JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have two Leupolds waiting to be mounted on rifles now.
One is a Freedom that was replaced when Leupold could not repair an older scope. Problem is it does not really "fit" the look I want on my vintage rifles.
I have some other odd ball fixed scopes that came of older 22 LR rifles.
Leupold couldn't repair one? Wow! I sent them a 3-9x40 that was from the 60's a few years back and they took care of it.
Kinda surprising, if you ask me.

edit: a few years back is probably close to 15.... Darn.

Leupold couldn't repair one? Wow! I sent them a 3-9x40 that was from the 60's a few years back and they took care of it.
Kinda surprising, if you ask me.

edit: a few years back is probably close to 15.... Darn.
I agree. I took them two scopes that had different issues. The one the they did not return was a 3x9. It took a lot of effort to adjust through the power settings.
Can't remember what they said the issue was but replaced it with the new one.
The style is just a little "different " than what I prefer.

I bought 8 ARES BTR GEN2 4.5-27x50 APRS5 FFP MIL with the Christmas tree reticle for $400ea NIB. These were 1st gen & they put too heavy of grease in the turrets so the click wasn't loud enough. I called Athlon & asked what other changes they made in the gen2 & was told one small part whas changed from brass to stainless & ligher grease. I think they got got a batch of the wrong grease. It takes under 5 min & a Q tip to wipe the grease out & put light grease in. Here's a review
These are a bargainn at the $850 you can find them for & track perfectly & willputperform anything under $1200. I like 30mm tubes & 50mm bells to keep it close to the bore. If you find a gen1 at a deal buy it you won't be sorry!

I agree. I took them two scopes that had different issues. The one the they did not return was a 3x9. It took a lot of effort to adjust through the power settings.
Can't remember what they said the issue was but replaced it with the new one.
The style is just a little "different " than what I prefer.
I took two in at the same time, also. One was all my fault and they fixed it, no problemo.
The other one has a lot of sentimental value to my wife. It was her Dad's, off of his Savage 99 plus the last 4 numbers in the serial number are 1957, which match what her car is. That's the one I told them I needed back, even if they couldn't fix. They shipped it to me repaired and it's now on the Savage 99 she sued as a kid.
Kinda hard for me to buy any new scope that doesn't come from them.

Occasionally I will buy a scope because it is too good a price to pass up. Also, there's a small number of scopes I am always on the lookout for, and will almost always buy them when found if priced fairly: Leupold Compact/Ultralights, M8 fixed powers, Bushnell .22 scopes. The "island of misfit toys" that is my pile of "extra" scopes resembles the quantity displayed by the OP.

I can't imagine yanking one scope off a rifle to serve other rifles. Lots of unnecessary wear and tear on screws, rings, mounts and the scope itself, not to mention the "down time" involved in re-mounting and re-sighting. With rare exceptions, a scope is selected specifically for an individual gun according to intended use, model and caliber, and stays on the gun till death do them part.

Another reason I will buy "just a scope" was mentioned here: Some styles and configurations have disappeared from the "new" offerings (see "Compact" above). Gloss finish is another example. I was recently shocked to discover Leupold's reduction in their product line.

A nice wood/walnut deer rifle from the '50's to 80's cannot be well-served with a matte-finished optic with naked exposed knobs and turrets with sharpened corners and an eyepiece that resembles a small shampoo bottle. LIkewise, a slim and trim .22 looks awfully top-heavy with a full-size deer-rifle scope on it. (The craze that began in the late '70's, insisting on the need for "grown-up" glass on rimfires happily leaves those crystal clear 7/8' tube Bushnells on gunshow tables often with their box and paperwork.)

Once in a while I will buy a scope with the idea in mind, "The gun for it will show up." The silver finished 3x-9x Compact seen here languished on the "island" for a few years. It finally went to perfect application, appearance and service on "The Wolfer" : a Ruger 77/357 I converted to .256 Winchester Magnum:

PA180053.JPG

I like to have an LPVO on QD so I can throw it on my AR as desired (or AUG since it's better than the AR 😉). Otherwise I'll run a holographic since the AR is meant to be light and fast and not too heavy. Optics tend to be expensive and having them pile up in a safe doesn't make sense to me unless you have a rotation of sorts.

I have 12 scopes on 12 rifles, Leopold, Vortex, Zeiss and NightForce

but this one pictured is unique, made for a Dragunov style rifle in Belarus, a PSO style

just a collectable to remind me of the quality of Russian optics

I traded a bottle of vodka for it in a bar in California from a drunk Ukrainian on New Years Eve

P1030893.JPG P1030897.JPG

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads