JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just too excited to keep it to myself!

I picked up another Browning Hi-Power pistol that I found at one of my favorite LGS yesterday. This is the fifth I've owned but currently this new acquisition puts me at a grand total of two in the safe. However, this BHP is the first Mark II I've ever had the opportunity and pleasure to own. I didn't even realize it was a Mark II until I got it home and started researching it.

Manufactured in 1988 and judging by the serial number I'd say later in the year. This particular model had all the parts manufactured in Belgium and assembled in Portugal where my understanding is that the labor was/is cheaper. It came with one magazine. No box, manual or any other miscellaneous items that come with new guns. It had a minute bit of carbon on the feed ramp as if it had been put away after shooting a couple rounds without being cleaned. The gun was dry as a bone and begging for some oil. The barrel is shiny and pristine with sharp rifling which leads me to believe that this BHP spent most of it's life locked away in somebody's safe. It appears that it was shot very little. I promptly disassembled it, cleaned and lubricated it. The function test went just fine but was a pain to perform with the pesky magazine safety disconnect the the Hi-Powers are notorious for. The sights, also typical of bone stock Hi-Powers, leave much to be desired but they are functional.

I'll probably try to get some 9mm down range through this in the next day or two. I'm excited to have another BHP I can actually shoot. Several BHP's I've bought in the past were too collectible for my liking and I couldn't bring myself to shoot them, so I eventually ended up selling them. This one is a shooter and a keeper. My first Browning Hi-Power Mark II!!

A_IMG_3179.jpg

A_IMG_3180.jpg

A_IMG_3184.jpg

A_IMG_3181.jpg

A_IMG_3185.jpg

A_IMG_3182.jpg

A_IMG_3297.jpg

A_IMG_3300.jpg

A_IMG_3244.jpg

A_IMG_3248.jpg

"King of the Nines"

I understand completely and about the shooters and lookers thing too. Shoot the snot out of it.

Last Edited:
Hands down without a doubt my all time favorite 9mm. Own/have owned several over the years. I have never had any use for the .40S&W. UNTIL I shot the wife's uncle's HP in .40. It's on my list...
Loaded1911motivator.jpg
Sorry I couldn't find this with a HP in the pic.
Congrats on the score!

Since I am old and weird and left handed I would LOVE the large big ugly ambo safety. The BHP M3 I bought through this excellent Forum did NOT have an ambo safety so it was fun and easy adding one. Just something about the High Power. :)

I used to have a MkII exactly like this one. First and favorite 9mm I ever bought. Nothing has ever fit my hand so perfectly or balanced and shot so well for me. Some of you may have a difficult time believing this one, but, I have owned Sig 226,220, and Glocks; and put many many rounds through them, and of all of these pistols, my HP was the only one through which I never had one single malfunction, ever.

After the wife and kids showed up though, I became apprehensive about training them with a single action, got back into revolvers and DA autos, and ended up selling both of the HPs that I had. Kept my ugly but tuned 1911 though.

I have to say, though that I never felt as comfortable with the thought of carrying it cocked and locked as with a 1911. Used to do the half click with the safety on. Slower, I know,

I sure miss my BPH and would love to acquire another one.

I used to have a MkII exactly like this one. First and favorite 9mm I ever bought. Nothing has ever fit my hand so perfectly or balanced and shot so well for me. Some of you may have a difficult time believing this one, but, I have owned Sig 226,220, and Glocks; and put many many rounds through them, and of all of these pistols, my HP was the only one through which I never had one single malfunction, ever.

After the wife and kids showed up though, I became apprehensive about training them with a single action, got back into revolvers and DA autos, and ended up selling both of the HPs that I had. Kept my ugly but tuned 1911 though.

I have to say, though that I never felt as comfortable with the thought of carrying it cocked and locked as with a 1911. Used to do the half click with the safety on. Slower, I know,

I sure miss my BPH and would love to acquire another one.
Ditto about the ergos.
I used to have a French M1935A that had super ergos.. but the cartridge and safety (and capacity) were off..

43a6eab29f397d10279b3b231f95bcdc.jpg

I'd love to get a SIG P-210 and a good CZ as a distant third but why bother.. well, except for the CZ.. some of those are pretty practical.

Very nice. I have a Mark III that I put night sights and lasergrips on. There is just something about a quality all steel pistol... :)
Yeah, I've always felt the same. To me, steel just has a better feel than plastic. I own modern polymer pistols, and I like them, but wood and steel just feels right.
I never did like the plastic panels on the Hi Power, or even the factory wood, so I replaced them with some very slim aftermarket wood.

I got the BHP out for a 100 round session today. So, to add to the above I will say that the BHP's are inherently accurate pistols too. Not even one hiccup in the entire 100 rounds. It shot like dream. The trigger could be improved which I think in turn would make it even more accurate than it already is. I'm struggling with the idea of removing the mag safety disconnect. I removed it on my one other BHP with the factory SFS system and it improved the trigger pull significantly. Just not sure I want to alter the MKII. Think I'll just keep it bone stock and original. May have to buy one more BHP specifically for all the upgrades I envision on a defensive piece.

I got the BHP out for a 100 round session today. So, to add to the above I will say that the BHP's are inherently accurate pistols too. Not even one hiccup in the entire 100 rounds. It shot like dream. The trigger could be improved which I think in turn would make it even more accurate than it already is. I'm struggling with the idea of removing the mag safety disconnect. I removed it on my one other BHP with the factory SFS system and it improved the trigger pull significantly. Just not sure I want to alter the MKII. Think I'll just keep it bone stock and original. May have to buy one more BHP specifically for all the upgrades I envision on a defensive piece.
I used to think that way about the mag safety.
Until I took mine out. I put the pieces in a pill bottle and marked it with a sharpie so I wouldn't lose them.
And then I took it out and shot it.
Between the improved trigger and the fact the mags drop freely now, I have serious doubts that mag safety is EVER going back in.

But hey, at least I can say I still have the parts if I decide it needs to. :D

I confess! I am a serial magazine disconnect assassin. None survive at my house.
I do save them, mark them and add them to the collection. :p
But...
The trigger may still need a bit of tuning, but it will be immensely better and the mags drop free. That seems like big results for minor effort. You can always reinstall it if you wish.

Now go shoot the darn thing.

I want to remove the mag safety disconnect but I remember removing it from my first BHP and the pins were a mother copulation to get out. Left a few very small marks that are barely noticeable but I know why they're there. The memory of the event isn't pleasant.

Wish there were an easy way.

I want to remove the mag safety disconnect but I remember removing it from my first BHP and the pins were a mother copulation to get out. Left a few very small marks that are barely noticeable but I know why they're there. The memory of the event isn't pleasant.

Yup and the sights can be a mother to get off as well. I've passed on a few used HiPowers with damage around the trigger pin or near the sights.

When looking at one my first question is always if the disconnect is still in. That pretty much tells me how carefully I need to inspect it.

There might be a trick to remove it without taking the two pins out first.. check youtube etc. The reason I bring it up is I remember theyankeemarshal trying to do just that and I went "huh".. he was unsuccessful though and had to drive out pins if I remember correctly, but hey.
I've been lucky in doing it but I'm super careful and use tools occasionally etc.
Barring that, bring it to a smith.. it can't be too much to do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top