JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems the Grendel, 300BO, and the ol' Commie standby 7.62x39mm are the 3 major contenders in that particular niche right now. I went with the Grendel, though the 6.8 SPC did begin as a possibility for me.

What sealed the 6.8 for me was that I am not a high BC boolit guy. They do have their uses, but just not for me. The ballistics between the two are close enough within 200 yds that the 6.8 was the only real choice. One thing that helped was I had just gotten involved with a ranch that was loaded with pigs and YouTube had a good number of videos of guys making the 6.8 out to be the big thing for hogs.

I'll also ad that I love being in the woods when it's snowing/raining and I don't have to worry about it getting wet like I would with an old wood stocked rifle.

6.8 SPC uses .277 dia bullets which no other popular caliber uses. 6.5 Grendel use .264 dia bullets which is popular. So, I can see why manufacturers would rather concentrate on .264 dia bullets rather than a 'boutique' caliber.

6.8 SPC uses .277 dia bullets which no other popular caliber uses. 6.5 Grendel use .264 dia bullets which is popular. So, I can see why manufacturers would rather concentrate on .264 dia bullets rather than a 'boutique' caliber.
270 Winchester isn't popular?
:)

Bruce
Bruce beat me to it, but what about the new 6.8 Western? I get that there is a bit of a weight range difference, but all of these, plus the 270 Winchester Short Mag all use .277 bullets.

I don't think 6.8SPC is dead.
Still popular with hog hunters and some deer hunters.
Takes less structure out of the AR bolt.
Shaped to feed well.
Good mid-range performance.

Grendel has the 6.5 family of bullets even though it can't drive them as fast as one would like.
But they are arrows and arrows fly.
6mmARC (6mmxGrendel) is getting popular while 6x6.8 is excellent, but has too many variants.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top