JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Fixable?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Purchased a Kodiak gun safe. The one with the swing out rack. It was used and previous owner said it was less than a year old. A 1,500-2,000 dollar safe (depending where you look) for 900 bucks? I jumped on it.

When I went to look at the safe and pick up for purchase it seemed fine. Had been inside of a garage. In the pictures they had posted it showed a dehumidifier, rechargeable kind.

Myself, my old man and a buddy get this monster 700+ pound safe home. Great right?

Next day, my garage smelled like a street worker on Christmas. Fishy. My garage does not have heaters or anything of the like. Attic is insulated, garage doors are solid wood, house stays about 74 degrees.
I took the shelving out, placed it outside because the smell was killer. Ran a box fan, put baking soda inside of the safe. Then I purchased odor remover deal (with charcoal). That didn't do the trick, I would let it air out (door open) for a few hours and run the box fan.

I have 2.5 rechargeable dehumidifies on order and arriving "Thursday". In the mean time, I liberated my plug in dehumidifier rod from my liberty safe (stored indoors within the confines of the home). I am hoping this does the trick within the next week or so.

Thought I would reach out to our community and see if there are any other tricks, suggestions, ideas, jokes. Whatever helps honestly. Did I make a mistake buying this safe for 900 dollars? I ideally would like the safe inside of the home but that's not even in the question.

My brand new Liberty had an odd smell. Still does if I go on vacation and come back. I wouldn't say "fishy" but kind of like how an old person's home smells but it really isn't that bad.

I would assume that even though your seller had a rechargeable dehumidifier in the picture that it was either placed there intentionally, or was never recharged and the whole thing was stored in a humid, warm area and developed a...... personality. Or maybe some small critter died? plenty of ways to clean most scents from most things

What materials are we talking about. Shelves? Walls? Hard surfaces can be disinfected with Clorox, then cleaned with an orange cleaner. Carpet/felt, I would remove it if possible, spray the heck out of it with Febreze. Check amazon as they have numerous odor eliminator products. Let the cleaners and do-odorizers do their work for a few days with the safe closed. charcoal especially will work best if it is closed in. Check it periodically, then air the heck out of it. A couple of box fans and a few nights might do it. If it's really bad, you may have to do this twice.

Bought a house and the garage smelled like wet dog, I ordered a Ozone generator online for bout a hundred bucks. Plugged it in for an hour. Came back and it smells like it had been thundering and lightning in my garage. Ozone has a odd smell, after a couple days it went away and garage didnt smell like a wet dog anymore. I read ozone generator should not be used in occupied space, fyi.

Lift the carpet if you can and check for stains. possible they tried to go cheap at first with the dehumidifier pellets type and tipped it over and that is what you smell. Not sure of that brand but some safes have an open hole in the back for electrical maybe a mouse was makin a house and ended up smellin like a louse........

Bought a house and the garage smelled like wet dog, I ordered a Ozone generator online for bout a hundred bucks. Plugged it in for an hour. Came back and it smells like it had been thundering and lightning in my garage. Ozone has a odd smell, after a couple days it went away and garage didnt smell like a wet dog anymore. I read ozone generator should not be used in occupied space, fyi.
Be aware of the hazards...
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

X2 ozone generator. It kills bacteria that cause the odor. Just buy one and put it inside and let it run for like 12hrs. Then air it out and done.

Yeah, ozone smells like, well... ozone.

I have a UV light that generates a lot of ozone - on purpose. Every so often I leave it on for a few hours in the master bathroom, especially now in the winter.

If you are going to get something like that, make sure you have a way to put it on a timer or turn it off remotely. You do not want to go into a confined space where there is a LOT of generated ozone and you do not want to look at a strong UV light directly.

Ozone may do the trick, it depends on what the source of the odor is - mold, etc. vs. some chemical smell.

HoppesAirFresh.jpg

What everyone else said and them some Hoppe's air freshener.

My $.02

Yeah, ozone smells like, well... ozone.

I have a UV light that generates a lot of ozone - on purpose. Every so often I leave it on for a few hours in the master bathroom, especially now in the winter.

If you are going to get something like that, make sure you have a way to put it on a timer or turn it off remotely. You do not want to go into a confined space where there is a LOT of generated ozone and you do not want to look at a strong UV light directly.

Ozone may do the trick, it depends on what the source of the odor is - mold, etc. vs. some chemical smell.
Very distinct smells that often stays with you. We have an ozone machine that we use at work (real property investments). With using said machine, is there any harm to whatever is in the safe? Firearms? Etc?

Purchased a Kodiak gun safe. The one with the swing out rack. It was used and previous owner said it was less than a year old. A 1,500-2,000 dollar safe (depending where you look) for 900 bucks? I jumped on it.

When I went to look at the safe and pick up for purchase it seemed fine. Had been inside of a garage. In the pictures they had posted it showed a dehumidifier, rechargeable kind.

Myself, my old man and a buddy get this monster 700+ pound safe home. Great right?

Next day, my garage smelled like a street worker on Christmas. Fishy. My garage does not have heaters or anything of the like. Attic is insulated, garage doors are solid wood, house stays about 74 degrees.
I took the shelving out, placed it outside because the smell was killer. Ran a box fan, put baking soda inside of the safe. Then I purchased odor remover deal (with charcoal). That didn't do the trick, I would let it air out (door open) for a few hours and run the box fan.

I have 2.5 rechargeable dehumidifies on order and arriving "Thursday". In the mean time, I liberated my plug in dehumidifier rod from my liberty safe (stored indoors within the confines of the home). I am hoping this does the trick within the next week or so.

Thought I would reach out to our community and see if there are any other tricks, suggestions, ideas, jokes. Whatever helps honestly. Did I make a mistake buying this safe for 900 dollars? I ideally would like the safe inside of the home but that's not even in the question.
Sounds like the family dogs used it as a urinal, cleaning the outside surfaces should be fairly straightforward.

Very distinct smells that often stays with you. We have an ozone machine that we use at work (real property investments). With using said machine, is there any harm to whatever is in the safe? Firearms? Etc?

Ozone, over a significant period of time, may degrade polymers (like rubber) and maybe other things - so you wouldn't want to just put an ozone generator in a safe (or a room) and just leave it on all the time. It also harms organic tissue - which is why it is often used for disinfecting things.

Saturating an area for a long period of time is not necessary. Generating ozone in a small area for 30 minutes should be sufficient for disinfecting that area, and then you could ventilate the area to remove the ozone.

I plug the light in, close the door, then leave it there for an hour or two (way more than enough time), then I hold my breath and re-enter the room and unplug the light and open a window. It can take some time to ventilate the room and some things still smell like ozone (like a hand towel).

Ozone, over a significant period of time, may degrade polymers (like rubber) and maybe other things - so you wouldn't want to just put an ozone generator in a safe (or a room) and just leave it on all the time. It also harms organic tissue - which is why it is often used for disinfecting things.

Saturating an area for a long period of time is not necessary. Generating ozone in a small area for 30 minutes should be sufficient for disinfecting that area, and then you could ventilate the area to remove the ozone.

I plug the light in, close the door, then leave it there for an hour or two (way more than enough time), then I hold my breath and re-enter the room and unplug the light and open a window. It can take some time to ventilate the room and some things still smell like ozone (like a hand towel).
Copy that! I will upload a video of the ozone machine. Maybe run it with the door closed in the safe for an hour?

Then I will wipe down the urinal as @Certaindeaf suggested. Lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads