JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting article, good discussion fodder, but a couple of other things to consider: .gov is really crappy at keeping track of things and people, even the NSA. Other, more oppressive, countries have failed at this. I've read somplace (right, I don't have the url handy) that compliance in Australia is really low. I *do* think that it's worth thinking about possible uses of non-violent leverage to get people to comply. Garnishing wages with fines? Lien against your house? Denial of Social Security and Medicare benefits? Passports? Driver's Licenses? TSA no-fly list?

Any of those things can make a mess of your life and many will just comply.

Interesting article, good discussion fodder, but a couple of other things to consider: .gov is really crappy at keeping track of things and people, even the NSA. Other, more oppressive, countries have failed at this. I've read somplace (right, I don't have the url handy) that compliance in Australia is really low. I *do* think that it's worth thinking about possible uses of non-violent leverage to get people to comply. Garnishing wages with fines? Lien against your house? Denial of Social Security and Medicare benefits? Passports? Driver's Licenses? TSA no-fly list?

Any of those things can make a mess of your life and many will just comply.
And yet that's when we'd need it most. When the government oversteps its bounds and becomes tyrannical - not just at against a few individuals, but against masses of individuals - that's when you need guns more than ever. Just because they haven't kicked down your door yet doesn't mean it's not tyranny. Restricting access to socially accrued funds - I could probably live without. I feel like they've been stealing from me all along anyways. When you start stealing the money I've saved and worked my bubblegum off for...then all bets are off. No I'm not talking about taxes.

UK and AU don't have the 2A. Here they would have to get more than 50% of Americans behind such a move... the other 50% is going to riot and revolt no matter how quietly the gun prohibition is taking place. Most gun owner are not going to stand for contravention of the 2A. If money or children are taken, there will be fighting in the streets, attacks on the halls of government. "They" don't want that. No, they will continue to act incrementally... frog in the pot.

My first thought reading the article was: "Yeah, whatever." I've got my health to worry about. And how to manage bills with my limited income. And getting the leaves in the yard picked up. And giving the dog a bath. And a million other things. Yup, frog in the pot. My point is that we have to fight each infraction, not confiscation, banning of all firearms.

No disrespect to the OP... just wasn't impressed with the premise of the author. IMO it's never going to happen.

Thanks @Angie. An old article, interesting, though. I do believe that we live in an information police state. No matter, as a colleague and I agree, Privacy is an illusion.
Those who keep weapons but never use them will likely be compliant.
I'd wager, preppers will behave differently.
Just because they seize your bank assets, freeze your job, etc, doesn't mean that will enforce compliance.
Take the following scenario that might happen to you, assuming you are an ardent 2A supporter and prepper:
  1. You live in a state where there is no registration law.
  2. You receive a letter, "surrender or be fined."
  3. It's unconstitutional in your opinion, so you ignore. It is also presumed guilt. You may or may not contact your attorney.
    For example, I have transferred multiple firearms (>8) to family members over the years, the equivalent to some member's purported "boating accidents." Here the state is clearly guilty of not having a proper registration tracking mechanism in place.
  4. The enforcement penalty phase begins. Garnish wages, freeze assets.
  5. You lose your job as a consequence and can no longer afford to pay your mortgage.
  6. Companies lose resource assets, i.e. valued employees, and feel the effects of these losses.
  7. Retail experiences lowered sales due to asset seizures.
  8. Meanwhile, you now have an attorney and are fighting it in court.
  9. Unable to pay your mortgage, you default and are now in foreclosure. You become a squatter.
  10. Woe to the LEO or individuals dispatched to remove you and your firearms from your house, which is all an illegal seizure in the first place.

Admittedly, the author said he was trolling people to get them to wake up. There's validity to his intent.

I hate defeatism. Just because a person knows HE will knuckle under, is no excuse for making himself feel better by maintaining that EVERYONE will. I commented there:
--------------
Defeatism just does the enemy's work for him.
1) Not everybody has kids.
2) There is safety in numbers.
3) Gun control already has amazingly low compliance rates.
4) The run on the banks would kill the banking system. So much for the "frozen asset" tactic...
5) Kill a few politicians and media talking heads - where do you think that will leave the gun confiscation?
Two stories of gun confiscation:
Meanwhile, Down at the Gun Confiscation..., A work of fiction by Paul Bonneau
A New Berry Bush for the Garden, by Paul Bonneau

Also, here's an article about noncompliance:
Gun Restrictions Have Always Bred Defiance, Black Markets

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA