JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My long forgotten and silent email notifications have been pinging lately. Somehow thru the last year of silence I still scored the powder I needed anyways.
Primers and brass are still silent and feel a long ways away still.

We are finding good supplies of powder at Sportsmans, Murdochs, and at local vendor. Found primers at Pendleton Bi-Mart in June. 2 sleeves person per day. But no Unique or Reloaders (i.e.: RL-19;22; 17 15.) Lots of TAC and CFE. Prices are reasonable.

My only question is why are primers averaging approx. 75% higher than pre covid?

I am basing this on a 'random sampling' of what certain primers were selling for in say 2020 and what they are now (using Sportsman's Whorehouse website)

Even at the recent post of primers at Bi Mart for $5.99/100 that is still in excess of the $2.99 they probably were pre 2020 which is still just shy of a 70% increase.

This is considerably higher than current inflation and I am wondering if the Mfgs. saw what primers were being scalped for and decided the 'paranoid' reloading market will accept 70 + % increases in price.

Yes everything costs more than when Trump was President. Fuel, Food, Primers, Ammo, Raw Materials, Freight, Motel Rooms, whatever it all just plain costs more. FJB.

My only question is why are primers averaging approx. 75% higher than pre covid?

I am basing this on a 'random sampling' of what certain primers were selling for in say 2020 and what they are now (using Sportsman's Whorehouse website)

Even at the recent post of primers at Bi Mart for $5.99/100 that is still in excess of the $2.99 they probably were pre 2020 which is still just shy of a 70% increase.

This is considerably higher than current inflation and I am wondering if the Mfgs. saw what primers were being scalped for and decided the 'paranoid' reloading market will accept 70 + % increases in price.
That's a good question, I would suspect 9.3 year to year inflation as of last month ( which is a lie it's definitely higher), market uncertainty, and libs trying to disarm everybody causing a continued panic.

I would like to give you an example:

Last year around November I was making $24 an hour driving a dump truck and running heavy equipment. My boss was kind enough to give all of his drivers a $2 an hour raise. With inflation as it was at that point I was still $0.16 in the red but very grateful to have the raise.

This year he has given us another dollar fifty already and it's only July. So I have received $3.50 in raises in basically the last eight months and yet it would have taken me $4.52 in raises to keep up by my math.

So essentially in the last 8 months or so even though I am making $3.50 more per hour I have received a $1 an hour pay cut from this government. That's not my bosses fault. That's Bidenomics. This is what happens when an imbecile is left in charge.

Fear drives high prices. The sky's the limit until there's an end to this present darkness. Hunker down brother it's not going to get better for a while at least.

I meant to reply to the powder availability question. Some powder has always pretty much been available, granted it may not be the "one" but it will work safely. So here's a pro tip, go to the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center pick a Caliber, then a preferred bullet weight. Leave the manufacturer and powder choices blank. Click on show data. I just did this for a 270 Winchester with a 130gr bullet. It came up with 80 loads and looking at the data I see 4 powders that are in stock, Wala, order direct from Hodgdon and enough to spread out the hazmet/shipping and Bob's you uncle.

Last Edited:
That's a good question, I would suspect 9.3 year to year inflation as of last month ( which is a lie it's definitely higher), market uncertainty, and libs trying to disarm everybody causing a continued panic.

Last year around November I was making $24 an hour driving a dump truck and running heavy equipment. My boss was kind enough to give all of his drivers a $2 an hour raise. With inflation as it was at that point I was still $0.16 in the red but very grateful to have the raise.

This year he has given us another dollar fifty already and it's only July. So I have received $3.50 in raises in basically the last eight months and yet it would have taken me $4.52 in raises to keep up by my math.

So essentially in the last 8 months or so even though I am making $3.50 more per hour I have received a $1 an hour pay cut from this government. That's not my bosses fault. That's Bidenomics. This is what happens when an imbecile is left in charge.

Fear drives high prices. The sky's the limit until there's an end to this present darkness. Hunker down brother it's not going to get better for a while at least.
Sorry to contribute to thread drift, just thought I'd comment on inflation and wages. My employer (multinational corporation) gave everyone their usual 2.5%-3% raise this year. They had their quarterly presentation online, and anyone can submit question for a Q&A at the end. Someone asked if raises would be larger to help offset inflation. Nope, not a chance. They actually said that inflation is temporary, and if they gave larger raises because of it, they would have to take it back when prices went back down. :confused:

7.99 for a 100 sleeve of federal sp mag. 200 limit at sportsmans..... they have some powder too. Stuff is coming back, i have seen lots of ammo too...albeit a little pricey.

7.99 for a 100 sleeve of federal sp mag. 200 limit at sportsmans..... they have some powder too. Stuff is coming back, i have seen lots of ammo too...albeit a little pricey.
I am seeing more of everything also...not buying but seeing. I notice it's not moving very fast either. That's a good sign. Hopefully some sales will start happening so they can turn over inventory. We need a good solid glut from overproduction. That's funny sounds like oil and gas good luck with that.

I guess in the big 'scheme' if things this is acceptable - considering the upper end, 'match grade' primers were in the $4.29ish price range a couple years ago - but lets hope the prices subside a little more.
I can see $5 & $6 being a more acceptable level of cost not the current $11 & $15 per 100.

Wait til you get the new bill for Health Insurance (that is, if you actually pay that).

Aloha, Mark

PS....how is this post.....related to the subject of gun powder?

Well, if I was able to keep more money.......I could buy more gun powder, guns, and/or ammo. FJB.

Wait til you get the new bill for Health Insurance (that is, if you actually pay that).

Aloha, Mark

PS....how is this post.....related to the subject of gun powder?

Well, if I was able to keep more money.......I could buy more gun powder, guns, and/or ammo. FJB.
A previous post was asking about the high price of it. It was meant to relate to the price remaining high or even going up.

Prices are going to come down. If the economy keeps going in the wrong direction we may see a glut of components in the market. Rent, food and bills will come before reloading components for most people.

RE : Prices Up or Down?

If I could better predict the tread of certain prices.....I might follow Nancy's husband's lead and invest in "options." Yeah.....it can be done. And ALL without ANY insider information. Rrrrright......

Aloha, Mark

ageingstudent,

No offense.
My comment was more about.....directed at......your "expressed happiness" that was felt over your pay raise.

That's a joke. Yes, my sarcasm meter probably needs adjustments.

Anyway.....
OK, Ok, ok......
Perhaps it might help/be better to explain......

Story Time.
The Chief of Police came down to the squad room to announce that the "rank and file" was getting a pay raise. (I can't remember the exact numbers but stick with me.) So the pay raise was say 3% over X years. Then, he went on to inform us......that the Health Care Insurance costs were raising by 5% next year. Hummm........should I really stop my scheduled retirement because I would be getting a pay raise?

NOT.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA