JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
me and the family are heading up towards the coos Bay Area then up to Newport for a a week. Just wondering if there's anywhere around there we can crab from a dock or something, maybe a places that rents equipment and has a spot to throw them out. Also any tips would Ben great. Never done it's before and would like to be somewhat successful. Thanks guys

Cheap frozen Turkey drum sticks work great and last a long time. Bring along some zip ties to hold them tight to the bottom of the rings and Sea Lions won't bother them like they will with fish heads.
Make sure the males are of legal size, as the fines aren't worth keeping ones that almost fit the crab gauge.
A morning incoming tide is best and a slack tide between changes generally produces the most as the crab aren't swept past your traps.
I like to check rings every 10 to15 minutes or so, as crab will move on after eating their fill.
Check the live crabs for black looking puncture holes in their shells, as they can still be alive, but will be kinda rotten under the injured shell and will ruin the flavor of the other crabs when you boil them.

Last Edited:
There was a fishing dock in Newport that you could crab from if it's still there .
And there was a place that would rent boats and gear . small boats for in the bay .

The last I was crabbing in Newport there was public dock under the bridge near the brewery. Another was upriver just a bit on north side of bay before bend. Bridge still in sight. Good luck.

When we're up that way, we're usually in Charleston for one of the beaches or to hit Shore Acres botanical garden (which I wholeheartedly recommend). In Charleston, there is a dock just over the bridge when you're headed out there that we crab from. The nearby market sells licenses if you need one and has all the equipment for rent or purchase. We've had reasonable success there on several trips and will likely do it next time we're there.

Side note, we caught a dark green crab last time that turns out to be an invasive species which we turned into ODFW. All the rest were Dungeness or Red Rock.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit: One other thing, unless you plan on putting out a lot of traps or crabbing frequently, it's easier to rent traps than buy, store, and transport them.

Last Edited:
The last I was crabbing in Newport there was public dock under the bridge near the brewery. Another was upriver just a bit on north side of bay before bend. Bridge still in sight. Good luck.
That's the one I was thinking about .
Now I remember it was under the bridge .

When my Coast Guard buddy lived in Coquille, we went crabbing near the USCG Air Station North Bend. We had a boat and pulled in family limits in an hour. Boat is best. Rent one if you can!

Ditto on the turkey leg. I was just discussing this with my Physical Therapist on Wednesday... it's the real deal!

If you use traps, I wire up a turkey drum stick by the leg bone dangling down from the top center of the inside of the trap, so that it can wobble around a bit and also I tie around the turkey's leg bone a small mesh bag with some stinky sardine fishing bait as an attractant.

Area 7 crab opens July 11.
Area 8 is open now.

Don't crabs molt in the summer months up in your neck of the woods? I've never really crabbed accept many years ago, early '80s, where we rented a boat at The Old Mill in Garibaldi. So many years ago but knowing what I know now I think pushing crabbing as a fun family adventure going after crab in the summer that unaware people are getting a bunch of crab with no meat in them. I do remember one time way back buying A crab fresh cooked crab from a fish market in Garibaldi that was very expensive, and with very little meat and fairly soft.

Don't crabs molt in the summer months up in your neck of the woods? I've never really crabbed accept many years ago, early '80s, where we rented a boat at The Old Mill in Garibaldi. So many years ago but knowing what I know now I think pushing crabbing as a fun family adventure going after crab in the summer that unaware people are getting a bunch of crab with no meat in them. I do remember one time way back buying A crab fresh cooked crab from a fish market in Garibaldi that was very expensive, and with very little meat and fairly soft.
Area 7 is always the last area to open because of that .
And if you catch a soft crab you are supposed to release it.
There are 3 areas in the sound that are not going to open this year.
Hood canal and around Vashon island.
And the area around point defiance.
Because the crab have been over fished.
From what I understand.

I crabbed at Garibaldi, one of my fav places to visit, a few times. And once was fortunate to be there when there was an extreme low tide and we walked out on the flats to harvest clams. I remember they had gas cookers we rented and we cooked up both crab and clams. I've also been nearby when the fish markets didn't have crab due to the soft shell problem... the timing has to be right... can't buy fresh PNW crab year round...

Area 7 is always the last area to open because of that .
And if you catch a soft crab you are supposed to release it.
There are 3 areas in the sound that are not going to open this year.
Hood canal and around Vashon island.
And the area around point defiance.
Because the crab have been over fished.
From what I understand.

The old axiom hold true. "Crabbing is best in months with an "R" in it." People in the know will have to sort through a bunch in the summer to get some with hard shells. At a glimpse, and a squeeze of a leg, some one wanting to take crab home will keep crabs that are half full. This applies especially tourists and those not experienced enough. It's kind of like what I call "Salmon Goggles". I've worn them. You hook that 25lber in the Columbia up here. It looks just great, bright enough, you tell yourself. After and hour in the fish box cooling you open the box to admire your fine catch. That's when you notice the fish looks darker than it was when you netted it! You kept a Tule! I imagine "Crab Goggles" are a thing too.

I crabbed at Garibaldi, one of my fav places to visit, a few times. And once was fortunate to be there when there was an extreme low tide and we walked out on the flats to harvest clams. I remember they had gas cookers we rented and we cooked up both crab and clams. I've also been nearby when the fish markets didn't have crab due to the soft shell problem... the timing has to be right... can't buy fresh PNW crab year round...

We used to spend a lot of time in Garibaldi. Burley's Tavern long ago. Before I even moved to Oregon in '83. Before I was in high school too, in 1970. On vacation with my folks and dad had his boat on top of the van. We motored out on low tide to the sand bars in the bay and raked cockles. I don't bother with that anymore. We buy crab a couple or three times during the season and best price.

In the years I been setting pots around here I have had a few soft ones.
Like you said it's not worth it to take them.
No meat .
It's just another mark on your catch card for nothing.
I always throw them back.

Keep the good ones. IMAG0135.jpg IMAG0128.jpg

We motored out on low tide to the sand bars in the bay and raked cockles. I don't bother with that anymore.

Yup, we mostly got cockles. A few smoothshell clams, IDK what they were... maybe butter clams. I don't bother with much anymore, seems like it's either too expensive to get there, too much trouble, or too strenuous. Sucks not making new memories!!!

Oh yum!!!!!!!!!

The old axiom hold true. "Crabbing is best in months with an "R" in it." People in the know will have to sort through a bunch in the summer to get some with hard shells. At a glimpse, and a squeeze of a leg, some one wanting to take crab home will keep crabs that are half full. This applies especially tourists and those not experienced enough. It's kind of like what I call "Salmon Goggles". I've worn them. You hook that 25lber in the Columbia up here. It looks just great, bright enough, you tell yourself. After and hour in the fish box cooling you open the box to admire your fine catch. That's when you notice the fish looks darker than it was when you netted it! You kept a Tule! I imagine "Crab Goggles" are a thing too.

Yep, if they are abnormally slimy and stink then, it's a Lewis river Tuley and gets released post haste in my boat...:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top