JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At least, I think they're interesting :D. So I have 2 different .223 uppers for my AR, one is a Rock River Varmint, 20" SS heavy barrel, rifle length gas, .223 Wylde chamber, 1:8 twist. The other is a brand new PSA, 16" nitrided A2 profile, mid length gas, 5.56 chamber, and 1:7 twist. I was curious what I'd see for real world velocity difference, so tried a couple different rounds in both guns past the chrono (Labradar). The loads were a Magtech factory load with a 62 gr. FMJ, and a hand load with a Hornady 55 gr. SPFB over 24.5 gr. of H335 and a Fed. GM205M primer. The Magtech came in pretty good, I went from 3050 FPS in the RRA to 2943 in the PSA, a loss of about 25 FPS/inch. This isn't a particularly accurate round in anything I've used it in, so I'm happy to almost be out of them, best I've ever gotten is 2+ MOA.

The hand load went from 2938 in the RRA to 2740 in the PSA, a loss of almost 50 FPS/in. I realize there are a whole lot of factors involved, but it was still a little surprising, especially considering how accurate this round is in both rifles, around 1 MOA, and I can maintain around 2 MOA with the PSA and a red dot (Sig Romeo7). And it carries well, too, once I figured out my hold with the red dot, I was making consecutive hits on a ~12 steel plate at ~350 yards. Considering I could barely see the damn plate, I'm calling that good ;).

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along, these two loads did a nice job of encompassing the "rule of thumb" 25-50 FPS/inch of barrel loss or gain. Later.

Dave

I have found similar with 16" barrels using certain powders compared to my bolt gun with a 20" barrel. Especially powders that were slower burning for heavier bullets. Stick powders did similar too. Faster burning and Ball powders usually lost the least from 20" to 16". I don't really play with 223/556 that much anymore, but being that you are using 335, I'm kind of interested as I used that one a lot, and it became one of my favorites.

It would be interesting to pull a bullet on one of the Magtech rounds to see what powder they may have been using.

Powder burn rate would explain some of this. One is still burning with more energy than the other one. The shorter barrel shows this difference more pronounced.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Yeah, I know the 55 gr. load is a softie, and since the Magtech is 5.56 NATO, no surprise that it's fairly hot. Reno, I've also used a lot of H335, it's pretty much my standard powder for the .223/5.56, and I also like it in the 6.5 Grendel. Not really the greatest at anything, but it's (usually :rolleyes: ) readily available, relatively inexpensive, and works "good enough" with a fairly wide variety of bullet weights and styles. As it's highly unlikely I'll ever do much shooting beyond 400 yards, this works well for me. Later.

Dave

Any NATO or military round will sacrifice accuracy for the sake of ballistic minimum and government standard. 2 MOA exceeds government by a margin. In a different weapon, it might shoot MOA or 3 MOA, everything being a crap shoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top