JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am sure you can, but you need to watch pressures. That is why they say you can shoot .223 ammo in a rifle chambered for 5.56 Nato, but you don't want to shoot 5.56 Nato in a rifle chambered for .223. If memory serves me the case walls on the Nato brass are slightly thicker than that of .223 brass so the same load in a .223 casing will yield higher pressures in a 5.56 Nato casing.

I am sure you can, but you need to watch pressures. That is why they say you can shoot .223 ammo in a rifle chambered for 5.56 Nato, but you don't want to shoot 5.56 Nato in a rifle chambered for .223. If memory serves me the case walls on the Nato brass are slightly thicker than that of .223 brass so the same load in a .223 casing will yield higher pressures in a 5.56 Nato casing.

I was under the same belief.

An issue with reloading milspec brass is that the primers are usually crimped in place. After you punch out the primer, you have to swage each primer pocket before you can put in a new primer. That's no big deal. You can get an RCBS die set for $30 that does it, or there are machines for $100 that do it faster.

I can tell from the pics in the link that those are crimped. (casing swage-crimped over primer to hold them tight.)

Jack at Dan-Dee sales in Sweet Home just ordered me 2,000 xm193 5.56 Nato milspec rounds for $700 - same price as that link but American. I'd have to go with that. Dan-Dee Sales is in our vendor section. Jack is absolutely the greatest.
He often has a really good supply of primers and powder in stock at good prices.

As for reloading 5.56 Nato, the rounds are hotter and you do need a 5.56 chambered and stamped gun rather than a .223. You can, however load used 5.56 casings to .223 specs (lower pressure and slower bullet speed) and shoot them just fine in a .223. You use the same dies for loading either so they will physically fit just fine.

I always preach owning a chronograph. Load up a few, test the bullet speed against factory specs for either .223 or 5.56 (or any other round) and when you hit the sweet spot for powder charge, start loading. .223 will want a bit less powder that 5.56.

You can shoot .223 all day long in a 5.56 gun, but not the other way around. The .223 just isn't as hot.

Just checked with www.northwestshootersupply.com He has Federal American Eagle brand .223 55 grain FMJ at $372/1000. But he gives you a 10% discount for that qty. It comes out to $335/1000 rnds. Here's a Northwest local dealer selling quality American made ammo at a very good price. Have done business with him before and have never been unsatisfied with his service. :s0155:

I bought a thousand rounds of this (or something VERY similar) and have had to check every round to make sure the bullets were seated right. Every so often I'd get a round where the brass had folded down when the bullet was seated. Really hard to get out of the chamber when that happens!

Bryce

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads