can be superficial and take a long time to bleed out.

(The RAT3 was a gift from the wife - my friend that makes knives widened the finger choil to accommodate my large fingers and now it fits like an extension of my hand - One of my favorites. The Esse is about the same but more money and lifetime warranty on a knife I'm not throwing or useing as an axe so it was a financial decision. I wear it on my neck when I'm not in town.)

I do remember hearing that come to think of it. I wonder how true it is...
I guess the answer is probably more complicated than we perhaps might think. I think it was from when people fought with rapiers etc. I forget. Though of course there were times when axes and battle swords would make tremendous cuts.. as can a kukri and Bowie.
It was probably very time and weapon specific.. of course.

Don't claim to be "experienced" with the Khuk but I have owned and used several over the last 35 or so years, starting with the Indian-made Gurkha regiment knives. These knives are still available thru Atlanta Cutlery, SARCO, (and a few others), tho the price has continually crept upward. They have the hardened belly and softer backs (Differential tempering before differential tempering was cool!) and come very dull. Figger on doing some file work or some very careful work on a fine belt sander. Bench grinders not recommended, they cut too much steel too fast, scratch/gouge, heat the steel and can draw the blade temper.
It didnt take long to find the kukhri a good camping tool tho it is a bit heavy for continual carry. I threw out the goatskin-covered wood sheath remnants after dropping a sapling on it and had a heavy leather sheath made. Much better, less bulky- tho in any sheath the 12" blade kuk is a beltful. Like another pistol in weight. Ive not owned nor used less than 12" blade so my experience there is nil.
My preferred length is 12" blade and @ 17" OAL. I remember thinking that the 1/4" thickness of the Indian khuk was FAT.. but since then Cold Steel has gotten me used to thicker blades, and one Nepalese khuk in my collection is a full 1/2" thick on the back near the grip. Due to the blade shape, it isnt really a stabbing weapon and tho unlikely, your hand COULD ride up on the blade edge during an attempted stab. The larger khuks are more like small swords...
Over the years Ive picked up a few others, including a nice Nepalese-made from Yangdu and the late Uncle Bill Martino, and a couple Cold Steel offerings, a jen-you-whine British arrow-marked ww2 unit and an aluminium-gripped blade of unknown provenance picked up very used in Nepal a few years back. I like em all for one thing or another but still today the rosewood-gripped Gurkha khuks are what come to my mind first when thinking "kukhri".

It also is very location dependent.

I'd prefer a perang or machete in the jungle or very viney/ berry bushes areas. You'll wear yourself out fast swinging a kukuri in those places.

It works pretty well in the PNW though.

Dang man - triple fail: Bold & Italic font + triple post:oops:.

Good advice though;).

Cold steel Kukri's are an excellent stabbing blade. and with the weight forward they are good choppers also -- the thinner blade helps.
View attachment 314726
That looks really nice and looks like it may feel much better in the hand than my Himalayan Import version.

What I do like about mine is they make them our of recycled leaf springs off Mercedes Benz (preferable) and second choice is Toyota if I remember correctly. It's strong enough to twist/break a chain or lock and if it's shoved in a crevice, strong enough to stand on without breaking. It is a heavy bastage though.

Don't know if any one has seen one of the new Lansky's yet, but I picked one up a week ago to help clear back some berries and it works really well! Might be a good all round fighting knife, Not as aggressive a curve to the blade!
LSKUKMAna.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads