JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well damn!! All I can say is since the old man died the people who took over seem to want to actually make what people who shoot want. I too find the mag "odd looking but making this so it takes either Ruger or Glock? This will make a LOT of people over look that. Take down too? Another big plus. More calibers are bound to be next. 40, .45(maybe) or 10MM? Threaded for a can already? Made so lefties can swap sides? Yes, I foresee another hit. PCC's have never been for everyone but last decade or so this market has grown far beyond what I ever dreamed it would.

I shot a Ruger .40 rifle from prison guard surplus at a recent IDPA match. Sheldon, do you know if those were the referenced "Police Carbine"? Anyway, I loved it and it functioned flawlessly. Since I have been looking at PCCs and Hi-points are too funky, and AR9s seem to have their share of problems, I might consider one of these at about $100 below MSRP if the follow up seems to show that they function well.

All I can say is since the old man died the people who took over seem to want to actually make what people who shoot want.
Yep - Ruger pulled their head out and re-introduced something incredibly popular, a lot seem to want, but few make (well at least in the practical and quality sense) I prefer the looks of the original PC9 but really like the advantages of the new design. The mag well is an aesthetic disadvantage but can be overlooked knowing the reasons for it.
Ruger took a hint from another Manufacturer in that they saw a market which had been left unsatisfied by others in either quality or by simply dropping models the shooting public really wants and has very few options - and have filled that 'void'.
Good on Ruger!

Yah, this one isn't doing anything for me. The threaded barrel though is a nice touch though.

It is interesting Ruger is getting back into the PCC market. If I recall correctly, they quietly discontinued their Police Carbine (in 9mm and .40 S&W) line as well as the Deerfield (in .44 Magnum) back in the mid-2000s.

Yah, this one isn't doing anything for me. The threaded barrel though is a nice touch though.

It is interesting Ruger is getting back into the PCC market. If I recall correctly, the quietly discontinued their Police Carbine (in 9mm and .40 S&W) line as well as the Deerfield (in .44 Magnum) back in the mid-2000s.

I kept the Deerfield.
Not so the PC9.

They need to bring a 44 mag back. ;)

Same here!!!! I'll even wear tan trousers for the full effect...:eek::eek::eek::p
BiUDeqnIEAIBKf2.jpeg

PC Carbine? Seriously? Political correctness has gone TOO FAR!

Yeah, even from a gun manufacturer!

I've had a couple of Camp Carbines pass thru my hands. Just didn't hit the "yes" button with me. I think it takes full auto before a pistol caliber carbine lights my fire. I have seen a few, I guess you would call them a pistol version of a PCC, and those could be useful due to ammo capacity and possibly an arm brace. Also could be a very good tool for home defense use. But I'm in the group that would rather have a CCP! (Carbine Caliber Pistol) I have an AR15 pistol (5.56) with a brace and while it lacks ammo interchangeability with my handgun, I find it otherwise far superior to a pistol caliber carbine for my wants.

Others will love this Ruger. I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes. That skinny mag hanging in the breeze does look a bit out of place, though.

After taking a few minutes to read all the comments on TFB about this it appears Ruger may have considered some other influencing factors when designing this - one a 'conventional' stock as opposed to a pistol grip style therefore making it largely in part compliant in all states. Another is the waning popularity of pistol grip carbine rifles in general. There is a definite return in interest of conventionally stocked and styled rifles. It was also suggested the designers simply did their homework and researched any and all of the 'wish lists' they could find about what people really wanted in a firearm and made it. Probably the biggest complaint about it is it not being made in 10 MM but they had to start with something to 'test the waters' with and 9mm was the obvious starting caliber. Another point brought up was it being potentially higher quality than any other pistol caliber carbines currently on the market with the exception of the CZ Scorpion - and the argument in favor of the Ruger was it being nearly half of the CZ MSRP and will probably become generally more available. Bottom line is the positive responses outnumbered the negatives by a large number. Gunblast already posted a video overview of it and the results look promising - especially the accuracy.

Last Edited:
But I'm in the group that would rather have a CCP! (Carbine Caliber Pistol) I have an AR15 pistol (5.56) with a brace and while it lacks ammo interchangeability with my handgun, I find it otherwise far superior to a pistol caliber carbine for my wants.

Exactly. IMO the primary purpose of a defensive pistol (chambered for pistol cartridges) is to have something always on your person when you don't have a long gun on your person. It may be because your firearm needs to be concealed and long guns are much harder to conceal, or you need to set aside your long gun to engage in some task, or your long gun has run out of ammo and your handgun is your last ditch defensive arm before you engage in hand to hand combat.

While I viscerally like the idea of a handgun and rifle that share the same ammo, IMO logically it just does not make that much sense in most cases. A rifle chambered for rifle powered ammo makes a lot more sense to me.

If I am going to carry a rifle, I want it to be chambered for a rifle cartridge.

Yep. A .30-06, a 7mm magnum, and many other boomers works so well as a close quarters weapon in your home.:D

I guess I see this slightly differently. A handgun can be a good choice if you don't have easy access to a rifle, but a rifle always does a better job of nearly every task. In the service, I was taught to use a rifle as a weapon even without ammo. If a feller thinks his handgun has plenty of power, then why wouldn't the same ammo in a tiny little carbine be a reasonable choice?

Last Edited:
Yep. A .30-06, a 7mm magnum, and many other boomers works so well as a close quarters weapon in your home.:D

If I need a long gun inside the house, it will be a bullpup shotgun. I have other non-"boomers" that are compact rifles, but generally I don't go for long guns inside a house. I've had building clearing training when I was an LE and I strongly prefer a handgun for that kind of work. Something like my P227 Tacops.

I like it. Would prefer .45 ACP or something, but 9mm is okay. Kinda curious what that small section of rail on the handguard is for.

Joke all you want but... If you have no neighbors anything is a good home defense gun. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top