JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, - Anybody out there having problems with a Kahr CM9 or PM9 ? I bought my CM9 new and it continues to fail continually. It fails to feed, stove-pipes (fails to eject) and often the slide will not lock back in the open position after the last round was fired. When it does get off a round it is very accurate. It seems to prefer hollow-points as it fails less when shooting them. I sent it back to the factory after 85 or so difficult to shoot rounds. Later they sent it back stating that they had replaced the slide. It continues to fail...50% failures with non-hollow point rounds and approx' 10-20% failures with hollow point per any given number of rounds attempted. I always use a firm grip with both hands when shooting this small nine. Somebody ? ... Anybody ?

You haven't even gotten it broken in yet. I've got a PM9, and it was definitely a pistol that needed a couple hundred rounds to break in. Had similar issues for first 100 to 150 rounds. Now, it's perfect.

From the symptoms, it sounds like limp wrist is a possibility, however, it sounds like you've already thought of that. I would have a friend shoot it just to rule it out (have them bring their own ammo and put as many rounds through it as they want). Did Kahr explain what they found to necessitate the slide being replaced? Is it possible the barrel cylinder is too tight that they're not being ejected or loaded as smoothly as they should be? I think the pm series have a better job done on the feed ramp polishing. Perhaps a "Fluff and Buff for the Kahr pistol" is in order. Google it.

I've had experience with a CW45 and a PM9 that had no issues but a CW9 that took a while to break in. It had failures up until about 100 rounds but I wouldnt say I was getting nearly as high a percentage as you're getting. Try working the slide a bunch with the gun unloaded and maybe some ammo with a different bullet weight.

More than likely, it just needs more time to break in as the previous poster stated.

Kahr was very impersonal. Their receipt just stated "Replaced slide and test fired". Nothing more. I have read as well that Kahr recommends 200 rounds before trusting the
gun but I did not think that that would include failures with every other shot taken !
My CZ75 was also bought new and it has never had a failure of any kind after more than 400 rounds.
I will try different ammo and lots of it before I quit........ Thanks again.

Yeah try different ammo. Some are picky eaters .Go to the Kahr forum. But to me this is unexceptable. That why I haven't bought this gun even thought I want to. Just the right size. But the reports are very good. Some ppl like there but theres alot like you. Maybe 3% ftf in 100rds but not 50%. Mean with 7 rounds 3 may fail?? Wtf??? Limp wristing can be a possiblity but it s a small gun ,small caliber?? Try some 9 mm 127grain?? Or what ever that hight grain is. Some ppl have better luck?? Post what you figure out. :)

I had like 3 ftfs in my first 50 with some reloads, but that was all. I'm only at about 80 rounds. I had zero issues with 147 grain loads. Perhaps that is part of the solution? I didn't have any ftfs with any hollow point defense loads regardless of weight. I would avoid light bullets though.

You haven't even gotten it broken in yet. I've got a PM9, and it was definitely a pistol that needed a couple hundred rounds to break in. Had similar issues for first 100 to 150 rounds. Now, it's perfect.

That's totally unacceptable and these reports are one reason I decided I will never own a Kahr

That's totally unacceptable and these reports are one reason I decided I will never own a Kahr

The unacceptable part. That was one of the two guns the wife was looking at, glad she decided on the LC9, no issues and it was considerably less$$.

First try was a P-11, POS, would hit the dirt 5' in front of the target at 30'. We sent it back and got the same kind of response as Phantom...Replaced slide and barrel, and took them a month. No other comunication and wifey had written a nice long letter explaning the probs with the gun. It shot right after the return but we sold it at a pretty good loss. No more Kel-Tec for us.

Phantom, I'd be on the phone to Khar, you bet your butt!

Mike

What does Keltec and Ruger have anything to do with what the poster asked? Absolutely nothing!

At least you included one sentence that had something to do with the original post.

If you want to post about other guns, do so, but no need to (imply he should have bought something else) thread crap.:s0155:

What does Keltec and Ruger have anything to do with what the poster asked? Absolutely nothing!

At least you included one sentence that had something to do with the original post.

If you want to post about other guns, do so, but no need to (imply he should have bought something else) thread crap.:s0155:

'Scuse the **** outa' me! How about this......If I were to buy a gun that would not cycle factory ammo I would dump it ASAP. If I got no response from a company, as in an apology or at least a reason why their product was not functioning properly, I would dump it ASAP. My point being, don't keep a fire arm that doesn't function properly out of the box new. If I have to put 200 rounds through a new firearm before it starts to cycle ammo properly I'd better be getting a pretty good discount on puchase price.

Mike

There is no excuse good enough for me. ( ;
Granted, I wish Kahr would test fire them 200 times before selling.

Last Edited:
I think there no EXCUSE for any manufactor to sell a gun that has bad FTF?? Glock ,Springfield , co$t a little more. The Ruger Lc9 is cheaper. But they don't require breaking in. Too bad the CM9 was on my list of wants

Have you had another person try and shoot the gun to see if they experience the same problems during your 200 round break in period?

Good idea but I doubt he was limp wristing?? Small gun. I would try the heavier load also. I've read post of the nano being a picker eater also. But I never shot one....but I'm keeping my eye on all the slim 9mm. Hopefully it works out.

We need a couple of CM owners to chime in with their experiences with this gun. I can say that my PM-9 was a little tight when new, but has never had a fail to feed, fire, or eject. OP, you should go to your dealer and tell him you want a new gun, or money back. :s0159:

I had a PM9, and a bunch of issues with it while it was breaking in. I now have a CM9. I have about 80 rounds through it, with NO malfunctions and accurate for it size. I have fired remington (UMC) 115 JHP, Gold Dot HPs, Federal 115 JHP (#9BP). Don't give up on it yet, I have had a number of good quality guns that have needed to be broken in before they became realiable. I have three Sprinfield Armory 1911's which all needed to be broken in. Good luck.

Post to see if other CM9 owners who are not having problems will measure their mag opening with a set of calipers. Measure your mag opening with calipers and compare. If your factory mags came with a little too much pinch it could interfere with the feed.

With all these great replies I feel obligated to get back to the shooting range asap !
Gotta get to work but will try to write more later tonight. Thanks again. MUCH appreciated....