JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have to admit that I'm part of the "yelling at speeding cars" crowd. Makes my blood boil to have people zooming past the school bus stop during pickup/dropoff hours. Yelling was ineffective.

I too tried to convince local police to set up radar, not important enough. When I see a potential speed offender coming, I simply begin a slow walk across the street. Dangerous, sure. But seems to be effective. Problem is we live in a society today that's me centric, no ramifications for wrong doing. Quite sad really.

So I have to admit that I'm part of the "yelling at speeding cars" crowd. Makes my blood boil to have people zooming past the school bus stop during pickup/dropoff hours. Yelling was ineffective.

I too tried to convince local police to set up radar, not important enough. When I see a potential speed offender coming, I simply begin a slow walk across the street. Dangerous, sure. But seems to be effective. Problem is we live in a society today that's me centric, no ramifications for wrong doing. Quite sad really.
We have a dangerous driveway due to people passing us on the left while we are turning left into it. People are freaking in too big of a hurry anymore. I was in the driveway washing my car when I saw my daughter coming home, she had her signal on, slowed down to turn, when a jackarse passed her on the left. I had access to a rock that I threw and connected with the truck, he turned around and came back to have a talk. Once I explained he was completely in the wrong, almost sideswiped my daughter, and probably would be jailed, he actually apologized and drove away. He's been polite ever since.

Giving someone the finger isn't justification for them to hop out and get in your face threatening you. It's still self defense to pepper spray him. It's reasonable to assume he is preparing to attack given his reversal, exit and rapid approach to you while threatening you.

To all the people who are like oh if you escalate it you go to jail. No amount of escalation will justify them attacking you. It's still self defense, even if you call their mom a whore.

This is why I keep one of those florescent yellow silhouette cut-outs of a darting pedestrian in my pocket.. if your timing is right when you huck it at a passing windshield your middle finger will be humbled.

Lol not really

The dog in my avatar was the reason I ended up with my first bodycam. When he was just a few months old was walking him and asshat few doors down had a MUCH larger dog that got out and tried to make a happy meal out of mine. I saw red and did yell at the house a few times till owner comes out. When I told him what happened he could care less. So I simply said there will not be a next time then, you don't want to take care of your dog, I will. I knew I was not doing a good job of de-escalating things but the big problem is how much I love dogs. The thought of having to harm another dog due to the owner being a moron sets me off. So he being what he was pushes it. By now I was calm enough to simply say "no problem, I will let the Police explain how this works to you". Called and they came. Cop did a good job of trying to placate all when he got there. He did contact animal control and pass on my info. So I get home Wife is all upset. "What did you do? Police called and Animal Control called". I told her I was swearing out a complaint on the jerk and all was fine. I did swear out the complaint and asshat got fined. It scared Wife enough that she ordered me a bodycam. They were fairly pricey back then. Over the years now have had a few of them and they are worth their weight in gold. Now and then would have another "run in" with someone letting their dog loose. The look on their face when it sunk in that I was telling them they were being recorded was GREAT.

Like any post on this topic....it can be nit picked to death...Monday morning quarterbacked...etc...

Speaking only for myself here...and without any judgement since I wasn't there...and I ain't the OP or driver :

At the end of the day ....
The driver was speeding...and the driver chose to confront the OP , no matter what his motivation / provocation...
The driver chose to do those things.

If the driver wasn't speeding then the OP wouldn't have yelled / given the bird.
And yes...one could argue that OP chose to do those things.
However...
The driver chose to respond in a particular manner.

Choice...
A powerful freedom for sure....
The choices you make will have consequences ...some you expected...many you won't.
Like anything else...
It is wise to weigh the risks versus the reward when choosing to do or not do something.
Andy

I dunno. I usually just stand there silently with a partial smile, stepping back slowly as needed if they start to get into arms length, until they loose steam and walk away on their own. Turning away can be perceived as insolence and provocative to some. I also never think it's a good idea to turn your back on someone with a head of steam going.

Speeding cars? I never yell. I just make a real quick 90 degree turn and fake a jogging step toward the street as if I may be attempting to sprint across... then let nature take it's course. The looks on some of their faces in that moment of sudden panic is priceless... and the occasional wheel weaves and/or brake squeals are a nice bonus.

*My name is Bob. I am also a lifetime AA member. Thank you for having me.
(A**holes Anonymous)

Last Edited:
You did good by walking away.
Laws vary by state, but one consideration in Washington mentioned frequently by local 2A lawyer is legal justification for self-defense has to be proportional. More than a few legal gun owners in prison who forgot that part and the jury decided they escalated a confrontation into a shooting.
The stories are in the local news a few times each year;
Homeowner shoots mailbox thief caught in act...
Road rage incident results in shooting...
Etc...

You don't know. He may also have been carrying with an itchy trigger finger. You don't know.
Years ago I was out with some late night street racers. (real racers, illicit drags away from the public, not cookie-cutting street takeover losers...)
Two guys started talking smack, which led to a bit of a scuffle. It was easy to tell who the "b" was, hiding behind others and throwing cheap shots.
I was standing with a friend who is a black belt. He looked at me and said, "There's almost nothing to gain and a lot to lose, people are crazy!"

Personally I hope I go the rest of my life without engaging in any physical fights. Unless someone is attacking me, my family or critters, there's nothing to gain.

Somewhat off topic, but I've always wanted to ask.
In American karate is there only one color of belt and just measured in how many levels? In Japan there are 6 belt colors in a 10kyu system, but every time I've ever heard karate mentioned in the U.S. it's always, without fail, "a black belt".

Just curious.

:D

In American karate is there only one color of belt and just measured in how many levels? In Japan there are 6 belt colors in a 10kyu system, but every time I've ever heard karate mentioned in the U.S. it's always, without fail, "a black belt".

Just curious.

Just like cars, everyone has a "Ten Second Car"..... Must be they don't want to sound like anything but the best.

Terry's belt is in Jiujutsu. He practiced for many years to reach that level.

I believe the belt color starts at white, goes to yellow, then something before brown then black.

Just curious.

I reached blue belt in karate. Figured that was a good place to stop because it matched my nutz

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top