JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
KAMIKAZE ATTACK IN 1945
This is incredible actual footage during the
80-minute attack on the U.S.S.Laffey. About the best naval footage
ever shot by a Navy cameraman. The camera was in the gun turret under
attack. It's Amazing!
The
U.S.S. Laffey, "the ship that would not die", was hit by 6 Kamikazes
and 4 bombs, but remained afloat
after an 80 minute battle that included 22 Kamikaze attacks.
Click on the
link
below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4zkp7hvrgbcd7gd/D-qPNsG9ym?preview=Laffey+Enhanced+vo+3.wmv
Laffey Enhanced Voiceover

My Dad was the mechanic on an LCT during some of those attacks. He told me one time a Kamikaze decided he didn't want to die for the Emperor after all, and ditched his plane in the ocean next to the boat. My Dad who had a BAR was ordered to shoot the pilot by his officer, but he refused and wouldn't let anybody kill him. They picked him up and took him prisoner instead. I admire people who manage to retain their humanity in a war.

Amazing footage, hats of to those brave sailors! Man, those five inch guns can put out rounds! I also liked the POM POM guns continuing to fire from within the fireball of the first bomb! Tough boys, there!:)

We visited Pearl Harbor a few years ago and did the tour of the Missouri while we were there. Part of the tour points to damage the ship sustained in a Kamikaze attack. What struck me most about that is that when they show you the damage (it was never repaired, apparently in an act of defiance), it's pretty hard to see it - it's just a little bump in the ship. I tell you, those ships were just damned impressive for their strength and firepower. I kind of wish our modern Navy still had some of those old school style destroyers and battleships - kind of golden era of Naval supremacy - now just museum pieces.

My grandfather served in WWII aboard a 'jeep' carrier which served as the flagship for Taffy 3 in the south Pacific. My father served aboard a carrier in Vietnam. So many great folks served our country in so many ways, it's hard to fathom all the sacrifice, all the loss, but so much bravery, so much dedication.

Last Edited:
They wanted my Grandpa to do this and he refused and called the Kamikaze "cowardice" and vowed to fight until he was shot out of the Sky in Okinawa. He was only 23 and Lt. was the highest rank one could achieve while being in the flight seat. Eventually he was shot down by a group of Corsair fighters, one of them was Pappy Boyington and he heard about Boyington and met him and said "We only heard about you and I never would imagine meeting you alive, much less a POW. You're a legend among even us." They had that kind of respect for each other right down to the very end. He died in 1988 (Boyington) the year I was born, and my grandpa died in 2011. the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor which also happens to be my birthday

Last Edited:
They wanted my Grandpa to do this and he refused and called the Kimkaze "cowardice" and vowed to fight until he was shot out of the Sky. He was only 23 and Lt. was the highest rank one could achieve while being in the flight seat. Eventually he was shot down by a group of Corsair fighters, one of them was Pappy Boyington and he heard about Boyington and met him and said "We only heard about you and I never would imagine meeting you alive, much less a POW. You're a legend among even us." They had that kind of respect for each other right down to the very end. He died in 1988 (Boyington) the year I was born, and my grandpa died in 2011. the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor which also happens to be my birthday

Thanks for sharing that. It's always interesting to hear the stories from both sides. I was kind of surprised at the number of Japanese I encountered at the Pearl Harbor memorial - it made me wonder how Japanese today view the events of 70 years ago. I've tried to discuss WWII with a friend from Germany, but it is a subject he chooses not to discuss.

We were told that the family of the young pilot that was killed when he hit the Missouri (as referenced in my story above) was brought to Pearl Harbor some time back, to the Missouri, as I recall as a way for the family to close out that piece of their history. There was a small display on the ship showing that event. Very interesting.

My stepdad was on the USS Maryland. One day when I was a teenager I came downstairs with a pair of bell bottom pants on and he laughed at me and said, what'yd do, join the Navy. Later he told me he always hated those pants. LOL He had a annual from his time of service showing the ship taking hits from two Kamikazes and a torpedo through the bow while he was on board. He was a 5" gunner. Good stepdad, taught me a lot.

Last Edited:
Thanks for sharing that. It's always interesting to hear the stories from both sides. I was kind of surprised at the number of Japanese I encountered at the Pearl Harbor memorial - it made me wonder how Japanese today view the events of 70 years ago. I've tried to discuss WWII with a friend from Germany, but it is a subject he chooses not to discuss.

We were told that the family of the young pilot that was killed when he hit the Missouri (as referenced in my story above) was brought to Pearl Harbor some time back, to the Missouri, as I recall as a way for the family to close out that piece of their history. There was a small display on the ship showing that event. Very interesting.

Well some might not want to. But it's silly they won't. Because it had nothing to do with the young people of today. So anytime an American and a Chinese tell us that "Japan should apologize for their atrocities from 70 and 80 years ago." I'm like uhhh what? I never knew I was responsible for something my grandpa did. Are you serious? I wasn't aware I was alive in the late 30's and 40's. I must be a resurrected Kamikaze zombie or something. So when I said that they give me this look of confusion and anger lololololol. No constructive logic behind that. They always tell us to apologize EVERY year around Pearl Harbor and Nanking. No way. You want apologies? Go to the graves of those who were carried out that war crime. Sorry but i'm not apologizing for historical actions done by Japan. It has absolutely nothing to do with me. You cannot argue that. That's like me asking Americans to apologize for little boy and fat man projects. See my point? You guy's didn't do it.

Last Edited:
Well some might not want to. But it's silly they won't. Because it had nothing to do with the young people of today. So anytime an American and a Chinese tell us that "Japan should apologize for their atrocities from 70 and 80 years ago." I'm like uhhh what? I never knew I was responsible for something my grandpa did. Are you serious? I wasn't aware I was alive in the late 30's and 40's. I must be a resurrected Kamikaze zombie or something. So when I said that they give me this look of confusion and anger lololololol. No constructive logic behind that. They always tell us to apologize EVERY year around Pearl Harbor and Nanking. No way. You want apologies? Go to the graves of those who were carried out that war crime. Sorry but i'm not apologizing for historical actions done by Japan. It has absolutely nothing to do with me. You cannot argue that. That's like me asking Americans to apologize for little boy and fat man projects. See my point? You guy's didn't do it.

It's amazing how many people don't get that simple concept. I'm also not personally responsible for slavery or kicking native Americans off their land - and I would in no way feel obligated to apologize for such things. You're right, the atrocities of the past, no matter what they are, rest squarely on the shoulders of those that did them. The best we can do is to learn from those mistakes and do our best not to repeat them, and to maybe, if possible, make the world into a better place.

I wish to make one correction for the sake of history and truth. Kamikazes were NOT at Pearl Harbor. The Kamikaze were introduced near the end of WWII as suicidal mission pilots to destroy
warships. The first Kamikaze attack took place on Oct 24 1944. I reenlisted abroad the Arizona (Memorial) and it is a solemn and special place.

KAMIKAZE ATTACK IN 1945
This is incredible actual footage during the
80-minute attack on the U.S.S.Laffey. About the best naval footage
ever shot by a Navy cameraman. The camera was in the gun turret under
attack. It's Amazing!
The
U.S.S. Laffey, "the ship that would not die", was hit by 6 Kamikazes
and 4 bombs, but remained afloat
after an 80 minute battle that included 22 Kamikaze attacks.
Click on the
link
below.

Dropbox - Laffey Enhanced Voiceover (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4zkp7hvrgbcd7gd/D-qPNsG9ym?preview=Laffey+Enhanced+vo+3.wmv)
Laffey Enhanced Voiceover
This is the restored ship now.
090819_Laffey_019.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR