JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Fixable?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's similar to this unit. @The Heretic

7BC24299-E366-4166-81E9-8FCF1A3F60C1.png

?mildewy?? Besides airing/drying/dehumidifier....a cheap live-with-it-pending-real-solution, consider a small open container of ground coffee beans, change periodically.

Ozone it.
Heck I've been anodizing titanium and the bubbles are reminding me of what an ozone generator smells like.

I have rechargeable dehumidifiers in the safe, when the pellets turn purple they get the 120v for a few hours.

For the record, I never smelled meth that had a cat piss aroma. Lord knows I had enough of it in my past up my nose and in my mouth.

Last Edited:
Ozone it.
Heck I've been anodizing titanium and the bubbles are reminding me of what an ozone generator smells like.

I have rechargeable dehumidifiers in the safe, when the pellets turn purple they get the 120v for a few hours.

For the record, I never smelled meth that had a cat piss aroma. Lord knows I had enough of it in my past up my nose and in my mouth.
Cat piss or meth? lol

I will ozone after work.

I've also purchased brand new metal things that gave off a pungent smell right out of the box. The culprit was factory grease on Harbor Freight saws/grinders, etc., and Chinese bb/pellet guns (quite possibly from the same factory when I think about it). Perhaps some US manufacturers buy the same grease? Who knows?

In all cases, a thorough hosing and scrub with any variety of solvents (paint thinner, mineral spirits, alcohol, WD40, etc.) got rid of the smell. Then properly re-greased with something less offensive.

Be careful to preclude voiding any warranty or avenue for return/refund by taking matters into your own hands.

Last Edited:
I've also purchased brand new metal things that gave off a pungent smell right out of the box. The culprit was factory grease on Harbor Freight saws/grinders, etc., and Chinese bb/pellet guns (quite possibly from the same factory when I think about it). Perhaps some US manufacturers buy the same grease? Who knows?

In all cases, a thorough hosing and scrub with any variety of solvents (paint thinner, mineral spirits, alcohol, WD40, etc.) got rid of the smell. Then properly re-greased with something less offensive.

Be careful to preclude voiding any warranty or avenue for return/refund by taking matters into your own hands.
Copy, thank you!

Purchased a Kodiak gun safe. The one with the swing out rack. It was used and previous owner said it was less than a year old. A 1,500-2,000 dollar safe (depending where you look) for 900 bucks? I jumped on it.

When I went to look at the safe and pick up for purchase it seemed fine. Had been inside of a garage. In the pictures they had posted it showed a dehumidifier, rechargeable kind.

Myself, my old man and a buddy get this monster 700+ pound safe home. Great right?

Next day, my garage smelled like a street worker on Christmas. Fishy. My garage does not have heaters or anything of the like. Attic is insulated, garage doors are solid wood, house stays about 74 degrees.
I took the shelving out, placed it outside because the smell was killer. Ran a box fan, put baking soda inside of the safe. Then I purchased odor remover deal (with charcoal). That didn't do the trick, I would let it air out (door open) for a few hours and run the box fan.

I have 2.5 rechargeable dehumidifies on order and arriving "Thursday". In the mean time, I liberated my plug in dehumidifier rod from my liberty safe (stored indoors within the confines of the home). I am hoping this does the trick within the next week or so.

Thought I would reach out to our community and see if there are any other tricks, suggestions, ideas, jokes. Whatever helps honestly. Did I make a mistake buying this safe for 900 dollars? I ideally would like the safe inside of the home but that's not even in the question.

LINK TO SAFE: https://www.youngsafes.com/products/kodiak-ksb5940ex-so

Take the sections of sheetrock completely out and look as the bottom metal and see if it's rusty.
This safe might have been in a flooded basement or something that soaked into the base, since they have bolt down holes through the bottom.

Very distinct smells that often stays with you. We have an ozone machine that we use at work (real property investments). With using said machine, is there any harm to whatever is in the safe? Firearms? Etc?
Lightning strikes produce ozone, as well as nitrogen oxide. Maybe leave the safe open on a golf course and let the lightning do the job.

Most safes are lined with sheetrock covered in fabric. Sheetrock sucks up moisture and will mildew fast. Remove the sheetrock and if signs of mildew replace it. I keep a 40 to 60-watt bulb on inside my safe for heat. Keeps it dry.

Believe it or not put some coffee grounds on a flat cookie sheet and close the safe door for 3 days. This little trick took out the smell of a smokers car I bought as a cheap commuter car several years back.

Believe it or not put some coffee grounds on a flat cookie sheet and close the safe door for 3 days. This little trick took out the smell of a smokers car I bought as a cheap commuter car several years back.
Thanks DB. I did put a bowl of coffee grounds in initially for a day or so.
If ozone doesn't take I will give it another shot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top