JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For what species???

For salmon, a boat troll. Bait or salt water spinner. Banana weight. I don't know what bait works best there, but anchovy works in other places I fished.'

From the shore... I caught my first salmon on an anchovy rig with an 8oz weight under a big cork bobber from the jetty at Brookings. You need to be somewhere the fish hang out or pass by... Tillamook Bay is huge!!!

I was looking at the inlet / jetty bay park on the north end, and going up and down from there.

Double rig Anchovy on a cork bobber with a weight on the bottom at the jetty (the amount of weight depends on the speed of the tide/current). The trick is that in those locations the salmon move in and out, waiting to migrate upriver or further staging into the bay. The fish are there or they are not. Even if they are coming in, it's not continuous, you have to wait for a run to occur. Also, you have to know when the Tillamook migration pattern is, could be they are all already inside the bay... ask at the local shops.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Break

Any member more familiar with this run that can chime in with good info????

I was looking at the inlet / jetty bay park on the north end, and going up and down from there.
I think you mean the "outlet" or the "jaws"
Be dang careful down there.

Another way to tap into Tillamook Chinook without a boat is to fish "cork water".
There are 5 rivers that feed Tillamook Bay and each one has this type of water.
The locals will fish eggs or eggs/sandshrimp or jigs under a depth-adjustable float.

The Wilson River has the best bank access followed by the Trask River and then the Kilchis River.

These fish start moving out of the Bay with the start of the rainy season.
This is when you start following them up the river systems and learning the "spots" to ambush them.

I think you mean the "outlet" or the "jaws"
Be dang careful down there.

Another way to tap into Tillamook Chinook without a boat is to fish "cork water".
There are 5 rivers that feed Tillamook Bay and each one has this type of water.
The locals will fish eggs or eggs/sandshrimp or jigs under a depth-adjustable float.

The Wilson River has the best bank access followed by the Trask River and then the Kilchis River.

These fish start moving out of the Bay with the start of the rainy season.
This is when you start following them up the river systems and learning the "spots" to ambush them.

I thought OP meant the jetty at the bar (never heard it called the outlet or the jaws).

So the fish (Chinook) are in the bay already and no more runs coming in over the bar. I thought so because I have a buddy that trolls the bay in late summer. Soooo, what you are saying is that the fish are right now stacked up near the river mouths waiting to go upriver with the start of the rainy season? This is the time of the year that happens where I fished (Chetco and Rogue River). Soooooo, OP should be fishing the mouth of the rivers you mentioned, not at the jetty, with the baits you mentioned. Good stuff!!!

OP might try a Red 5/0 Jed Davis spinner in those areas too. I have had great success with it at the mouth of the Winchuck. Slow retrieve so the spinner gets a good "pulsing" in the water.

I thought OP meant the jetty at the bar (never heard it called the outlet or the jaws).

So the fish (Chinook) are in the bay already and no more runs coming in over the bar. I thought so because I have a buddy that trolls the bay in late summer. Soooo, what you are saying is that the fish are right now stacked up near the river mouths waiting to go upriver with the start of the rainy season? This is the time of the year that happens where I fished (Chetco and Rogue River). Soooooo, OP should be fishing the mouth of the rivers you mentioned, not at the jetty, with the baits you mentioned. Good stuff!!!

OP might try a Red 5/0 Jed Davis spinner in those areas too. I have had great success with it at the mouth of the Winchuck. Slow retrieve so the spinner gets a good "pulsing" in the water.
The phrase intertidal zones sounds about right.

The phrase intertidal zones sounds about right.

I don't think so.... having grown up near the ocean and lived in two diff ocean cities, the intertidal zone is where you find anenomes, sea cucumbers, moss, lots of barnacles, mussels (bait) etc, on the rocks, mud flats, etc. It is the area between the tides, the area exposed when the tide goes out.

I think estuary is the zone we want to fish right now.

Last Edited:
Beaches and land to high water mark was deemed public highway in the 60's to allow people access to harvest areas. Find a pull out and walk down. If you can float a boat down it it's navigable.

This isn't a Jed Davis homemade spinner, but it gives you an idea of how heavy a salmon spinner should be... the weight being lighter for faster/shallower water and heavier for slower/deeper water. I used a 5/0 in 6' deep water because of the weight on large blade size... attracts salmon in darker water, smaller for more clear water. I like a real silver spoon because it's bright and easy to see, but not as much flash. (Note: use of a steelhead size rod to allow casting w/o a sinker)

IMG_8513-1024x768.jpg

Wh8IMpvKz2zjm1DJ77iACn6lOpfVDjMK34-ybm6-u&usqp=CAc.jpg
Vibrax are ok.

These are a Jed Davis design. But for salmon I like a silver (French) blade and silver body with a red tube over the hook shank. A tarnished black blade can be good in clear water for contrast.
SalmonBuster.jpg

I don't know about t-spoons but my best fishin bud uses Thomas (Bouyant model) spoons in slow water or deep hole:

TL-T101-N-2.jpg

Thomas-Buoyant-Hot-Flash-Pink__78937.1565967837.jpg

Don't forget to bring a steelhead/salmon sized net!!!

Last Edited:
Beaches and land to high water mark was deemed public highway in the 60's to allow people access to harvest areas. Find a pull out and walk down. If you can float a boat down it it's navigable.
Actually if you can float a inner tube on most rivers. I had a issue on the Washougal river when I was young the Skamania County. Sheriffs thought they new better than what the law says and would trespass you and if you didn't leave they would arrest you. I found a group of lawyers on the net that specialized in that area and found out what the law really says.
Stacy

talked to a guy at sportsmans, he said wait until about a week after fall rains to go to tillamook, until then try the sandy river and other tributaries of columbia up north.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top