JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a while back I bought a kimber .308 M96 which uses a mausser receiver with kimber barrel and stock. It needed some work done which included a new extractor.

Well it's been with the gun Smith for quite some time now. Bought last summer...

He is having trouble locating parts. I was wondering where I can look or direct him.
I'm getting a little anxious to shoot this thing.
I'll attach some pictures if it helps.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1393200945583.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393200965534.jpg

I'm not sure. I'm thinking of picking it up and taking it back to the pawn shop I bought it from (they are paying for repairs as they sold it to me thinking it was functional) Putting it towards an 30-06 or 7mm mag.
I liked the kimber because it was a "kimber of Clackamas" gun but I also would prefer a functioning gun.

I've found those as well.
Now I just need to get a hold of him.
Thanks for the links.
I'll shoot him a call and email.

I once worked at a shop that made 3 position safeties for the '96 Mauser, I believe Ed LaPour now makes them..
I made up a couple of rifles on the actions, we had a source for new take-off Rem. Mod. 700 bbls., from a guy in the north part of Washington that was buying new Remingtons and just using the actions, the take-offs were pretty easy to re-thread to the Swede specs,and I made up a .22-250 and a .243 Win.
I left the Remington roll stamp on the barrels, someone would look at the rifles, know that they were Mausers, and then see the Remington roll stamp, and wonder what was up....
I believe we called them "Mausingtons"....

How much work is it to convert to .243?
From what I've been told .308 is a little high pressure for the M96

IIRC, we just re-barreled them.
I don't recall any modifications to the bolt face, extractor, ejector, feed rails, or the magazine box.
We did very slightly lap the locking lugs on the bolt/receiver.
We also converted them to cock on opening rather than cock on closing, being as we used the 3 position safeties.
I think new cocking pieces were used too, that we made in house.
And, some cosmetic work was done on the bottom metal also, recontouring the trigger guard, new floorplate, and an inside the trigger guard floorplate latch.
I would think that if you kept everything else factory, just re-barreling would suffice

Last Edited:
How much work is it to convert to .243?
From what I've been told .308 is a little high pressure for the M96

.243 and .308 operate at the same pressures and have the same cartridge head size. I'd leave that alone, especially cuz it's a Kimber barrel. Somewhat collectable if nothing else.

.243 and .308 operate at the same pressures and have the same cartridge head size. I'd leave that alone, especially cuz it's a Kimber barrel. Somewhat collectable if nothing else.

Point taken.

Thanks.
Although I'm seriously contemplating an M96 collection.

I'm seriously contemplating an M96 collection.

Warning! Buy one, and it is easy to become an addict of the Swedish Mausers, especially the 6.5x55 rd. I bought a Model 38 Husqvarna about three years ago, and have since bought three more Swedes: a Model 96, an FSR, and a M94-14 Cavalry Carbine. It is good that you are planning a collection! :)

Last Edited:
Warning! Buy one, and it is easy to become an addict of the Swedish Mausers,

I wish that I was smarter about 20 some years ago when I worked at that shop I mentioned.
There were quite a few different Mausers coming into the states, for really good prices.
IIRC, the Swede Mausers were around $125 or so, Husqvarna's and... Brno?
Also, 1908 Brazilian Mausers, and 1909 Argentine Mausers, IIRC, they were about the same price as the Swedes...
I picked up a VZ24 for the same money.
There were lots of drill purpose Pattern 14 Enfields, too, at $29, I remember that price for sure.
They had drilled a hole crosswise right in front of the front receiver ring, pressed a steel rod throught the hole, and then welded the rod in
Of course, it didn't hurt the receiver any.
I wish I had picked up more of all of them, I still have a complete 1908 and a 1909 in the safe, and used a 1909 to build my .35 Whelen, a VZ24 to build my 7mm STW, and one of the P14 Enfields to build my .505 Gibbs. (For some reason, I NEEDED a .505 Gibbs...)And, of course, the .243 and the .22-250 on the '96 Swedes already mentioned.
My boss bought bunches of the Enfields, stripped them down to actions, tossed the barrels, and stored them in .50 Cal. ammo cans.
He then sold a lot of the "extra" parts to Numrich...
And, he had several cans of them, along with quite a few '96 Swede actions...
Man, I REALLY wish I'd followed his lead, the Enfields were pretty much just good for their actions, but the Swedes were in pretty good shape, dings and dents but all there....

Last Edited:
Makes me want to cry!

"Brno" is CZ, which made the VZ 24 and highly collectible Persian Mausers. After my Swedes, my favorite Mauser in my collection is definitely my Czech Brno. The action is smooth like butter!

Besides Husqvarna, the other manufacturers of the Swedish Mausers were Carl Gustav and Mauser Oberndorff Werks, in Germany.

Last Edited:
What are the most coveted '96 Swedes???
I remember when we'd get a bunch in, my boss would cherry pick the "best" ones, and us other guys would end up with the others...
I guess I was wrong on the "Brno" part, and it was more than 20 years ago after all...

I think I'm going to go do some searches for 22-250. Since I'll have the 308 soon. Ordered the parts for her.

What are the most coveted '96 Swedes???
I remember when we'd get a bunch in, my boss would cherry pick the "best" ones, and us other guys would end up with the others...
I guess I was wrong on the "Brno" part, and it was more than 20 years ago after all...

If you ask three people, you'll get three different answers. :)
For me, it would be the Model 41 Sniper version. Others like the CG80, and still others will say the Model 94 Cavalry Carbine. I like em all! :)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews