JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
People who own more than a few guns usually have a few spare parts. My question is how many spare scopes should a guy have?

981373C5-75B0-46A9-88A8-6EC94198C08A.jpeg

None, zero, nada.

If it's not on a gun, it isnt needed.

If I look, and it's a stretch, I might have a set of flip up iron sights somewhere.

People who own more than a few guns usually have a few spare parts. My question is how many spare scopes should a guy have?

View attachment 981407
That looks like someone is collecting them. A lot of them look old.

In my mind one spare scope is enough, since I don't plan to be hunting or fighting. If a scope breaks it might be nice to have a backup while I'm getting it fixed or replaced.

I pick them up cheap at yard sales, if they don't work I will throw them in a box. Except the 2 leupolds on top left, I will have them repaired

1 scope that jumps from gun to gun. I'll pay a decent amount for one scope over multiple "budget" scopes to have one on each rifle.

1 scope that jumps from gun to gun. I'll pay a decent amount for one scope over multiple "budget" scopes to have one on each rifle.
This is me, currently. Just moved a Vortex 4.5-27 from an AR DMR/Distance build to a .22LR I want to take out to 300-400 yards. It's my only super nice piece of glass.

The AR got its irons back for the time being and every other rifle has its own dot, irons, or scope. No spares.

I do plan on doing a lot of NRL22 coming up here, but still don't imagine myself so competitive that I'd ever be in position to need a spare scope.

I can see why some competitors or hunters would want a spare...that just isn't me.

When I "upgrade" I keep the replaced as a spare. The Vari-X II that came off of my Ruger stayed in it's rings as backup for that rifle. Then I bought a Model 70 and that's where it went. My Wife's 2-7x33 Compact got set aside and almost sold, til I bought a Remington 600 and mounted it up!
The old, fixed power Tasco from the Model 70 is still hanging around, but it's about the only "spare" I've got. Following my previous actions, this must be justification for another rifle purchase!

I have two Leupolds waiting to be mounted on rifles now.
One is a Freedom that was replaced when Leupold could not repair an older scope. Problem is it does not really "fit" the look I want on my vintage rifles.
I have some other odd ball fixed scopes that came of older 22 LR rifles.

I also am a scope hoarder. Seldom do I have to run to the store to buy a scope when I buy a new rifle. And having plenty of scopes, it's not uncommon for me to try multiple different scopes on a new rifle acquisition, just to find the best choice in a scope for that rifle. Lots of scopes is a good thing. :s0116:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top