JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I liked my 6.8 SPC and was disappointed when the .gov decided not to adopt it.
In the civilian world, seems like most are preferring the 6.5 Grendel instead, which I have no interest in.

Is the 6.8 dead? Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it fade away like a fart in the wind.

Here's some love: I LOVE my 6.8's 🥰😍😘

I built my 1st one in 2014 after reading literally everything that I could find on the on the 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 Grendal subject, and never looked back. I run ARP barrels and my favorite loads are with the 120 SST and 95 TTSX all with A2200. Range ammo is with 110 Nosler HP's.

Here's some more love. 💋💋

This target is at 200 yards using the 95gr TTSX. That is six shots in the center.

6_8%207-3-2016.jpg

I admit to have been rather enamored with the 6.8, but never committed to the build. Then I found the .300BLK and stuck with it. It made more sense to me with having to only change the barrel to convert, and not needing different mags, whereas the 6.8 conversion required a barrel, a bolt, and mags. Additionally, I had and almost inexhaustable supply of 5.56 brass to convert rather than having to buy 6.8 SPC brass. But, to each his own.

I admit to have been rather enamored with the 6.8, but never committed to the build. Then I found the .300BLK and stuck with it. It made more sense to me with having to only change the barrel to convert, and not needing different mags, whereas the 6.8 conversion required a barrel, a bolt, and mags. Additionally, I had and almost inexhaustable supply of 5.56 brass to convert rather than having to buy 6.8 SPC brass. But, to each his own.
Yeah, it's the cartridge specific parts that killed this round in my opinion.

Not by me its not dead.

Have three ar's in 6.8 2 16s and a 14.5 with a piston kit. Run A5 buffer systems on all of them.
Also have a savage bolt action I built with one of the ARP barrels he did. Super fun and accurate rifle.
Admittedly I do shoot the 556 rifles more as they are less expensive. But the 6.8s still get out and aren't going anywhere soon.
I picked up a ton of federal once fired brass from when LWRC had there deal with the Saudis. So I'm set there its just find bullets that gets to be a pain.

I can't get any love for the 6.8, is it dead?
Probably not dead, but on life support.

I'm sure it is a fine caliber, but I already had enough proprietary magazines and bolts for other alternative or niche calibers that I couldn't justify the expense for yet another caliber that is splitting hairs in an already flooded segment, especially if that segment is being well served by another caliber I already have. I suspect many shooters are suffering from similar caliber overload/burnout.

But they say variety is the spice of life. I just decided to keep the variety to the 4 calibers I have instead of 28 others that marketing guys at the ammo companies say I need.

I really like the 6.8 SPC I have two AR's one 16" and one 12.5" . I think it's a great round for calling predators drops coyotes in their tracks and will work if a cougar or bear comes in also does great as a deer round.

I saw mention of the 6.8 in an article recently and wondered the same as the OP. I find the timing of this thread ironic.
I'll bet the 6.8 SPC turns out like a lot of cartridges, 357 Remington Maximum as an example. A few loyal fans that keep it on life support, while the rest of the gun industry moves on.

I saw mention of the 6.8 in an article recently and wondered the same as the OP. I find the timing of this thread ironic.
I'll bet the 6.8 SPC turns out like a lot of cartridges, 357 Remington Maximum as an example. A few loyal fans that keep it on life support, while the rest of the gun industry moves on.
It was more out of curiosity. I've had some 6.8 stuff that wouldn't sell in the classifieds. I'm kind of leaning towards it being my RV gun if it doesn't move, which it really hasn't.

I am still a fan of the 6.8spc. I have had an arp build (since sold) and currently still have a 16" palmetto chf upper that shoots great with many factory and handloads. For target shooting the 6.5 grendel has better longer range ballistics, but for deer hunting the 6.8 is the equal of the grendel.

It seems like there was a movement to maximize the firepower in the AR15 platform thats settling down. I cant say the 6.8 is dead but do feel like the 6.5 Grendel won out.
Im starting on a 6.5G build but the round I wish would have become popular is the 25WSSM, thats a screamer in the AR platform but Im not reading hardly anything on it to warrant building one. I would at least like to be able to buy factory ammo for anything years down the road.

If you take the 25 WSSM, the barrel life will be much shorter than a 223.
Remington screwed the pooch on the 6.8 introduction, but I suspect it will stay on as a niche cartridge, as @orygun suggests.
Mine shoot from 95 to 130gr bullets well, which is a versatility I appreciate.

If you take the 25 WSSM, the barrel life will be much shorter than a 223.
Remington screwed the pooch on the 6.8 introduction, but I suspect it will stay on as a niche cartridge, as @orygun suggests.
Mine shoot from 95 to 130gr bullets well, which is a versatility I appreciate.
I think they will all be a niche cartridge for the AR15 except the Grendel, because several companies are making that in bolt hunting rifles, not hard to find those anyways. "They've" been marketing AR15s to the hunting community ("MSR") for many more years now and its not really catching on, IMO from what I see in the field here in Oregon anyways.
I wouldnt be too worried about barrel life in a hunting rifle, I do think the 25WSSM tops them all for hunting purposes.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top