JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just learned about this on another forum and found this, and a couple other articles on it.

The Oregon Prohibit the Injury or Killing of Animals Initiative may appear on the ballot in Oregon as an initiated state statute on November 5, 2024. The initiative would criminalize the injury or killing of animals, including farming, ranching, hunting, fishing, trapping, pest control, research, or teaching.

It seems I recall this being tried at least TWO times in the past and nothing came of it.
Of little comfort, The Max system was turned down a bunch of times to no avail.
For the zillionth time their still pushing road tolls, sales tax on and off, both likely to happen, sooner or later, if not up front voted on then, snuck in some back door.
For the people, by the people, as was intended is just a figment any more.

We have to stay informed and vocal. As far as our gun rights are concerned, need to hold our noses and vote R across the board, hoping we don't fall farther behind.

Imagine a world where none of the states 2A advocacy groups would endorse you, so you formed your own 2A group so you could endorse each other. Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Of little comfort, The Max system was turned down a bunch of times to no avail.
For the zillionth time their still pushing road tolls, sales tax on and off, both likely to happen, sooner or later, if not up front voted on then, snuck in some back door.
For the people, by the people, as was intended is just a figment any more.
The "corporate activity tax" is a sales tax. There's even a line item on some invoices for "tax recovery"

An example: Let's suppose there are four candidates, One democrat and three republicans. The democrat gets 42% of the votes, One of the r's gets 7%, one of the r's gets 26% of the votes and the other receives 25%. Since none received the majority, the lowest percentage candidate is out and the two in the middle now combine votes with the highest one taking all. That means that the r with the highest number of votes, after combining them, now has a majority. That person then wins the seat, even though that person did not, themself, receive the majority.

It's similar to packing the court. Put enough candidates of your choosing into the mix, and you're sure to win, even though no single candidate wins the majority. That's basically what happened in Alaska last election. It's popularly described as a way to reduce election anxiety and eliminate run-offs.

I'll get more information and start a thread specifically on the topic. FWIW, the MDM system is put into place specifically to reduce any discussion of this topic.

When I was young there were no such things as 50/50 elections, and today they seem to happen with each unpopular election, like what happened with 114. It's like some type of psychological operation.

It's also very strange that the public is voting on laws that take away our Constitutional Rights.

They will keep trying every 5 to 10 years. This is the long game. Sure it would never pass now.. but 20 years ago this would have never even been an idea let alone a IP. Participation in hunting/shooting and fishing sports keeps dwindling, eventually they will get their way. The splash and giggle, hiking, SUP, kayak, birdwatching crowd will make up odfw's new tax cattle base.

The "corporate activity tax" is a sales tax. There's even a line item on some invoices for "tax recovery"
We make SURE to put the following itemized lines in our invoices which are based on the established percentages set by each taxing "authority"…

Oregon CAT
METRO tax
Multnomah Co use tax

…this way people get to see what they voted for!

Wake up! Businesses don't pay taxes, they merely collect it for the government via higher prices for the consumer.

Trying? You bet. Just wait until we get that new ODFW Director in place.

From a different thread:

Don't worry about a thing @Koda

Here is a statement from the ODFW press release announcing Melcher's retirement:

"The Commission will work closely with Governor Kotek's Natural Resources Office to recruit a new ODFW Director," Wahl continued. "We seek a director with a strong record protecting and managing our fish, wildlife and habitat assets, and one who will be an exceptional leader creating a vision for ODFW's work that meets the challenges Oregon faces from accelerating climate change and biodiversity loss impacts, and threats to our cold water sources."

Kinda makes me tear up. Or throw up. :confused::( I think there will be much less focus on achieving management objectives in game populations, and much more focus on left-wing priorities/payoffs. Maybe Shemia Fagan is still looking for a job.

Well - it sounds like there will be black market meat imported into the state with grocery stores not being able to sell dead animals and such as that would be super hypocritical and all….:confused:

Hunting is a form of population control to prevent winter deaths. It's not just a sport it's proper wildlife management. Without it you will have more "white deaths" occur which is where entire herds starve to death. Not killing some can lead to the death of all.

Can you explain the negatives of ranked choice voting? I've not heard any opposing views to the people in favor
The only negatives I have heard are related to "voter confusion" and how some parties might be negatively affected if a portion of their voters continue to vote for only one candidate (like what happened in Alaska). But if you ask me that is more closely related to party confusion as they continue to run only one candidate and refuse to give voters multiple choices they can rank, as a significant number of people in that election only had one viable option to pick from to represent their values.

In my opinion the only real negative for RCV is that it might make elections more expensive over all as more candidates run with similar values and more of them can be considered viable in the final vote. There is less motivation to consolidate the field and rally behind a single one for each major party. There is also the potential to cause "information fatigue" in voters if there are too many candidates on their side, but again I would pin that more on the party than the voter. I think the real issues will boil down to election strategists figuring out how to optimize messaging to promote a platform rather than an individual candidate under RCV. If they continue to optimize for a single candidate I think they will open themselves up to spoilers as they convince voters to go "all in" on "their" candidate and forgo the benefits of the RCA system.

And that is my ted talk on how I think Alaska got such weird results in their first RCV election.

There is also an argument that RCV is more complex than single vote systems, which means fraud and shenanigans are more easy to pull off. I think that mostly boils down to over-all election integrity though, as we have seen that such shenanigans are a pretty regular occurrence even under our current simpler system.

But that "less motivation to rally behind a single candidate" is exactly why I think RCA is a net positive for voters. It allows more moderate and less polarizing candidates to become viable and it eliminates the "strategic voting" flaw of one-vote systems. This means you can vote first for an nonviable candidate you like and use your strategic vote as your second or third option, confident that they will backstop your party or platform and your preference vote will not spoil your strategic vote and cause an opposition candidate to gain a victory. RCV would allow us to really see how viable third party candidates are as well informed voters can put them at or near the top of their rankings, while low information voters will continue to place only well known names from the major parties in those spots. RCV could totally upset the status quo for both parties if election strategists figure out new messaging strategies.

I can also see why major parties might think of that as a bad thing and oppose the idea.

The left has nothing to lose. You cant compromise with anyone who doesnt, but wants to control your every move. They will chip away year after year until they get their way. Its not just gun rights, its everything.

Last Edited:
Yes, Oregon is actively trying to ban hunting. Its actually much more than hunting, its a vegan agenda group that is also trying to ban ranching or meat production in Oregon.

I think its now called IP28. direct from their website: "IP28 prohibits any activity—other than self-defense and veterinary practices—that intentionally injures, kills, or sexually violates an animal, many of which are currently legal because they are exempt from our animal cruelty laws."

On a side note but related, this isnt just an Oregon trend, anti hunting trend is spreading nationally. Currently in Washington they are trying to virtually eliminate cougar hunting.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top