JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am having a hard time trying to decide to renew my annual membership at an outdoor shooting range.

I waited 5 years to join the range and have used it once this year for all of 5 rounds fired (a long story not worth going into) which turned into a worthless trip.

The range only allows paper targets and has IMO overly strict rules regarding procedures that border on ridiculous.

Basically, I feel like I am investing in a time in the future when it may (unfortunately) be a 90 min drive to get to the boonies to shoot reactive targets and steel. But will that ever happen?

It's only 30 min to the range and accessible by car so it has that going for it.

Oh.. And it's not open during most of the week when I prefer to shoot.

Would DDRC and over an hour drive on a good time of day/week be a better option?

Why have you only been once? Because of you (like you're busy) or becuase of the range? The club I am a member of has somewhat limited facilities, only paper targets, and a great rule set. I don't go as often as I'd like but when I do its a great time regardless.

I am having a hard time trying to decide to renew my annual membership at an outdoor shooting range.

I waited 5 years to join the range and have used it once this year for all of 5 rounds fired (a long story not worth going into) which turned into a worthless trip.

The range only allows paper targets and has IMO overly strict rules regarding procedures that border on ridiculous.

Basically, I feel like I am investing in a time in the future when it may (unfortunately) be a 90 min drive to get to the boonies to shoot reactive targets and steel. But will that ever happen?

It's only 30 min to the range and accessible by car so it has that going for it.

Oh.. And it's not open during most of the week when I prefer to shoot.

Would DDRC and over an hour drive on a good time of day/week be a better option?

I assume you're talking about DRRC - Douglas Ridge? I can tell you as a member myself, it's one of the better ranges I've been to. It's well maintained, open 7 days a week - with one exception and that's Thursdays which are open, but strictly for long range stuff - up to 1,000 yards. I'm in my 2nd year as a member, though I grew up with my dad being a member there, so I knew it from my childhood.

They have a 100/200 yard covered rifle range, which is paper target only (you can shoot closer than 100 yards using portable target stands, which they provide). They have a dynamic range which is anywhere from 7 to 125 or so yards for rifle, pistol and shotgun - all using portable target stands. You can even draw from a holster on the dynamic range - I've seen a number of ranges that won't allow that at all. They have a tactical shotgun bay for practicing defensive shotgun and pistol in close quarters. They have the silhouette range, covered, for pistol and rimfire rifle for shooting steel silhouettes and gongs, etc. As I recall you can bring your own, so long as they meet the club requirements. No reactive targets that move along the ground, for example. But things like trees are supposed to be allowed. I don't know of any ranges that will allow things like water jugs, soda cans or shaving cream bottles :( but I think that has more to do with keeping things clean for everyone.

Their trap/skeet range is closed for some construction/updates, but will hopefully be back open in early 2016. They have a nice indoor range too. And an archery range with target stands/bales at 10-60 yards.

They offer a lot of classes and competitions. The folks out there have been great to deal with. And the members keep this place clean and well maintained.

It's a 45 minute drive for me, and it's worth it. I get out there about once a month, sometimes twice, and for me, that's a good value. I just don't shoot in the woods any more - too many concerns about watching out for people that are either unsafe or just creepy.

They're doing a hunter sight-in this weekend if you want to check them out. It's $5 per rifle to do the sight-in, but the gates will be open to just drive in. I'll be working as a volunteer tomorrow from 8-12. If you are available and stop by around 12, I can give you the nickel tour before I have to head out. Just give me a heads-up if you plan to stop in.

Why have you only been once? Because of you (like you're busy) or becuase of the range? The club I am a member of has somewhat limited facilities, only paper targets, and a great rule set. I don't go as often as I'd like but when I do its a great time regardless.

Half the time it is because I just don't feel motivated to load up the car and go shoot paper. The rest of the time it's because it's open to the public on Sundays and I'm not a huge fan of weekend shooting if I can avoid it, so that leaves me Mondays and Fridays to go. Mondays seems to always be a busy day and Friday is hit and miss.

It is a minimal fee for the year, I just wonder if I'll pay on it for 20 years and then wish I hadn't bothered. The worse outcome I suppose would be letting it laps and then regretting it.

I belong and go to Tri-County and had been going 3-4 times per month even with the long drive I find it worthwhile. Especially as I can shoot steel @ the action range as well as participate in some of the competitions. Nice rifle ranges (including hot ranges) as well as shotgun.

You may want to check them out - they used to have a very long wait list but I think it's down to less than a year now.

This year I ended up also joining Vancouver Rifle & Pistol even though it is a very limited indoor range as due to medical problems can't get down to Tri-County as much as I would like to...at least for now.

Joe, those clubs are what you make of it.

It would be a refrshing change of pace to join (buy into) a gun club; nice-level target area, less trash, less ambiguity, perhaps a maintenance area, restrooms, over-head cover, tables, racks, parking, eating area, the learning from each other, networking, etc...

Ah who am I kidding; no need BSing myself about getting-along with other people.....seen it, done that, got the T shirt :D

Hierarchy is my idea of kissing the bishop's ring....I don't kiss rings any more :oops:

Cubs are better off without people like me..damn individualists.

I passed on an opportunity to join Tri county a couple months ago. For me a range membership is worthless. With a busy work schedule, and its just going to get busier, i was only able to go to the range 4 times this year. But the range I go to is a public day range with a 100 yard rifle range. Its fine for relieving stress.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top