JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Range 15 on Fort Lewis used to be a good place to sight in a hunting rifle, shoot your pistol or do some plinking. A few years s ago, they really spiffed it up compared to what it used to be.

Now, the old timers are retiring from range control and all these new 5.11 wearing gomers are taking over. The same kinds of guys that wear Oakley's and grow those Navy SEAL beards. They act like they are doing YOU a favor by being available to take your money. Same kinds of guys I see proliferating gun shops in my area.

There are a couple old timers left, but they are all leaving slowly and surely.

Now, the new geniuses at range control have decided that magnum rifles aren't safe! Regardless of what has been slung around on that post into that small arms impact range for nearly a century. A guy with a 300 WSM was asked to leave the other day. A 300 WSM? But a 30-06 is OK and "safe" without those dangerous 50 to 100 fps.

Just to be a smartazz, the 222 magnum had to come out. "Sorry sir but that's a magnum rifle".

to be fair, 300 wsm has ~30% more energy at the muzzle than 30-06.

ask them if 44 "magum" lever action rifle is ok ;)

or to be super smartass, 17 hornady "magnum" rimfire.

I think the OP was unduly harsh. Yes, they have banned magnum rifles. That sucks. But largely, Range 15 is still an enjoyable, and inexpensive, place to shoot. Range maintenance comes and goes. Range workers come and go. Sometimes good.. sometimes not so. Compared to some years past, the range has improved. For me, the place has always been a pleasant place to spend a weekend morning.

It was explained to me, by one of them old timers the OP wrote of, to be fear of the errant skyward shot. A shot, traveling the max range of some magnums, could possibly impact within an area that people might be in. This is a recent change at Range 15. Started maybe two months ago. I don't know what could possibly be in the impact area, that wasn't there three months ago... or three years ago. Anyway, the rumor was that some people didn't like the idea of them .338 Lapua jobs that people were shooting.

If there really is a problem with the chance of "errant shots", you aren't solving it. Don't think a 270 or 30-06 can lob a bullet far enough to hurt someone? Please. It's just some ignoramus' way of of trying to be important. I have been shooting out there for over 20 years and it is fairly well supervised compared to most ranges. Plus, there is this dude who seems to live there who wears his full bird insignia on his hat and he's always giving potential yahoos the stink eye.

But to tell some guy with a 7mm or 300 he can't shoot his rifle there? If it's unsafe there, Tacoma Sportsman's club should be tallying dead bodies left an right.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top