JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
picture taken from the Classifieds.

I know you are not suppose to refinish collectible firearms. But if you don't care about resale value and want it just as a range gun, can the finish be fixed? does pitting like this even matter other than the aesthetics?

thanks for any advise in advance.
:s0155:

I wouldnt worry about refinishing it as to devalueing it but if it looks like that externally I would definately open it up and check the internals as well as the bore.

what causes a gun to pit this bad? just a poor finish in the first place?

I'm sure you could have it re-chromed but I don't know for sure...

Leaving it in a leather holster for extended periods of time and never wiping it down with a light coat of gun oil... It gets especially bad if the gun was carried as the salt in the sweat permeates the leather and attacks the finish it is more pronounced in our climate with the higher humidity.

I wouldn't worry about that revolvers collectable value. That ship has sailed. If the internals and the bore have avoided the pitting and rust damage I would say that would be a good canidate for refinishing. Now trying to fill those rust pits will be the challenge. Traditional Bluing would only be possible if you were to sand out the pits. I really doubt that is possible. So any type of metal filler would put you into some type of painted on finish.

I guess you could have it traditionally chromed using a copper layer to fill in the pits. But the heavy buffing process and blending a chrome shop would do could round edges and otherwise mess up the gun.

It would have to be an almost give away price to make it worth messing with IMHO

There is no getting that gun back to looking like it did when it came from the factory. The pits look too deep to polish out without taking too much off. If you did decide to go that way, the markings would all need to be taken to a firearms engraved to be restored. By the time all was said and done, you'd be in the gun WAY to far, especially since, as has been said above, the collectible value is mostly gone already. Check the internals. If the gun in functional and shoots well, leave it as is. Think of it as a spare, throw-away, lender, or cache gun (whichever term works for you).

maybe you could duracoat it? I was thinking that maybe a primer base would fill in alot of the pitting or atleast clean it up enough to be not as noticeable... I dont know much about it though just tossing out an idea for ya. Would look okay duracoated black imo

Thanks for the info about leather holsters sweating! note to self...avoid leather holsters

maybe you could duracoat it? I was thinking that maybe a primer base would fill in alot of the pitting or atleast clean it up enough to be not as noticeable... I dont know much about it though just tossing out an idea for ya. Would look okay duracoated black imo

Thanks for the info about leather holsters sweating! note to self...avoid leather holsters

Just take care of your weapon. No worries then.

if it causing pitting I will pass on the leather holsters... thats my point. glad you got a kick out of it though

Oh, you were serious.

No, leather holsters do not cause pitting anymore than any other material that can trap moisture on the surface. Polymer, plastic, nylon, cotton, etc, are all just as capable of causing this sort of damage.
The vast majority of high end holsters are made of various types of leather.

Never store a gun long term in a holster.
Never leave a wet gun in a wet holster of any material.

yeah that gun was for sale a while back in 09. some one decided to bump that thread asking if it was still for sale for 299. was just curious as to if anything can be done with these "abused" firearms. thanks for all the info fellows!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top