JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know these are two of the more popular powders, especially for 9mm. The cost between them are similar. For all you experienced reloaders who may know, is there much difference or advantage between the two? They must be different somehow, otherwise they would not be two separate powders.

Also, I'm trying to decide between Unique, Bullseye, and CFE Pistol for my next powder I want to try. I've decided to sell my Titegroup powders and am looking for the next one. Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Try Promo and or Red Dot. The load data is the same.. Promo just doesnt have the red dots in it. Very economical, efficient and proven powders.

Bullseye is a very fast burning powder. The advantage is that you use much less so it's very economical to use. Best for low to mid-range velocities. A lot of target shooters used to use Bullseye. The downside is because you use so little, it was possible to double charge it and not notice.

Unique is a mid range burning powder and a more flexible powder. I've used it for handgun and shotgun. I have used it for .380 to .44 Mag loads. Because you need a larger quantity of powder, it's almost impossible to double charge.

One time I got distracted while reloading and did double charge a .45 case, the case overflowed. It was very obvious it was a double charge. Due to this and that it is a very flexible powder, it is my preferred choice of handgun powder. It's not "the best" powder for 9mm, .44, or .45 but it does work well.

Having said that, I will also hasten to add that they are not the cleanest burning powders.

I use bullseye in my 9mm and find it economical and consistant. I use unique in 38/357 and the 44 family and 45auto as U fills the case with more volume. I also like the recoil curve using U versus faster burning alliant/hercules Powders.
you can tell by the mention of "Hercules", I have been doing this for several decades...have not killed myself nor blown up a gun yet!

i use bullseye for 9mm, 9mm subs, 40, 45acp and 38spl.

its a great powder.

unique is great too and works for a very large variety of calibers

Do a load work-up and see how they shoot in your gun(s).
For years I used Titegroup. I find it dirty.
I just did a bunch of load testing for 230gr HP 45ACP, using WC231, Autocomp, AA#2, SR7625 and Unique. WC231 was, hands-down, the most accurate of the bunch.
I use Unique for soft shooting 308.

You didn't say what bullet weight you propose to load in 9mm Para. There is a range of bullet weights available for this cartridge. Bullet weight will determine to some extent what speed powder is most appropriate. As an example, Bullseye would not be a good choice for the heavier 9mm bullets. If you don't already have one, get yourself a reloading manual or use online data to compare powder choices/charges for various bullet weights.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't use Bullseye or Unique in any bullet weight of 9mm Para. There are simply enough better choices. Bullseye is on the low end of velocity. Unique tends to be dirty/smoky and is a kind fluffy powder for a cartridge with limited case capacity. 231 is a good powder for 9mm Para but not with heavier bullets. 231 has a lot of applicability to other cartridges so it's handy in that way. If you can afford it, Vihtavuori 3N37 is a good powder applicable to all bullet weights up to 147 gr. I've got an 8 pound jug of AA#5 that I've been working on for many years, it's a good one across the board of bullet weights in 9mm. There are many others.

Been loading Unique in 9mm for more than 25 years, works well for me with 115gr fmj from a Glock 19, leaves the brass in a neat circle 3 ft to the right and rear of the shooter.

Do as @P7id10T suggested, work up loads and see how they perform for you and the firearm(s) your running it through. There's no magic recipe, and each set of components have to be concocted ina manner that shoots your specific needs.

Good luck and stay safe...

You didn't say what bullet weight you propose to load in 9mm Para. There is a range of bullet weights available for this cartridge. Bullet weight will determine to some extent what speed powder is most appropriate. As an example, Bullseye would not be a good choice for the heavier 9mm bullets. If you don't already have one, get yourself a reloading manual or use online data to compare powder choices/charges for various bullet weights.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't use Bullseye or Unique in any bullet weight of 9mm Para. There are simply enough better choices. Bullseye is on the low end of velocity. Unique tends to be dirty/smoky and is a kind fluffy powder for a cartridge with limited case capacity. 231 is a good powder for 9mm Para but not with heavier bullets. 231 has a lot of applicability to other cartridges so it's handy in that way. If you can afford it, Vihtavuori 3N37 is a good powder applicable to all bullet weights up to 147 gr. I've got an 8 pound jug of AA#5 that I've been working on for many years, it's a good one across the board of bullet weights in 9mm. There are many others.

What do you think about Red Dot or CFE Pistol? Or any others? I use 115 grain FMJ for basic practice rather than any competition. Thanks.

I load single stage with an RCBS Uni-Flow and neither Bullseye or Unique measure great being they are flake powders. That being said, I still have Bullseye and Unique on hand from the dark days when that's all I could find. My 9mm and .40 go to is HS-6. It burns clean in those higher pressure rounds, fills cases better than faster powders, wider weight ranges and measures very smooth.

re:
What do you think about Red Dot or CFE Pistol?

I haven't shot much Red Dot simply because local suppliers rarely have it when I need powder. I did experiment with CFE in 9/38/357 and did not have satisfactory results. Perhaps simply my own set up, but my range of recipes for 9 did not produce reliable slide function.

Unique never metered within 0.1g from cartridge to cartridge in my 45LC cowboy loads, out of a Dillon 650, so I changed to Universal. Similar ballistics with better flow consistency.

In the last few years I've come to really:eek: dislike :confused: loading 9mmo_O with anything.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have been using CFE Pistol for a few years and it has worked fine for me in a couple of 9mm pistols I shoot. I like it because it doesn't seem to produce as much smoke and the guns are cleaner after a range session. I have used Power Pistol and Titegroup with my 9mm loads and the smoke bothers my eyes and throat. I use a little dandy powder dispenser with a loading block. I like to eye ball each load before closing them up ;)

Dillon 650 station 3 & 4 is directly under my hawk-like eyeballs for visual, and powder sensor at the ready should I somehow nod off...

I dislike loading 380 as they too demonstrate the fat finger virus remains unaccountably active in my body despite years of therapy.

It takes about a decade to get over the travails of loading the last batch, by which time I've nearly burned through that lot.
The shock of what the updated prices have become drives me into another do-se-doe with another pile of 380 components.

Always been a fan of bullseye. It's what I use exclusively now for 9mm and 45ACP

Very economical powder to use. A little goes a long way. I stopped using it due to risk of double charging. I think the phrase, "God watches over fools and reloaders" was coined when Bullseye was released. I have seen what a double charge of Bullseye will do to a target bull gun.

If you can't decide between Bullseye and Unique, you might consider Hodgdon Universal. It sort of splits the difference and meters better than Unique or Bullseye and is cleaner burning than Unique. There are many other viable options, W-231, Accurate No. 5, HS-6, Alliant BE-86, and others. The past few years I have loaded mostly 115 gr FMJ or JHP with Titegroup, CFE Pistol or Power Pistol. I like Power Pistol for its versatility in .357 Magnum, as well as 9mm. You might also try to find some Alliant Sport Pistol, as a lot of people think it is the answer to the 9mm question. I haven't found any yet, and really should finish off the W-231, Titegroup, Unique, Universal, Bullseye and Power Pistol I have in stock before I add to my inventory.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top