JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What the hell is an "active shooter"? You are either shooting or you are not shooting.
When you are shooting you are a "shooter", and if you are not shooting you are certainly
not an active shooter. Drama and sensationalism plays a huge roll in these issues, and media
because they are in a race to beat out the competition say what they have to, to increase
their ratings. I think, and this can't happen, that if there were some magical way to not
report these mass killings it would reduce the happenings.

It may perpetuate mental health, but I wouldn't say it is a cause of violent crime.

I think violence has always been present in society at a certain percentage. The larger the population, the larger that number. Even if the percentage of violent actors goes down, but the population increases at a greater rate, the number of violent actors still increases.
@Reno is winning the critical thinker title . I don't care what the average golfer thinks. Lol

I firmly believe social media has not improved society . Those algorithms designed to show you exactly what you want to see and hear are bad ju ju . It is an amplified echo chamber that has done irreparable harm . I think the damage done outweighs any good that might be present from the technology.

I firmly believe social media has not improved society . Those algorithms designed to show you exactly what you want to see and hear are bad ju ju . It is an amplified echo chamber that has done irreparable harm . I think the damage done outweighs any good that might be present from the technology.
When I lived overseas, I really valued Facebook. It was the best way to keep up with family and friends. Now I realize it's just pure evil.

@Reno is winning the critical thinker title . I don't care what the average golfer thinks. Lol
It's just my education doing its thing.

Humans are pretty simple, yet extremely complicated!

Math is pretty easily agreeable.

100 people on earth. 5% commit murder. 5 bad people.
1,000,000 people on earth. 3% commit murder, a decrease in murder. 30,000 bad people.

Where we at now, 6 billion?

Say we are at 0.1% commit murder, huge decrease in overall % overtime. Yet that still means 600,000 bad people.

Combined with cameras attached to everyone's phones. Cameras on most buildings, cars, etc. It might not be more, actually less, but the media will make it seem like it's everywhere.

In regards to my post ( #10 )
A different approach to the "Why" of mass / active shootings may be taking look at all of those who suffer from the same issues or fit the pattern of a shooter....and yet don't act out or harm others.
Andy

What's your theory?

Mine: ineffective societal management of mental illness.

Edit - I meant to quote Andy, but i forgot to quote him, so i went back and quoted him. OK.

It may perpetuate mental health, but I wouldn't say it is a cause of violent crime.

I think violence has always been present in society at a certain percentage. The larger the population, the larger that number. Even if the percentage of violent actors goes down, but the population increases at a greater rate, the number of violent actors still increases.
Few years ago a friend and I discussing "gun violence" told me exactly this, and it was an eye opener. Essentially the percentage of violent criminals in any society has never changed and will always remain the same. To me this is why mass shootings while horrific are still statistically rare (well, except to the media). I dont think social media has even contributed to shootings, mass shootings are nothing new throughout history since guns were invented... the population density in the country has doubled in the last 100 years alone though.

Where we at now, 6 billion?

We're at 8 billion now. ;)

The population of the world more than doubled in my lifetime and more than tripled in my father's lifetime and he is still alive.

We were at less than 1 billion for all of human history until like a few years ago, and now we're at 8 billion.

I'm in my 50s and raised in America so I do have some point of reference. I think the first active shooting I can recall was San Diego McDonalds in the early 80s. The next was Texas Luby's. Gangs hadn't really started shooting each other in large numbers until late 80s early 90s.
Your premises is incorrect. Gangs have always been shooting at each other. It just isn't reported as much as a sensational Lone Gunman.
The other problem is the constantly shifting definition of "Mass Shooting". If someone drives up to an outdoor basketball game and empties a Glock 33 round magazine, but nobody was killed or seriously hurt, is that still a Mass Shooting?

To determine if it gets reported or not, you need to refer to Sailer's Law of Mass Shootings.

Sailer's Law of Mass Shootings (four or more casualties) says that if there are more wounded than dead, then the shooter was probably black and the story will not make the national news, but in the rarer cases where there are more dead than wounded, the shooter was probably nonblack and will get full coverage.

The cause? No. But it is a major contributing factor. But not just social media, technology in general too.

We are more connected now than we ever have been before. But we feel more alone and more isolated than we ever have before. We have no sense of tribe, no sense of community, little to no investment in those communities, and VERY poor support systems.

And is it any wonder when kids today spend the bulk of their time interacting with devices and technology instead of with actual people, building strong relationships that are so critical to our mental health, well being, and development.

Add to this a group of parents that does everything in their power to insulate their children from all forms of stress, hardships, and problems, where kids are given a trophy for simply showing up, and told how wonderful and special they are without having to actually do anything to earn those praises.

Add to this the enormous decay of our family structures, our family values, and the ever increasing absence of fathers. Because it turns out that fathers are enormously important to the health and development of our young boys. They're pretty important to the development of our young girls too but at least our young girls don't tend to go shooting up the school when they get pissed off.

So little Johnny grows up and it doesn't take very long before the harsh realities of life hit him square in the face. It doesn't take long for him to realize that the world doesn't give a crap about him or how "special" he is, and the world actually wants him to work his butt off before it even so much as acknowledges him, let alone rewards him.

It doesn't take little Johnny long to figure this out and by the time he does he is pissed. Except he's NEVER had to deal with feelings like this before and lord knows he doesn't have the tools or support system to handle it. Throw in a dose or two of bullying and a couple of prescriptions of antidepressants, and in the most extreme cases you've got yourself a school shooter.

What's your theory?

Mine: ineffective societal management of mental illness.

Edit - I meant to quote Andy, but i forgot to quote him, so i went back and quoted him. OK.
I do not have a theory.
I can tell you why I chose to do something or not...but I can not answer the "why " of others.
Andy

Edit to add :

The idea behind my post which you quoted was to see what common factors are with shooters...then compare that with the numbers of folks who share those factors and did not harm others....
Maybe find the "why" from those who don't harm others , vs. those who do.
Just wanting to try a different approach.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews