JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Kahr K40 that functions fine for me, but I bought it used. The only complaint I have is that it dents the case upon extraction/ejection...the case mouth looks "D-shaped" when viewed from above. It's only an issue for me because I reload and I don't trust that brass for re-use.

As far as a "break-in" period, Kahr is the only pistol I've owned that specifically mentions a break-in period in the user's manual. As another poster suggested, if that's the case, they should break-it in at the factory before the consumer has to spend their own cash to make their already over-priced guns reliable. Their product line is almost entirely CCW guns where reliability is the prime concern. They should be reliable out of the box...

I have a Kahr K40 that functions fine for me, but I bought it used. The only complaint I have is that it dents the case upon extraction/ejection...the case mouth looks "D-shaped" when viewed from above. It's only an issue for me because I reload and I don't trust that brass for re-use.

My Kahr .45 stopped doing this after about 500 to 600 rounds.

I don't really agree with the factory breaking-in a weapon. At that point, it becomes more used than anything in my minds eye. I'd rather do it myself. During that time, I get to the know the weapon, how it shoots, how it handles, and can practice certain things, and learn to instinctively trust it in person. Rather than just taking some other guys word for it.

Beyond a few revolvers, only semi-auto pistols I've had, that didn't require even a few rounds for break in were some Ruger P series pistols. My P95 has operated flawlessly from day one, out of the box without even being striped from box to range. I am sure there are other pistols out there that would operate the same out of the box, but in my experiences thus far. A Kahr will not.

Running the ammo through the gun is good for YOU and the gun... If you buy a tiny little centerfire pistol you are not buying it not for USPSA or Bullseye shooting.... You are buying it on the possibility that you might have to shoot someone with it.

This potential event would be kinda like the superbowl of YOUR LIFE.... The quarterback in the superbowl has probably thrown more than 500 passes in practice, and that is just for a game, for money. You are playing for something a little more valuable.... Just my $0.02 but I meet a lot of people who buy some little pocket rocket.... complain about the cost of ammo, shoot half a box and think, "I'm good."

What are you trying to say? I'm not complaining about running bullets through my gun. I usually buy 1000rd at a time. I'm saying you should need 200-300hundred rounds to get it to shoot right. I have cheap guns that don't require a breaking. Breaking in a gun?? Wth how many moving parts are there?? Not many where the bullet travels? Fire pin and slide? What needs to be broke in?? Burrs? Shouldn't take that many rounds JMO

I hate to hear of these issues with Kahrs. I've hundreds of rounds through a CW9 and a MK9 with no hiccups shooting blazer crap ammo. That's why I carry them. I've had problems with Sigs, Walthers, and Rugers, but none with Kahr.

I hate to hear of these issues with Kahrs. I've hundreds of rounds through a CW9 and a MK9 with no hiccups shooting blazer crap ammo. That's why I carry them. I've had problems with Sigs, Walthers, and Rugers, but none with Kahr.

Me 2. I had problems with a Walther. It was a picky eater. Once I found what it liked I was happy. If a gun likes certain ammo that find but needing the break in doesn't make sense to me. Did your Kahrs require this or were they good outta the box?

I don't really agree with the factory breaking-in a weapon. At that point, it becomes more used than anything in my minds eye. I'd rather do it myself. During that time, I get to the know the weapon, how it shoots, how it handles, and can practice certain things, and learn to instinctively trust it in person. Rather than just taking some other guys word for it.

Beyond a few revolvers, only semi-auto pistols I've had, that didn't require even a few rounds for break in were some Ruger P series pistols. My P95 has operated flawlessly from day one, out of the box without even being striped from box to range. I am sure there are other pistols out there that would operate the same out of the box, but in my experiences thus far. A Kahr will not.

I've put over 2000 rounds through my K40 since I bought it used and even had to replace the recoil spring because the slide would not return to battery, so I'd have expected the case denting problem to have fixed itself if this was a break-in issue.

For a pistol that I'm going to bet my life on, I want it to be 100% reliable...no FRTB, FTE, FTEj, or stovepipes. While I practice malfunction drills a lot, they are self-induced failures and I hope to never experience a true malfunction when I have to draw my gun in self-defense. I have a Sig P250 that is hands-down the most reliable pistol I've ever owned. I'm closing in on 7700 rounds with absolutely zero malfunctions since I bought it new 2-1/2 yrs ago. I've fed it everything from Blazer aluminum (just to see if it would work OK...it did) to my own LSWC reloads. This is a gun I trust my life with. The other is a newer H&K P2000 that has also never once malfunctioned in over 3200 rounds.

If you think malfunction drills build character and familiarity with a gun...stick with a gun that's a picky eater, needs to be broken in, of malfunctions occasionally for no apparent reason. Personally, I have no use for such a firearm. I prefer to put rounds on target each and every time I pull the trigger...I'm just funny that way I guess.

I'd love to find the customer who would pay to have the factory break-in the gun before buying it.
Maybe the real problem is buying a cheaped-down version thinking you'll get The same gun for less??
This is what i don't understand?? Whats the breaking for??? How many moving parts are there?? 1-2. Should be needed. Break in if to get rid of burrs. There many many other guns that don't require this. And if you look at other post there ppl who don't need a break in with there Kahrs. To me the Qc/ machine or plate tolerance is to high? Or maybe the workers are??

I'd love to find the customer who would pay to have the factory break-in the gun before buying it.
Maybe the real problem is buying a cheaped-down version thinking you'll get The same gun for less??
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks again to all. I will check into "Kahr Talk" and glean what I can. I do take very good care of my firearms.... I do not think that Kahr would have replaced the slide on my CM9 if they did not need to. And , in fact, it no longer ejected spent shells back towards my head which was a great improvement. November and December is the busy season in my line of work so I hope that after things slow down I can get back to the range and put more ammo through this gun and then get back to you later with hopefully better results. One more note, - the differences between the PM9 and the CM9 when considered individually should not account for any change in reliability.

Phantom:

You might want to go here for some info:

KahrTalk Home

Find the Proper Prep stickied Thread and follow the suggestions there.

Proper prep of a new kahr - KahrTalk Forums

Lube Diagram:

Kahr Lube Diagram - KahrTalk Forums

Show your gun some love, and it will perform better.

Tilos

I love the part where they tell you to "rack the slide 500 times as fast as you can"....seriously? And this would accomplish what??? Breaking in the recoil spring??? More than likely it's to develop proper muscle memory to deal with all the malfunctions to come...

This last Saturday the 11th of Feb' I finally got back to the range to put more rounds through this little Kahr CM9. We're over 150 successfully fired rounds now and this gun is now showing itself to be much more reliable. Of the 50 to 60 rounds fired this time.... I only had 8 malfunctions... not all the same. I'm actually very encouraged by this latest go 'round. Before this latest visit to the range I did spend some time repeatedly racking the slide through its full range. So it seems that my CM9 has required some break in time as opposed to what I've heard about other CM9 and PM9's. That's alright. I like this gun and will stick with it until I can fully trust it. May take quite a pile of bullets to accomplish this goal but at least I'm having fun in the process. I think it will become a trusted "carry" piece eventually.....and still very accurate !

I've had fewer failures from my Kel-Tech P-40 or P-9 than are being reported here for Kahr's. If we were talking about a KT everyone would be chiming in about "junk guns"

My Crossbreed holster for my PM9 w/CT laser just got here today, haven't even gotten it home yet. I carry a p45 w/CT laser daily in a Crossbreed.

Even with a pocket pistol I do not feel easy carrying it until it has at least 500 rds through it. Full size service pistol? 1500 rds