JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This should be an interesting discussion....
Why has this not been a problem in the past? Does anyone know if the alleged gun law is new?
Whats the solution to events in public venues?

My wife and kids ran in to the same thing last month at the county fair grounds

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220801-210709_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-210709_Chrome.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 63
The Harefest event was at Clackamas County fairgrounds. You could only bring clear plastic bottles for water refills and clear plastic tote bags like they allow at Seahawks games. Security searched the clear bags and made them unroll their picnic blanket.

The case with the Botanical Gardens has been ping ponging back and forth for around 8 years and just a guess, but I bet insurance coverage was a huge part in the decision

So this has been ongoing for years now, but the NPR article I cited suggested a "recent ruling", Id be curious what that new ruling is.

The case with the Botanical Gardens has been ping ponging back and forth for around 8 years and just a guess, but I bet insurance coverage was a huge part in the decision

They're only fooling themselves, there'll be concealed handguns at any given time in their stupid little garden regardless.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, my wife said that the clear containers were to keep people from bringing alcohol in. You could buy liquor inside the venue, but only if you had a $200 VIP pass.

She saw that some people did sneak liquor bottles in.

The Harefest event was at Clackamas County fairgrounds. You could only bring clear plastic bottles for water refills and clear plastic tote bags like they allow at Seahawks games. Security searched the clear bags and made them unroll their picnic blanket.
unless they were wanding or passing thru a metal detector then it only affects the good guys

They're only fooling themselves, there'll be concealed handguns at any given time in their stupid little garden regardless.

:rolleyes:
Right, but for liability / insurance reasons it would make a difference if they "allowed" the firearms or not. Obligatory IANAL, but because the issue is so convoluted in the courts it *might* even effect the personal liability of the promoters and site staff.

Right, but for liability / insurance reasons it would make a difference if they "allowed" the firearms or not. Obligatory IANAL, but because the issue is so convoluted in the courts it *might* even effect the personal liability of the promoters and site staff.
Long live the lawyers….. :rolleyes:

Here's a recent relative video.

Last Edited:
This is the clearest breakdown on the issue that I have found so far

Its all makes sense now.... Emo music. 😋

Good article, it will be Interesting to see how gun rights groups there work out allowing guns at big events, im curious how that could work out for both gun rigbts and public safety.

Having worked security at an entertainment venue (Live Nation) there are $$$ considerations on bringing stuff in.

Re: alcohol - it is, of course, a profit center for the venue, so they'd rather you buy from them. Also, believe me when I tell you that the alcohol sales people are actually trained to recognize folks who have 'over indulged' and to cut them off as necessary. Working security, I got involved in calming down some of those folks.

And, we refused admittance to patrons obviously under the influence.

Failure to control both incoming alcohol and consumption inside the venue risks loss of the liquor license, as well as lawsuits from drunk folk who get injured.

Re: guns - as most large corps are wont to act, they fear liability; my venue did not allow guns to off-duty LE, much less CCW holders. In 15 years I encountered only 1 off-duty officer who wanted to bring in his gun, and he politely took it to his car when I asked. I also had 1 FBI and 1 SO tell me they had left theirs in their respective vehicles.

As to effectiveness of the prohibition effort, well, we searched bags and the litter on the lawn included enough alcohol containers to wonder why we bothered. We seldom wanded entering patrons, as that requirement was up to the promoters for the show, and it slowed down patron entry. The venue began to use walk-throughs the last year I worked there. But prior to that, I'm sure knives and guns did get in, and probably still do.

The only gun problem I heard of was at a different venue, where one of the credentialed guests of the show took a shot at someone back stage. That induced a procedure change, and show people were doing walk-throughs every time they went out to their travel coaches and returned, AFAIK at all Live Nation venues. Don't know if they're still doing that.

And of course, almost everywhere 'security' is a nice notion, but not a real barrier to anything serious. On a really big show, expected to have some problems, we might have about 200 security staff (our 80 plus borrowed folks plus rentals) for 13,000 patrons and a hundred show people. There also would be about 8 officers from the local PD.

'Policing' really works because the population consents; in the US in 2022 there are about 700,000 sworn officers for about 330 million US residents. Our 80 for ~10,000 worked because people were mostly out to have a good time, not cause trouble.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top