JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Remember back when ammo was at its worst availability, and at its highest cost?

Now, many of our ammo choices are easily available, and the prices have come down, at least a little. On this site, and other sites, there's a bunch of Classified Ads where folks are offering up their spare ammo...Mostly 9mm, .223 , and the really common stuff. I'm glad to see it.

But, in spite of the ammo supply getting better, it is seldom that I see .38 Special offered up. I know .38 Special is old-school, but there are still some of us old-schoolers that shoot the stuff.

That's all.

Have a good weekend.

WAYNO.

Have you seen the prices for 44mag????:s0001::s0154: Most of what I have been able to find is for hunting. In this day and age six guns are old and uncool to most people. It's sad but I end up looking on line to order my ammo.

After I got my S&W 629, I had sticker shock over the cost of even .44 Spl factory loads. So, my next action was to get a set of .44 Spl/Mag dies from RCBS -- it brings the cost down to no more than any other caliber, and provides much more flexibility from this amazingly versatile cartridge.

I still load Buffalo Bore Heavy when I'm out in critter country -- I just don't plink with them!

I bought a couple boxes of .38 special anytime I found it @ a decent price. (I have 1 .38 Special revolver)..

One day I looked at how much I had, and I ended up buying like 400 rounds of it. :s0114:

Don't really need that many, but I will eventually end up shooting it all at some point..

Can I have your brass if you don't reload???:D:D
Tell me one place local to Seattle that have any good prices????:s0131:
I have found two sites that help locate good ammo prices...:cool:

That is one thing I don't have equipment for, however I am planning to get some and start with doing it.

If I do not in what I feel a timely manner, I would certainly give out brass to those who do. Hate to waste it.

Join the WAC -- you can find some very good deals on ammo, if you shoot a lot.

For reloading components, Wholesale Sporting Goods in Federal Way has pretty good prices. Not as good for ammo as with mail order, but they have a large inventory of reloading stuff.

I know .38 Special is old-school, but there are still some of us old-schoolers that shoot the stuff.
Yes and arguably still one of the best and most versatile rounds there is. I load and shoot lots of .38 special in my Winchester 94 Trapper. Heck probably THE best pistol round ever, the .357 Magnum, was developed from the .38 special. A few weeks ago I cleaned an old M-15 S&W for a friend and took it out to test fire it and before I knew it I ran a box of 50 through it! I forgot how much fun the .38 is to shoot and tackdriver accuracy. I miss my M-19 I had many years ago and am now looking for a 19 or 15.

I've found SportCo in Fife to be about 10% less than Wholesale Sports but I sometimes have to shop at both places. Wholesale is now carrying a number of bulk plated bullets. Powder is cheaper at Sportco, as are jacketed bullets and primers.

44 Special isn't cheap anywhere - I'm lucky I can reload it in bulk.

I fell your pain on the 44mag in more than one way. I have been able to find some good lead bullets at the WAC shows.
And for brass I just pick up what I can at the range:s0131:.....
Ever been to the Marksman in Puyallup? They don't guard the brass buckets like some places:s0155:.
It'll be text book time soon so bye bye reloading fund:(.

Right now the problem with .38 SPL ammo is no one has the brass for it. Starline is out of it, and seems to refuse to make more. Same thing with .44SPL. While supply is starting to increase in the popular calibers, hopefully pretty soon we will start seeing some more of the rimmed pistol cartridges out there. I remember when a round of .380 was treated as some kind of hens tooth, now I can buy a box of it for $16 at my local shop. I remember when at a shop out in the boonies someone tried to sell me a box of .380 for $60. I think he was a little heart broken after making the big pitch that I didn't have a .380. This was the same place that tried to sell me primers for $8/100.

I guess they must have been having a good run with the local suckers, but apparently there is a corrolary to PT Barnum's "a sucker is born every minute".

I took a training course a while back. There was an older lady with a .38spl snubbie. She was about to toss 50 brass cases out, and I politely asked if I could keep them. Two other .38spl shooters overhead and did the same for me. I must have reloaded those 100+ cases 6 times each for light plinking. Wish I had more .357mag brass, as that doesn't hold up quite as long esp. when loaded hot.

I've found SportCo in Fife to be about 10% less than Wholesale Sports but I sometimes have to shop at both places. Wholesale is now carrying a number of bulk plated bullets. Powder is cheaper at Sportco, as are jacketed bullets and primers.

44 Special isn't cheap anywhere - I'm lucky I can reload it in bulk.

I'll have to check Sportco....haven't been there, yet. I have a little .44 Spl brass, but seldom load them -- I usually load the .44 Mag brass with Trail boss to .44 Spl velocities.

BTW, current military, retired or Guard get a 10% discount at Wholesale Sporting Goods at both the Federal Way & Lacey stores.

Regarding brass, Bob Johnson usually has an extensive collection of Starline brass for sale at the WAC shows, as well as a large inventory of cast & plated bullets. I almost always find what I need at his tables. I'll check for .38 Spl/.357 at the next Monroe show.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews