JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't know if any one has seen one of the new Lansky's yet, but I picked one up a week ago to help clear back some berries and it works really well! Might be a good all round fighting knife, Not as aggressive a curve to the blade!
View attachment 314835

I bought one very similar pattern to this - some name brand, I forget. The handle was different than that - way too small and rubs on my hand at both ends of the handle. Not good for chopping or anything else. I got it because some reviewer said it was good for throwing, but that didn't work for me.

More pictures are always good (the thread could use some more), but how do you like them? In the wilderness would you use one as you primary knife or a back up? Maybe only as a small machete?

I would not use it as a machete, mines to heavy and more of a chopper then a trail clearer.

If I absolutely had to pick only one knife then I would go with my kukuri most likely. I like having a 3", 9"+ axe and/or machete depending on where I am or what I'm doing.

Can't beat an axe for chopping or a machete for clearing - that's what they are made for.

A kukuri is a highbred of sorts.

I just woke up from a long nap so I'll haul my butt down the steps and back to get y'all a picture of mine...

Ya know, knife styles are a cultural/regional thing. Kukuris, machetes, pangas, kris, washakazis all have their own cultural origins and cult followings (usually in differing cultural settings) but remember that they were perfectly suited to their cultural origins. We here see them from our cultural perspective and biases. A Ghurka may feel obliged to disagree with sentiments here...

Micarta handles, 11" long I think and easily 1/4" all the way down (no tape near me so I guesstimated). Custom kydex sheath. I'm the 2nd owner and all of its papers of authenticity from Nepal are in a 5 digit safe that I was a little worn out to open.

IMG_1025.JPG IMG_1027.JPG IMG_1029.JPG IMG_1032.JPG IMG_1034.JPG

Tops 9" Anaconda at the end just because:p

You do not need to risk it for just a picture.

It was a good work out and I kept one hand near the rail;).

Ya know, knife styles are a cultural/regional thing. Kukuris, machetes, pangas, kris, washakazis all have their own cultural origins and cult followings (usually in differing cultural settings) but remember that they were perfectly suited to their cultural origins. We here see them from our cultural perspective and biases. A Ghurka may feel obliged to disagree with sentiments here...

Agreed except for the Kris, that has always been more of a cerimomial knife and for self defense not survival in the field.

The others developed as you said for the region they came from.

Micarta handles, 11" long I think and easily 1/4" all the way down (no tape near me so I guesstimated). Custom kydex sheath. I'm the 2nd owner and all of its papers of authenticity from Nepal are in a 5 digit safe that I was a little worn out to open.

View attachment 314883 View attachment 314884 View attachment 314885 View attachment 314886 View attachment 314887

Hey Joe, anyone local here do that sheath for you? I like the work.
My bowie has a nice leather sheath that I don't want to wreck in the wet.

Hey Joe, anyone local here do that sheath for you? I like the work.
My bowie has a nice leather sheath that I don't want to wreck in the wet.

This one came with the kukuri when i bought it - The original owner hadn't used it as far as I could tell.

However, I just got a couple kydex holsters from Ryan @ORYGUNHolsterCompany and would highly recommend him;).

I'd have taken my Anaconda with me if I could have afforded to get it one as well but it is on the list for sure and I'll be going back to the same place:cool:.

Last Edited:

View attachment 314883 View attachment 314884 View attachment 314885 View attachment 314886 View attachment 314887

Very nice! I like that handle more than the traditional ones.

It was a good work out and I kept one hand near the rail;).

Agreed except for the Kris, that has always been more of a cerimomial knife and for self defense not survival in the field.

The others developed as you said for the region they came from.

As for the kris, The Sacred Kris: Indonesian traditional knife
One of those "must haves" that I never justified or was too cheap to acquire!

More pictures are always good (the thread could use some more), but how do you like them? In the wilderness would you use one as you primary knife or a back up? Maybe only as a small machete?

Mine belonged to my grandfather, a British Army bandmaster in India around 1915-ish. I have his sword, a couple spears and conductor's baton - and a grandson of my own.

I agree the kukri is too stout and heavy for devoted trail-blazing machete-duty but is probably a fine utility tool. For fighting/defense, it would certainly keep aggressors back a yard or two. In the right hands? Who knows? Any Ghurka soldiers here?

But in that case, I'd want a modern one. Mine are 100 years old with questionably sturdy handles. Just keepsakes now, I won't even sharpen them.

Last Edited:
Mine belonged to my grandfather, a British Army bandmaster in India around 1915-ish. I have his sword, a couple spears and conductor's baton - and a grandson of my own.

I agree the kukri is too stout and heavy for devoted trail-blazing machete-duty but is probably a fine utility tool. For fighting/defense, it would certainly keep aggressors back a yard or two. In the right hands? Who knows? Any Ghurka soldiers here?

But in that case, I'd want a modern one. Mine are 100 years old with questionably sturdy handles. Just keepsakes now, I won't even sharpen them.
Cool, thanks for sharing!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads