JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Man displays gun during confrontation with Occupy Portland protesters, police say

Credit to Koin 6 News

Jason Parker is accused of revealing a handgun during an argument with Occupy Portland protesters Wednesday afternoon. Oct. 19, 2011. (Portland Police Bureau) A man is under arrest, accused of brandishing a handgun near the Occupy Portland encampment Wednesday afternoon.

At approximately 3:39 p.m., Portland police responded to reports of an argument at the intersection of Southwest 4th Avenue and Salmon Street, which is on the perimeter of the Lownsdale Square portion of the downtown encampment.

The Portland Police Bureau (PPB) reports that Jason Charles Parker, 32, was shooting video of the encampment when he was confronted by several park occupants. During the ensuing argument, one of them allegedly used a racial slur towards Parker. At some point during the exchange, police say Parker revealed a handgun in his waistband.

Parker was taken into custody at the intersection of Southwest 3rd Avenue and Salmon Street. The suspected handgun was also recovered by police. Parker has a concealed handgun permit for the weapon, according to a PPB press release.

He is charged with one count of disorderly conduct in the second degree. He is lodged in the Multnomah County Jail.

This follows Tuesday night's arrest of a suspected marijuana dealer at the encampment, and a short police search and recovery of a missing girl. Police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson said the bureau is constantly evaluating its presence at the around-the-clock protest.

"It is a little concerning that we have now a firearm issue down there," said Simpson.

Simpson added that there are currently four officers always on dedicated patrol at the encampment.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to contact PPB at (503) 823-0097.

Man displays gun during confrontation with Occupy Portland protesters, police say - Koinlocal6.com

Here's the link to the story, Don't want to see some Idiot Righthaven clone saying that the article was unattributed even with the proper credits given ;)

163.190¹
Menacing
(1) A person commits the crime of menacing if by word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury.
(2) Menacing is a Class A misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §95]

No , we don't have specifically Brandishing a weapon. We have Menacing.

Article says he is being hit with Disorderly conduct though instead, they probably don't want to risk it in case he's found to have been legitimately in fear for his physical safety.

Just fuel on the fire... we have enough to overcome just separating ourselves from the images of thuggery anytime the word "gun" crops up. Adams is going to love it.

Why would displaying or pointing a gun at someone who was obviously angry and walking toward you with a tire iron be illegal? Why would shooting him be illegal?

So, this guy at the park displays his gun because he's afraid of "several" guys who are angrily confronting him. Isn't he in fear of imminent serious bodily harm?

Who says the perps have to have a gun before I'm allowed to use mine? Why do I carry if I can't use it when I'm in fear of serious bodily harm?

I'm glad the guy got 2nd degree disturbing the peace, although I think they should have let him go. That shouldn't cost him his CHL.

Did anyone see the video of this?

<broken link removed>

I don't even think he even showed his gun. Someone probably just saw it printing and called 911 to get back at him. Also it sounds like one of them threatened to beat him up. I don't know why he wasted his time on these people, he should have just walked away.

so why is this guy in jail for disorderly conduct?

is brandishing disorderly conduct and why is that not just a ticket? why is that an arrestable offense? this seems weird.

I saw the video and it looked like both sides were looking for trouble. He could of walked away at any time but went with "this is a public sidewalk ,I'll do w hat I want." deal. And the protesters were just bored with nothing to do but pick a fight. Two wrongs don't make a right, but no weapon was brandished and if he was a legal cow then the gun shouldn't of been an issue or even made the news. Apparently even legally carrying a gun is news.

From the video, I don't see where he brandished his weapon. He sure did print big time though..He's right handed, and carries at 3:30-4:00. If I was foolish enough to go down there poking around, be covering up a bit better than that. Even so, the cop's should have just broke it up and sent the man on his way, but of course mayor sammy wouldn't be to happy about that. :huh:

As a disabled CCW'er, I don't have the option of taking a single blow first, my joints dislocate at a touch. One of the few "perks" (if it can be considered one) is how low this sets the bar for a legitimate Self Defense claim.

Disparity of Force.

An unarmed Mob is (or can be) a deadly weapon.

I wouldn't want to be in the position of defending myself in court for having actually used my pistol in the situation he seems to have refused to avoid, but if the crowd becomes violent, He can defend himself against unarmed attackers.

Hopefully the video gets him clear of charges and gets some thrown on the Occupiers. I wonder who among them is going to reimburse the City for repairing the park once they are evicted.

Many of the Occupy Portland people are pro-gun, pro-individual rights people. Just to make that clear. This is an individual incident. The media has tried its best to turn as many people against the OPP's as possible with misinformation. The first story was that they were rallying against credit card charges. Then the top story was ONE 17-year old punk that spray painted a car. That was the whole story, nothing about why thousands of people were protesting; no truth about why they were really there.

Be aware of the manipulation that takes place in the corporate controlled media. Once you see how they operate, their manipulations are very transparent. A story like this is meant to turn Second Amendment people against them. While that will probably be successful, it makes no sense except it fits the MO of the banker media. Misinform, create fear, divide and conquer.

The reason this is receiving so much negative attention has nothing to do with the legitimacy or justification for the guy showing the gun, although I think he was purely in his right against an unarmed "mob" posing a potential deadly threat. It's purely a reason for the media, whether it's liberal I think is irrelevant, to put a negative spin on Occupy Portland and reinforce the argument that they're "disturbing the peace" in order to get them out of there. Sam Adams can't rule against his voters or "his people," so the community will find ways to show this group of people is dangerous.

Now so far I have yet to see any racial connection to the CC incident in Portland. Somebody supposedly uttered a racial slur - people say a lot of nasty things when they are angry - doesn't mean the incident was racially motivated. I think we should all lower our hammers till we find out what really went down. So far all I know for sure is that the Police felt a guy with a CHL acted inappropriately during an altercation of unknown origin.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top