JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went into the river mouth in the kayak yesterday morning and had great success! Lots of no hook bites, one lost fish at the boat (I forgot my net in the truck and the fish snapped my line at the hook) and one success. This fish represents the end of my two year quest to catch a salmon.

IMG_20220911_085615444.jpg

IMG_20220911_092511530_HDR.jpg

Last Edited:
Awesome catch! The first is always the hardest!
I hear the black lips and spots on the tail are the best indicators. Might I ask, what were you using? I've been throwing spinners off the jetty recently and only gotten a few bites (from what you can only imagine).

Awesome catch! The first is always the hardest!
I hear the black lips and spots on the tail are the best indicators. Might I ask, what were you using? I've been throwing spinners off the jetty recently and only gotten a few bites (from what you can only imagine).
I was using a long spinner with a pink body and red beads. It won't work very well for casting from shore due to the lack of weight. Trolling a flasher worked really well for me.

You need to put that thing on your visor and get a couple spares!
I really wish I had spent more time getting the boat ready to fish the nehalem this year... guess I'll be stuck competing for river front property again.
Tight lines!

You need to put that thing on your visor and get a couple spares!
I really wish I had spent more time getting the boat ready to fish the nehalem this year... guess I'll be stuck competing for river front property again.
Tight lines!
Comments like this make me glad that I went the kayak route. My only complaint is that I'll have to wait until the kids are bigger before they can salmon fish their own kayak.

Kayaks and canoes have always been my preferred mode of transportation on the water, which is why I really appreciate threads like this. I have a GF that can't swim; a bay worthy boat was cheaper than a kayak, even if it is a project.

Buy a jet boat and enjoy the river/lakes. Use the fuel while it's still plentiful and available. Pull your kids and friends on skis and tubes or wakeboards. You meet the nicest people while motorized boating, unlike kayaking where there's too much uptight complainers. Oh yea, you can fish also!

Kayaks and canoes have always been my preferred mode of transportation on the water, which is why I really appreciate threads like this. I have a GF that can't swim; a bay worthy boat was cheaper than a kayak, even if it is a project.
I lived in Hawaii for five years and took a similar kayak out in the deep blue.

Comments like this make me glad that I went the kayak route. My only complaint is that I'll have to wait until the kids are bigger before they can salmon fish their own kayak.
Drift boat.... good in the bay, up in the estuary, and great on the river!!!

Bay fishing on the Chetco and Rogue, I always used a weightless spinner like that that I made myself. A banana weight to get it down. Or a planer that has a release.

Red, or red in combo with other colors like yellow or green, has always been the best color for me for salmon. I also like to put red surgical tubing on the hook shank for added attraction.

Also trolled rigged anchovie quite a bit for salmon. Upriver too (back bounced/trolled). Back bouncing salmon eggs upriver is killer... save and cure those fresh eggs!!! :)

Last Edited:
I've been throwing spinners off the jetty recently and only gotten a few bites (from what you can only imagine).
What spinner are YOU using?

I fished the estuaries and bays off the bank with the largest size (5/0) weighted homemade Jed Davis spinners. Silver (real) blade and silver coated body/beads, red 1/4" tape stripe on the underside of blade, red surgical tubing on the shank of hook.

It's a salmon killer. Might go a to a smaller one for coho season.

I also used a cork bobber and an anchovie off the jetty in the bays with great success.

What spinner are YOU using?

I fished the estuaries and bays off the bank with the largest size (5/0) weighted homemade Jed Davis spinners. Silver (real) blade and silver coated body/beads, red 1/4" tape stripe on the underside of blade, red surgical tubing on the shank of hook.

It's a salmon killer. Might go a to a smaller one for coho season.

I also used a cork bobber and an anchovie off the jetty in the bays with great success.
Pink vibrax candybacks, 4/0. A 5/0 or 6/0 with a hoochie trailer would definitely be more appealing to me.
I'll look into getting some of those in my hands. I'm definitely interested in the bobber trick, since I imagine the bycatch is a blast. I'll be better prepped next time, and take it more seriously

Here's one for the people in the know, I've a got an old Abu Ambassadeur, and with it rigged with the flasher and 6oz weight, if I don't set the drag really tight, the handle free spins and won't reel. There is a reverse nut on the end that I can tighten, but I can only get it so tight.

I'm a fly fisher and spinning reel guy, so this casting rod is new to me, long story; I bought a caster rod accidently and doubled down - turns out I can't cast a casting rod to save my life.

I'm used to being able to use the drag and still feel with the same drag setting; is the reel bad?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews