JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Washington does not put banks off limits for arms. However, any private enterprise (and banks are...) can decide their place is off limits to arms, but must post adequate notice at all entrances. Worst case is you can be asked to leave...... and if you refuse, can be charged with criminal tresspass. I've carried into my own bank many times..... but they all know me by name, and they all trust me. Even if any of them thought guns are evil and can fly out of my holster and shoot at will, I doubt they'd even think twice if they realised I were armed.

Some states do, indeed, ban arms from banks.... best thing, if you're travelling, go to a sight that has state gun law roundups, and their rules will spell it out. Know before you go sort of thing. Whenever I'm travelling into another state, I always find out their CC rules, whether my permit works there, and what kinds of places are off limits.

Funny thing, the Post Office is considered a Federal Facility for CC regulations.... but in reality they are NOT a government entity.. they are a private corporation. But RUN by government mandate. A nice manifestation of fascism..... where private entities OWN the means of production, but the government CONTROL it.

The whole Post Office CCW thing has been the subject of long threads on many gun forums for years.. some believe it is legal, others not. I believe that unless you need to use your weapon, no one will know that you are carrying unless you do something stupid

I refuse to be a victim, so I take my chances on being tried by 12 rather than being carried by 6. Self defense is a natural, God-given right that does not end when you walk into some building

We're going to find out here in the next few years... We have the firearms freedom acts being put in place and are being tested against the 10th amendment stating that within a state that state law is the high card and federal law only applies from one state to another state transactions. We have the lawsuits concerning the legality of forcing the healthcare on states citizens. The next few years will be interesting to watch.

The Federal government has no authority other than those listed in the Constitution, and trumping state law is not one of them unless the state law infringes on the liberties of We the People (supreme court's primary job, to defend our liberties..although they have made a horrible mess-up of that task)

In this case any law infringing on our rights in the second amendment and our right to life as listed in the Constitution, is invalid

I always carry in the banks I use. Don't really care to find out if it's technically okay or not. Doesn't matter to me because I'm going to carry anyways. Banks get robbed a lot you know. Not somewhere I'm going to go without sorry.

I'm glad you brought this point up tionico. The way I understand it, is that it IS legal in Oregon to CC in a postal facility. The employees aren't even paid directly by the goverment, they get their checks from a private contractor.
I always wonder when I hear someone spreading the misinformation that you can't carry in a Post Office. Based upon what? Please show me a ORS or other that says you can't.

there was a case recently where a person carried into the postal vehicle parking lot (not the public parking lot). He was charged with carrying a weapon into a prohibited area. Judge ruled it was a prohibited act, the conviction was appealed and upheld. So it is illegal to carry into the PO. I park on the street, and leave the pistol in my vehicle even though I have handicapped plates. I'm too old and poor to be a test case for carry onto PO property!!

BTW, it's NOT a state law, it's Federal law he violated. So in a way you're right, no one can show you an ORS or WAC that prohibits it.

I refuse to be a victim, so I take my chances on being tried by 12 rather than being carried by 6. Self defense is a natural, God-given right that does not end when you walk into some building

Of all the places I feel unsafe, a post office ain't among them. And I think we all have to get used to the idea that we can't carry just anywhere. A private business, restaurant, home, etc. has the right to exclude you if you have a firearm. Rightly so. It's their private property. So the PO is federal property? OK... But I've never felt endangered in a PO. I'm OK with leaving my firearm in the car when I go into the pizza joint (dangerous place), so I'm Ok with leaving it in the car when I go into the Post Office.

But if y'all are carrying in the PO, I've seen some of the whacked trigger-happy anti-gummint stuff you post, so maybe I better rethink this.

Of all the places I feel unsafe, a post office ain't among them. And I think we all have to get used to the idea that we can't carry just anywhere. A private business, restaurant, home, etc. has the right to exclude you if you have a firearm. Rightly so. It's their private property. So the PO is federal property? OK... But I've never felt endangered in a PO. I'm OK with leaving my firearm in the car when I go into the pizza joint (dangerous place), so I'm Ok with leaving it in the car when I go into the Post Office.

But if y'all are carrying in the PO, I've seen some of the whacked trigger-happy anti-gummint stuff you post, so maybe I better rethink this.

we have the right to ignore signs posted on private property up to a point.

First they have to post the property.
Second, they have to somehow find out you have a weapon
Third they have to ask you to leave and you have to be given the opportunity to comply. If they hold you against your will and they prevent you from leaving you can probably charge them with kidnapping. Wouldn't that be FUN!!
Only if you refuse to leave can they call a LEO and charge you with criminal trespass.

Around here we have a few restaurants that post a no weapons allowed and cite a portion of the WA law, however that section pertains to areas where minors are excluded completely by the liquor board. Even if they serve liquor in the rest of the restaurant but minors are allowed to be seated then you're fine to carry there.

Unfortunately you almost have to be a lawyer to sort it out!

our main downtown postoffice, I feel pretty safe most times. BUT-- consider this: during the insane December shipping rush, with people lined up out the door and thousands of dollars cash in receipts at the end of a busy day, AND knowing no one in there is legally armed, does it not fit the perfect target for a violent heist? It sure does to MY thinking.... and one crackpot who's either hungry or mad at the gubmint could walk in there, present, and start firing. NO ONE could do a thing about it except try and duck or scoot out of his way, or die trying. Of course, then there would be a push to install metal detectors and TSA type security to prevent anyone from bringing anything inside... when the CORRECT thing to do is change the archaic and stupid law prohibiting LAW ABIDING citizens carrying in there, just like we do anywhere else.

Two interesting facts about the post office and carrying:

first, the USPS is supposedly no longer a part of the Federal Government, but a "private corporation". Baloney... NO Federal law can regulate arms on the property of a private corporation, any more than on my own property. SO-- IF the USPS is truly a private corporation, the CFR that bans arms on that property is unconstitutional and void.

second, the CFR that bans arms on Post Office facilities also makes very specific requirements for the posting of signs AT THE ENTRANCES stating so. I've never seen this done yet... although at our downtown one, there IS such a sign at the gate leading down into the mail transport loading docks and truckyard. NOTHING on the public foot-traffic entrances. There is one cardboard sign, blended will with all the other sich signs on a wall inside... you know, the latest photo gallery, prohibited articles for mailing, the stupid "13 ounce rule", that sort of thing... but that is NOT "conspicuous", nor "at pulbic entrances".

Besides, when I'm out riding my bike, doing all my OTHER errands, carrying as always, and stop by the PO to collect mail or send off a parcel, what am I supposed to do with my carry weapon? Leave it in the bag on the back of the bike, outside, far away from the door, where anyone can steal the whole bike, or just the bag, AND my weapon? Do I have to fit a locking steel case to my bike, JUST so I can put my pistol in it when I park it at the PO (of course, out in plain view of anyone else passing by....)

come ON, folks, lets get real.....

One of the guys I work with used to open carry into his bank until one day they asked him not to carry his gun in with him. The next week they were robbed. :s0155:

The next time he went into the bank and heard they got robbed he commented to the teller that they may not have been robbed if they allowed their customers to carry.

I would have said the same thing, maybe even wrote a letter to the branch manager asking him to reconsider that policy in light of recent events.
Another tid bit on Post Office CCW.
I frequent the Main Post Office on 25th and have for about 7 years since getting a PO box. The prior postmaster for this facilty had a 'No Weapons Allowed' sign on the entrance doors. When the new postmaster, I think about 4 years ago, came onboard, the sign was taken down.
If we could vote postmasters into higher office, he would have my vote hands down.

While I do understand what your are saying The back of my mind pokes at me from all those post office employees years ago "going postal". Murphys law says things will happen when you are least prepared for them.

With that said, I have had the mindset lately of carrying everywhere with the thinking of "I would rather be caught with it than without it".

I carry into my bank all of the time also. I have been told that there are a few federally owned banks/and or credit unions though, so that may be something to watch out for.

I am not aware of any banks or financial institutions OWNED and OPERATED by the Federal Government..... except for the Federal Reserve Banks, but mere mortals like we lot here can't get there anyway. And if, by virtue of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the gubmint CLAIMS any bank ownership, there is no precedent set for that. If that were the case, I'm certain "FDIC member banks" would be listed as "off limits" for concealed carry.

and if there ARE any "federal government OWNED" banks, that power is not enumerated to the central government.... and thus such ownership/business activity would be unconstitutional.

and if there ARE any "federal government OWNED" banks, that power is not enumerated to the central government.... and thus such ownership/business activity would be unconstitutional.

As if that means anything to our present administration!

But that's for another forum, so I won't carry it any further!

So the parking lot of a post office is not a dangerous place? I guess it depends on your location and your perceptions.. me, I do not believe there is any safe place in the USA where I would allow myself to be disarmed

BTW nice ad hominem attack.. the last resort of a person who has lost the argument. I don't think Jefferson would appreciate you using his picture for your avatar, either, since you seem to be a cheerleader for our current oppressive regime

Do you carry on campus?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads