JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like this?

S&W Model 18-3

18-3-2.jpg

^^^
The front sight ramp didn't seem so beefy . I should have grabbed a few pics , but gun counter etiquette was already being slightly abused.

Plus 3 or 4 of us were more interested in the blued Mk3 Colt lawman that was part of the pile just dropped off for consignment.

1661308151613.png
Please don't show this picture anymore. I may be tempted to do something foolish.
I can hear my Mod. 15-1 (Combat Masterpiece) making whimpering sounds and my,
"J" Frame Kit Gun looks nervous.

Last Edited:
I bought my 15-1 in the early 60's at a gun show for $65.00. The blueing was still on the front of the cylinder. Since then, with 145gr Keith Hp and 3.5gr. of BullsEye it has accounted for numerous jackrabbits. :)

Last Edited:
Is there a bottom dollar for blued , full size rimfire Smiths? I'd have jumped without thinking if this was $400 or so .

Ask of $650 to me means that 6 even is as easy as offering cash . I'd like to weasel it down to 5 something. Definitely over %80 condition at a glance, possibly better with a thorough inspection.

Is there a bottom dollar for blued , full size rimfire Smiths? I'd have jumped without thinking if this was $400 or so .

Ask of $650 to me means that 6 even is as easy as offering cash . I'd like to weasel it down to 5 something. Definitely over %80 condition at a glance, possibly better with a thorough inspection.
Hit up @taroman, he may have what you seek.

I believe in that era S&W 22 Mod 17 there was a 6" & 8 3/8", while the 4" was a different model number, perhaps "15". Can't get to the Smith reference tonight but will check as possible tomorrow. In any case they all were/are premium quality. Check your lockwork & see how it functions, should be tight & smooth.

The 18 had different sights & AFAIK all were 4".
Golfballs at 60' from the bench, even with geezer vision, are commonplace with the long barrel. Even with the 4" hits outpace whiffles. That's with open iron sights.
Grips are easily changed to something you like. If it fits your hand you can make purchase fit your pocketbook.

When shopping older SW's make sure timing is good. Retard cylinder rotation lightly with thumb and slowly cock hammer. If it is locked on full cock, you're in business. If cylinder needs a little rotation to lock, don't buy. Next, gently lower hammer with trigger to rear. Make sure no cylinder wiggle (lockup). Check for end shake… move cylinder front to back with it in the frame. No play wanted. Next inspect hammer let off for bad trigger job by trying to push hammer off full cock without trigger activation. If it falls, don't buy. Look at front and back of cylinder for erosion and chipped/worn cog teeth. Muzzle crown should have no dings from errant cleaning… robs accuracy. Look down barrel with light. Need to see good rifling without lead buildup. Finish… look for rust anywhere, and take the grips off to inspect for rust. Always always Look at sideplate screws. If they are buggered, somebody has been inside. No bueno. Look for ease in closing cylinder. If no rapid snick, the cylinder rod may be bent as well as a yoke-to-frame gap indicate slam closing from wrist flick. Very very bad.

Last Edited:
This one sold 8-17-22 at auction here in western Wash.:

I looked at it, made around 1969, I think it was. It was very nice, came in original box. It would've sold for more money if it had the original grips on or with it. It only had the bogus, fugly, plastic, would-be staghorn grips. That is, $375 plus 10% state sales tax, plus 13% buyer's premium, plus $60 FFL transfer fee. So it wasn't really $375, more like $520-ish, and Bob's your uncle, back up to $500.

Staghorn might've been okay for Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke, I've never liked the look.

The four inch .22 is the K-22 Combat Masterpiece Model 18, it was the companion piece to the Model 15 in .38 Spec. for target practice. The ramp front sight is standard equipment on the Model 18.

Don't get too enthusiastic about the Colt Lawman MkIII, or anything else marked MkIII. In the late 1960s, Colt was searching for ways to save money. They set up a new plant that used more machines and less human labor to make their revolvers. The MkIII's were made with manufacturing economy in mind. The Lawman MkIII was the economy model of the Trooper MkIII.

Look down barrel with light.
This ^^^ for sure. Check for a ringed or bulged barrel. Happens sometimes when people fire a round into a barrel containing a previously stuck bullet.

If you look at 100 guns, and check the barrel on only 99 of them, as sure as I'm sitting here, that hundredth gun you didn't look down the barrel of will have a defect. Look at ALL of them.

Your doing pretty good if you can get a k-22 in good shape for under a thousand. I doubt I would take 650 for mine and it looks like it was drug behind a truck down a freshly salted highway in a snowstorm.

Update.

Called the shop today and know these things. Price is $600 firm , 6" blued marked k22 combat masterpiece. Serial number unknown, but I can look it up at the counter I'm sure.

Assuming +/- %90 finish. Any way to discern pre 17 , 17 , 18 by serial or identifying features?

Update.

Called the shop today and know these things. Price is $600 firm , 6" blued marked k22 combat masterpiece. Serial number unknown, but I can look it up at the counter I'm sure.

Assuming +/- %90 finish. Any way to discern pre 17 , 17 , 18 by serial or identifying features?
It is not an 18, 18's have 4" barrels but it is odd it says " k22 combat masterpiece" . If it is a 17 it will have the model number on the frame under the crane/yoke assembly, open the cylinder and look. Example this is a Mod 28 Engineering update 2

umber-in-box_101086277_58841_38aae9926098802c-jpeg.jpg

IIRC
Model 17 = K-22 Masterpiece, various length barrel
Model 18 = K-22 Combat Masterpiece, 4" barrel only

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA