JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's that remaining knob on the left then? Maybe it and all the knobs and switches inside the shooting area proper should be labeled? I twist that one on as I thought there was some change and only it (it's in the same place as the old knob) activated the filtration system.
Also, as to "invasive" application requirements, I joined like a year or so ago and it's not invasive at all.

I believe you are referring to the heat. The timer for that is still there.

-- Bob

So... Today, I shot inside 50 feet and faster than .90 splits for the first time since July. It was eeeeaaaaassssyyyyyy. The targets looked enormous. I can safely say that I have been able to progress at practical shooting at JCGC, but I wish I didn't have to go elsewhere to see that.
I hear you there. I got a chance to shoot at Tri-County a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised to find me shooting tight groups even with shooting fairly quickly. It gave me a lot more confidence in my ability to hit where I wanted.

I plan on remaining a member at JCGC, but may also have to join another location to get to the next level.
I was thinking the same thing.

-- Bob

One thing I thought I'd bring up is the sandbags. They are pretty well worse than worthless. They are made of very loosely woven burlap, filled with some dried pinto beans(?), some white powder and maybe a tablespoon of sand just to be mean. To extend their "life" of giving frustration and pain, they have been thoughtfully wrapped, and I use the term loosely, with clear packing tape to make them extra slippery, especially regarding multiples/bag on bag action.

So they leak some crazy stuff that gets on and in every gun you own, slip all over the place if you use a stack.. I had to use like twelve to make a super large based pyramid to get the height just eight or so inches up for a rifle, and are just a painful joke.

I'm not saying we need chilled lead shot filled bags but I think actual "sand" is pretty cheap and effective.. in a proper bag, of course.

Besides that, I have no other comments, save that it's a great place.

Yep a few new ones would be great. All the other improvements sure are nice.

Hey everyone,

I'm glad I saw this on here. I'm not sure exactly what you would need or where I would get it from. I will check around and see what is available. If you have any suggestions on this, please let me know!

Thanks,
Jill

I really don't but it seems in the old days, good bags were made from/with tightly woven shot bags filled with sand.. not too much, not too little. Just a simple fold or two and then sewn. Sewn with what is probably the question as it seems like a feedbag/upright type sewer might be necessary/desirable.
I wonder if Wichita feedstore has one that could be used? If not, a simple metal clinch on the gathered mouth would probably work.
That's about my input.

Burlap is for river flood type sandbags. Tyvek is weak and will tear just picking it up. Shot bags are designed to hold, during rough shipping/handling and storage, 25lbs of lead shot and are very durable and tightly woven.
You can get them new or used.

I have someone checking into my options on this. I have a couple issues that I have to consider. They said I need something that will last, but also something that people won't take from the club. We put in some really good supplies to pick up the brass for the members last year and they were gone within the week. That is one of the issues with having a shooting range like ours.

I will keep you posted.

Jill

I believe you are referring to the heat. The timer for that is still there.

-- Bob

You got it Bob. As far as switches being labeled...thatd be nice I suppose, especially for new people/guests. With there only
being a light switch, dimmer switch and timer now...I dont think itd be as useful.

Sandbags...yes please!

Also, lane 10 and the shooting bench...can we get some wood putty or something or perhaps maybe FRP the top of the bench? Not only is it banged up, theres a hole just under the clamp-on front mono pod.

And of course we can all dream of an electronic cable/rail system for target setting and return...individual booths....less than 50ft shooting...but I take it for what it is and it works for me. Esp for the price and convenience. Ive liked 98% of the people Ive met through there. Nice group of people.

I have someone checking into my options on this. I have a couple issues that I have to consider. They said I need something that will last, but also something that people won't take from the club. We put in some really good supplies to pick up the brass for the members last year and they were gone within the week. That is one of the issues with having a shooting range like ours.

I will keep you posted.

Jill

Jill- one option to consider is RFID alarm systems for the sandbags and cleaning equipment. I know its silly to have such things especially when its a membership'd club...but maybe someone broke those window squeegees and threw them away? The larger floor squeegees work the best. The little blue one on a long handle is my favorite for when Im picking my brass up amongst others' and for getting the ones stuck in the corners of wall meeting floor. I would suggest that the next ones be of equal size to deter theft/carelessness and perhaps a reminder newsletter to all current members that it is everyones responsibility to take good care of OUR club and equipment within it.

You got it Bob. As far as switches being labeled...thatd be nice I suppose, especially for new people/guests. With there only
being a light switch, dimmer switch and timer now...I dont think itd be as useful.

Sandbags...yes please!

Also, lane 10 and the shooting bench...can we get some wood putty or something or perhaps maybe FRP the top of the bench? Not only is it banged up, theres a hole just under the clamp-on front mono pod.

And of course we can all dream of an electronic cable/rail system for target setting and return...individual booths....less than 50ft shooting...but I take it for what it is and it works for me. Esp for the price and convenience. Ive liked 98% of the people Ive met through there. Nice group of people.

I pretty much just found this thread and haven't read all of it.

The light switches...... I kind of figure that if I'm smart/safe enough to shoot guns that I, or anyone else for that matter, can flip light switches until the one I want are on. Reverse order on your way out.

The rest bags: I also kind of figured that members might make some themselves and bring them in? I thought that's where they came from already. The goofy, slippery packaging tape that's on them is because knuckle heads keep hitting them with muzzle blast! I've done it myself. I really think bags filled with sand are going to make a huge mess, even make the floor slippery. It could be a lot worse than a few beans laying around. I suggest we ourselves make a bag or two at home and bring them in. Anybody's wife or significant other got a sewing machine? The best bag there now is the sock bag IMO.

As far as the table at lane ten, the hole is so you can lower the rest, the threaded rod goes through the hole. I think someone needs to clean the existing hole up....And drill one on the other side to more easily accommodate a right hander. And isn't it a possibility one of you handy dandy guys could build a table, from scrap even? There's something like 1200 members aren't there?

My point is.....I feel like the JCGC is doing us all a favor, charging what it takes to operate the place. At a time when, it seems like, ALL other businesses in the world are screwing people for every damned penny they can get WE are getting something for a price that reflects operational cost with minor profit, for those involved, I'm thinking. Just think what it would cost you in fuel alone to drive to a rock pit. That's not to mention cold wet hands and steel, one of my least favorite things.

I don't have the slightest issue with the target return system, I switch hands and consider it needed exercise. I do realize it may be an issue for some members with limited mobility though.

The membership at JCGC has been nothing short of great. Being a relative newbie to the firearms world, I've learned so much, I've accepted offers to shoot other peoples guns, been given good information for reloading, and always left after shooting with good feelings toward our "Club" and it's members! Thanks guys!

And before I finish my rambling, a BIG Shout out and kudos to Arthur, our janitor! 99% percent of the time I shoot in the morning, and NEVER, EVER, has the place been anything but spotless!! Thanks Art!

Mike

The place is what it is, a pretty well kept up OLD range if you want a better sand bag feel free to bring one. I do wish that we could buy back the range brass that people leave behind. It is only fair that if some one leaves it it goes to the range but I would even volunteer to come in once a month and separate / bag it if we could have a chance to buy it before it goes to a scrapyard.
Not a big gripe but I would rather have what I spend on used brass go back to a good range that I benefit from than a random source online.

I do wish that we could buy back the range brass that people leave behind. It is only fair that if some one leaves it it goes to the range but I would even volunteer to come in once a month and separate / bag it if we could have a chance to buy it before it goes to a scrapyard.
Not a big gripe but I would rather have what I spend on used brass go back to a good range that I benefit from than a random source online.

I like this idea I'd be happy to buy used brass and see the moneys go back in the the range.

We really had to take a hard look at the brass situation. The brass was always left in 5 gallon buckets for any member to take how ever much they wanted. Three years ago, we noticed the problem. People would come in right before the club closed and empty the buckets into big bags and leave. We then decided to lock the brass up and take it in to be recycled. It was either a few people took all the brass, or we take it to be recycled and the club gets the money. Believe me, I would rather the members have it, but wasn't fair that way. It's a lot more work to take it in and recycle it as well. I appreciate the offer to bag and sort it, but it just isn't possible.

Sorry,
Jill

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top