JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On August 16th, Kate Brown signed SB 719 into law.

This bill, sponsored by Senators Brian Boquist and Ginny Burdick, allows the police to confiscate firearms from people who have been neither convicted of, nor accused of a crime. These confiscations will be based solely on ex parte testimony of people who need have no mental health credentials but can claim that another person is a threat to themselves or others.

Testimony from mental health professionals may NOT be considered. The respondent will receive no notice of this action and no opportunity to defend himself against the order until after his firearms have been confiscated.

The bill offers no help for people who are suicidal and no protection for people living with someone who is genuinely dangerous.

You may lose your guns if you have ever had a DUI or if you have legally purchased a firearm in the last 6 months.

The post Kate Brown Signs Gun Confiscation Law appeared first on Oregon Firearms Federation.

------
Oregon Firearms Federation

wow. Very slippery slope there

I just wonder how bad it will be abused.

Think about it....... you and your significant other gets into an argument. They call the police. They tell them that you have access to firearms and you took off to a friends' house who also has firearms. You're "in fear" as to what might happen.

2 people get police raids to confiscate everything.

This is just crazy!

I have a feeling some unfortunate soul in Oregon will have to become a test case for the legality of this - lose their gun rights, without due process, then have to sue Oregon over it. I guess you need to be nice to everyone you know, just so they don't report you out of spite.

I have a feeling some unfortunate soul in Oregon will have to become a test case for the legality of this - lose their gun rights, without due process, then have to sue Oregon over it. I guess you need to be nice to everyone you know, just so they don't report you out of spite.
Don't know how this would actually work. I'm guessing that you would have to sue based on the law being unconstitutional in that you were denied the opportunity to represent yourself prior to confiscation. But the thing is that you are never accused of a crime so you wouldn't have the protection afforded by the constitution. The law says a judge can rule in favor of the accuser therefore, according to the new law, it is due process.

It's self serving, circular logic. You are having guns taken away because you are mentally ill, but you can't go to court saying you are not mentally ill. :confused:

If someone was writing a book or movie based on this, they would scrap it since there is absolutely no way it makes sense.

Yeah, like there was any chance she WASN'T going to sign this useless piece of garbage "legislation". :rolleyes::mad:

Don't know how this would actually work. I'm guessing that you would have to sue based on the law being unconstitutional in that you were denied the opportunity to represent yourself prior to confiscation. But the thing is that you are never accused of a crime so you wouldn't have the protection afforded by the constitution. The law says a judge can rule in favor of the accuser therefore, according to the new law, it is due process.

It's self serving, circular logic. You are having guns taken away because you are mentally ill, but you can't go to court saying you are not mentally ill. :confused:

If someone was writing a book or movie based on this, they would scrap it since there is absolutely no way it makes sense.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm willing to bet some attorneys out there could tear this thing apart if someone were unjustly accused under this law and had their possessions taken without due process. I don't know how that would work either, but I'm sure some smart folks out there could figure it out. And if they do, I hope Kate and her brood are publicly humiliated by having this law shoved back down their damn throats.

Last Edited:
Wondering how the tipping point has moved so far to the left. The governor sign a bill into law to make killing the unborn free of cost to everyone in the state, regardless of nationality or legal status, in a state that approves of suicide, and with assistance no less, and then seeks to send swat teams to your home to disarm you if a stranger thinks you may be contemplating taking your own life. How can this be acceptable to anyone with even half a brain?

Wondering how the tipping point has moved so far to the left. The governor sign a bill into law to make killing the unborn free of cost to everyone in the state, regardless of nationality or legal status, in a state that approves of suicide, and with assistance no less, and then seeks to send swat teams to your home to disarm you if a stranger thinks you may be contemplating taking your own life. How can this be acceptable to anyone with even half a brain?
Because for the last 50+ years law abiding, freedom loving Americans have been allowing these ILLEGAL and UNCONSTITUITIONAL pieces of legislation to pass without question! Oh yes, they had their "public input" time on certain bills and sometimes allowed for opposing arguments but as we have seen since SB941 passed, now the "political elite" don't even try to make a show of "fairness" they just slap an emergency sticker to it and away they go!
I think its safe to say the majority of us on this site and gun owners in general are law abiding, generous, hard working individuals who just want to be left alone to work and live our lives without government interference, but that is not what is happening. Every aspect of our lives is being subjected to more and more control, how our kids are indoctrinated at "school", to what questions our doctors ask us that have nothing to do with our health whatsoever, to tighter restrictions on vehicle emissions, fuel consumption, hunting, fishing etc etc. It doesn't stop anymore, its never enough and never will be until (we the people) decide we are done being treated like subjects and are not willing to continue having our rights stripped from us!
You ask, HOW CAN THIS BE ACCEPTABLE?? It's not, but sadly there are not enough people willing to take a stand and change it! It's wrong, tragic, digusting and every other nasty word you can think to call it! It's absolutley horrific, yet here we are continuing down a path that has an ugly end in sight and not enough people seem to care.
Lars Larson says on his radio show often that if you "don't like what is happening in your state or county then vote them out and replace them". Well how is that working out for Oregon and across the country? When the elites don't get the vote they wanted they just take it a court and them overturn the results or just flat out ignore the law all together!
Very tragic days we live in! Just my opinyon for what its worth!

On August 16th, Kate Brown signed SB 719 into law.

This bill, sponsored by Senators Brian Boquist and Ginny Burdick, allows the police to confiscate firearms from people who have been neither convicted of, nor accused of a crime. These confiscations will be based solely on ex parte testimony of people who need have no mental health credentials but can claim that another person is a threat to themselves or others.

Testimony from mental health professionals may NOT be considered. The respondent will receive no notice of this action and no opportunity to defend himself against the order until after his firearms have been confiscated.

The bill offers no help for people who are suicidal and no protection for people living with someone who is genuinely dangerous.

You may lose your guns if you have ever had a DUI or if you have legally purchased a firearm in the last 6 months.

The post Kate Brown Signs Gun Confiscation Law appeared first on Oregon Firearms Federation.

------
Oregon Firearms Federation

JHC! I'm sorry guys, but the more I hear about things like this the more I thank God I no longer live up there.
Was just talking with Henry Bowman the other day. We agreed it's about time to go out and catch some more wild hogs to restock the pen with...

I guess you need to be nice to everyone you know, just so they don't report you out of spite.
While I do not like or agree with bills or laws like the one in the OP ... There is a lot of truth in etrain's statement.
Folks be careful in what you say and do , if you are a "Known Gun Owner".
Everything you say or do can be taken out of context or misheard and used against you ... Think before you speak or act.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads