JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked this up from the gunboards.com website, while I was waiting for NWFA to come back up. I'm sure glad we were down here for that upgrade!
I'm a .30 Carbine guy. The only one I have currently is a new model Inland Manufacturing. It has been great gun though, and I haven't had so much as a hic-up with it in several hundred rounds. Some day I WILL have GI model though.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the video! As Andy said, carbines are indeed neat and easy to shoot! I am on my third one (wish I had never sold the first two!). I've carried mine during deer season (western blackmail, which so far are under no threat from me, lol!). I've also used the carbine in practical rifle and three gun matches. I can totally appreciate what the GI's liked about them. Several high profile instructors sing their praises (Clint Smith being one). I have read that during WW2 the Germans would press them into service if they came across them. That is backed up by my Grandfather who, when I visited him in Germany, commented that he really liked the carbine (he was an engineer for BMW making raidial aircraft engines during the war).

Carbines have been criticized for poor terminal ballistics. Not sure that is fair, lots of people (and animals) have been shot with higher powered cartridges, and continued to function. Hornaday makes a round (Critical Defence) that addresses the issue quite well.

Rumor has it that there is a substantial number of carbines in South Korea, and at least one serious attempt to re-import them into the US was made (deal was shot down by the Obama administration). Would sure be nice if those carbines made it over here, as the price of GI carbines have gone through the roof.

Good to hear that your Inland is reliable. I have been thinking of getting one of their standard ones, and an "Advisor" , then SBRing the advisor using the GI folding stock.

So many projects, so little money, lol!

Best regards.

WMB

I never found the Carbine to be "under-powered"* ...Nor did my dad who carried one in Korea and survived.

I would guess here that "under powered" , came about from the use of Full Metal Jacket bullets that failed to solve the issue at hand , at times.
Since civilians are not limited to Full Metal Jackets...this may be a non-issue.
Andy
* In Mogadishu , I had a fella shooting at me with a M2 Carbine....that got my attention for sure , in more ways than one.
With that said....I am here...and he is not.
But that is more of a reflection of my marksmanship , than a fault of his Carbine.

Thanks for the video! As Andy said, carbines are indeed neat and easy to shoot! I am on my third one (wish I had never sold the first two!). I've carried mine during deer season (western blackmail, which so far are under no threat from me, lol!). I've also used the carbine in practical rifle and three gun matches. I can totally appreciate what the GI's liked about them. Several high profile instructors sing their praises (Clint Smith being one). I have read that during WW2 the Germans would press them into service if they came across them. That is backed up by my Grandfather who, when I visited him in Germany, commented that he really liked the carbine (he was an engineer for BMW making raidial aircraft engines during the war).

Carbines have been criticized for poor terminal ballistics. Not sure that is fair, lots of people (and animals) have been shot with higher powered cartridges, and continued to function. Hornaday makes a round (Critical Defence) that addresses the issue quite well.

Rumor has it that there is a substantial number of carbines in South Korea, and at least one serious attempt to re-import them into the US was made (deal was shot down by the Obama administration). Would sure be nice if those carbines made it over here, as the price of GI carbines have gone through the roof.

Good to hear that your Inland is reliable. I have been thinking of getting one of their standard ones, and an "Advisor" , then SBRing the advisor using the GI folding stock.

So many projects, so little money, lol!

Best regards.

WMB
I got that Inland after seeing it on the front of the June 2015 Guns and Ammo magazine. If only I'd been into the surplus guns at that time I would have got me an original. :( I'm pretty sure I paid more for that new model that I could have a good mix master from an OAC show. I wasn't even aware there WAS an OAC at that time!

Thanks for sharing this. I wonder which warehouse those giant parts got stashed away. I could almost bet they are on some base.

That world be neat to show at a local gun show.

It's interesting that he mispronounces "carbine" in an army training video. :D

I've had mine since the late '80s, have shot thousand of rounds through it. It's a strong favorite for myself and my kids. I remember reading when I was younger about how pathetically underpowered the .30 carbine round is, how it wouldn't even go through the heavy Chinese overcoats during the Korean War.

Then you hear about the amazing power of the 7.62x25 Tokarev pistol round, and how it's high-velocity bullet will defeat body armor.

What's funny is that the Tokarev round pushes a .30 caliber, 85gr FMJ bullet to, at most, 1500 fps, whereas the carbine pushes a .30 caliber, 110gr FMJ bullet to 2000 fps. Both shoot similar bullets, but the carbine is significantly more powerful. When compared to the 30-06, the carbine is underpowered, but for its intended role it's just fine.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top