Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is it even possible???

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by bubby88, Jun 2, 2011.

1. bubby88

bubby88 Oregon New Member

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a good/decent handgun for protection, and plinking purposes. I want to spend around $400. for one. Is it even possible to get a good handgun for $400??? I don't want a 9mm, i'm looking for a 40 or a 45 caliber. IF it is possible to get one for this amount what kind do you guys suggest???

I love having guns, but the wife HATES them, so I don't have many. I've got a AR-15, 10-22 Ruger, and a Marlin lever action 30-30.

Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

2. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's easily possible to get a decent handgun for $400 or less in a larger caliber than 9mm. For example, the Kahr CW40 and CW45 are both available for under $400. Rock Island 1911's in .45 are available in the high $300 range as well. I'm sure there are others as well.

3. Billy 4 HP

Billy 4 HP Skagit Member

Look for a used Citadel 1911 on Gunbroker.com or other classified's. Great gun for the money in the price range you have in mind, little bit nicer fit and finish than a RIA. Otherwise Rock Island Armory (RIA) would be my second choice...

4. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

Pm coctailer, he had some used s&w .40 cal hand guns for sale not to long ago. Might have 1 left.

You might find a used or refurbished glock or XD for around your mark!

As always keep an eye on the forums. You can always find a good deal!

5. bubby88

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate it. At least I know now its possible.

6. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Stoeger Cougar 8045F Check Kieths for the price I think my son paid $439.00 or $449.00 for his Very nice .45

7. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

You could have purchased an XD40 at Fisherman's Marine and Outdoors during the first 2 weeks of May for $399. Keep watching them for upcoming sales.

8. oa98pistol512

oa98pistol512 salem area Member

Can allways get a S&W 4006 40sw for that price solid steel and if something breaks S&W sends a paid shipping receipt to fix for free!!!!!Even on used guns.... just got one back all springs and extractor replaced and shipped back to my door. The only other company that does that is Taurus.

9. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Sportsman Warehouse had the Stoeger Cougar 8040 in .40 S&W for $399.99. All metal, solid gun. Although the DA/SA is taking me some practice getting used to.
    If you can get a used Glock in .40 S&W you can always get a .22 slide and slowly get the Wife to come around and shoot the .22 caliber. Everyone ends up loving to shoot a .22.
    Mike

10. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Taurus Millenium Pro or 24/7 Pro. Both can be had new for the $ you have. I have owned both and can attest you will get an accurate, quality firearm. The 24/7 is just like the HK USP V1 in that it can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 or in the traditional DA/SA mode. Both have great ergonomics and Novak sights to boot.

11. bubby88

You know, the more I research it, the more i'd like a .45. Ireally like the citadel idea, thanks Billy 4....now where to find one in my price range....may be difficult.

12. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

Throw out a WTB on the forum for your pick! Never know till you try!

13. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Good reliable gun, but also very heavy. At 36 oz empty for the compact you'll get tired of carrying it quick. If you have no intention of concealed carry them weight is not a consideration.

14. sprocket3

sprocket3 Oregon - Wet Side Member

There are tons of the 3rd generation S&Ws pistols on the market in .40 and .45. I have four and really like them. They offer them in alloy and steel versions.

15. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I scored a very nice 3rd Gen. Glock-30 (.45acp if you didn't know that) for $425 in the classifieds here. The thing is a poster child for precision accuracy, and I couldn't be happier with it!

16. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

look on gun broker for a eaa witness you can get a combo 40 with a 22 conversion kit for your budget
    also buds gun shop and gallery of guns is a easy way to buy

theres a nice sig p220 45 for 365.00 at buds im eye balling real hard but all my money is tied up in tying the knot until the fall!

17. Poonaner

Poonaner Olympia, WA Member

Any thoughts on the American Tactical C45?

ATI TISG4196 C45 45 4.75 FS CHR 9RD $349.00 SHIPS FREE

I'm also looking for a quality .45 that isn't gonna break the bank or get me in trouble with the wifey. I'm still hearing about the AR-15 i got 4 months ago and i'm gonna have to explain why I have a new shotty coming in next week.

18. Poonaner

Poonaner Olympia, WA Member

ATI also makes a 1911 for around the same price...

19. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I sold NIB Sigma 40 & 9 today for $256.00 ea., And S&W SD-9 & SD-40 for $339 each. You just gotta find a guy who is trying to liquidate some older inventory, Heh Heh