JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Deer on public land are becoming harder to take every year. Be prepared to take your rifle for a walk. I do it every year, but it can be a big let down. Elk and bear too. If you want to hunt something that has an easy payoff, start with birds. Small birds up to duck can be found all over the valley. E.E. Wilson has organized hunts that are very popular and any old cheap shotgun will work. Don't need the 3000 dollar over under, bring grandpas beat up remington 870 and start walking. <broken link removed>
Great advice.
If you've done some Skeet/Trap shooting in the past, upland birds and ducks are the "easy payoff".
I started hunting with my dad and brother before I was old enough to legally have a gun. I was the "extra pair of eyes". I thought it was fun just tramping out in the (cold, wet) woods with those guys.
Later, when I was old enough to have a gun, I found deer hunting a bit boring (until I shot one, that is) and always preferred upland bird. Watching a good dog work a field is really something of a wonder to behold.
Some advice from an old hunter (or rather, "old" hunter) is to PICK YOUR SHOTS.
I never understood Skeet. Those are the lowest percentage shots I've ever seen! I've spent a lifetime letting birds in that position pass me by, so I could walk them down and get a second jump on them (or forget about it and contune working the field).
When the pheasant rises up, get the gun up and track it. The pheasant will take a two or three wingbeat pause to straighten out. That's when you take your shot, because he's not moving, he's only rotating.
Of course, that's a "classic" rise. A lot of time, they just rise and straighten out at the top of the rise without stopping (like cresting a hill). Then you've just got to take your shot whenever you're ready, but hit 'em on the rise, because once he's level, he's gone (they're very fast, you know =)).
When you flush a covey of birds, such as Chukar or Quail, pick ONE bird and shoot at that one. NEVER try to "blindly" shoot into the covey, thinking the law of averages is on your side, because its not.
Pick a bird and shoot it or you'll miss every time.
When woods hunting deer, pay attention to how much noise you're making.
If you can't help but make a racket, find a spot where you have a good view and sit down and wait a while (like an hour or so). This will give the animals time to settle down and (possibly) come back your way.
Also, be aware of the terrain. Did you have to use a rope and crampons during your hunt? Well, how ya' gonna get the deer back to the truck if you had to do some mountain climbing to get there?! (deer ain't light, ya know. Even black tails!)
However, the best advice is make friends here. If unionguy can find some forumites that are near him, you guys can always do a meet and greet and maybe plan out a hunt, because the best way to learn is to just get out there and do it. Having someone go along with you who knows what they're doing works all that much better.

DeanMk

Hunting is such a great profession. Some people do hunting as a business. I have seen many people who hunt deer or else and then they sell it for huge profit. But there must be a license to start this kind of business and Govt has imposed strict rules on this business.
<broken link removed>

??? I can't figure out if this is for real or a bot-generated spam. Not from this planet in any case.

I'm looking for any and all advice...I'm a long-time gun owner/target shooter, but I've never been hunting before and would like to enter the sport. What advice would you give on how to get started? Is deer the best way to start? I've read some books and watched some videos, but that is the extent of my knowledge right now. I don't run in circles with other hunters, so I haven't had luck that way. thanks!

One of the things you might consider is to just get a map of the various hunting units, pick one and do some scouting in the off season. Its hike in the woods with a set of binoculars a compass (to find your way back) and a sidearm for protection. Scout the area for deer sign and trails and to get to know the lay of the land. Find a drainage and follow it up and down to get a better understanding of how the water flows up and down the canyons and where the deer seem to make their trails. Learn the way the air currents flow. Up in the morning and down in the evenings, usually.

Many hunters spend a lot of time getting to know the area they intend to hunt before buying a tag and actually hunting. Many also hunt alone. I prefer to always hunt with others since you never know what will happen. Hunters get lost, keys get locked in trucks, trucks get stuck or won't start. Medical emergencies happen, etc. If you choose to hunt alone always let someone know where you will be and when you intend to return.

It is difficult to get accepted into hunting groups. Folks are always cautious about who they want around them with firearms and are very selective who they allow to join their hunt camp. Join a good gun club and ask around to see if anyone needs a hunt partner. Don't be shy you will find lots of folks that are looking for woods backup.

If you are first time going for hunting you must keep several points on mind, try to minimize noise. A deer may stand a long time, If it doesn't see or smell you, and it might continue feeding if it will not get disturb. Also you need to take quick action because dears easily get alert by noise.

Are you interesting in hunting? Make sure some aspects for successful hunting. You should avoid contaminating entire hunting area. If you want to make long hike you should light and breathable clothing, it will reduce sweating. weather forecasting of every hour and wind direction will help you to choose right location.

Hunting seems simple but when you are actually giving advice to someone specially adult person who never hunt, it is very difficult for such type of hunters to learn about hunting as comparing to a person who is hunting from their childhood.

It always amazed me that I would go out way in the middle of the woods, and I would still find people/signs of people. They were clearly not hunting. Make sure you look out for two legged predators while you are out there as well.

Last Edited:
Get a topo map, paper type, of the area you will hunt in and magnetic compass. If you do not know how to use these items. Learn before you wander out in the woods. This is from a former member of Oregon mountian rescue team. It gets tirsome looking for peole who do not know how to navigate in the woods. Especially when you find a body not a live person.
Not much in writing on hunting black tail deer, lots on elk, mule deer and other critters.
Dress for the worst weather for the day, if you are just going out for the day. Check weather forecast.

I wish I lived in the country. I'm still within city limits and these damn deer keep eating my garden, they sleep in my backyard or the neighbors. Last night I went out there and there it was, just sitting on my lawn, not a worry in the world.

I shooshed it away. I checked back 15 min later and it was there again. I'm on the edge of town but not that far out where I can "take care" of the problem. lol
You can hunt/kill an animal that comes into your yard even inside city limit.

ODFW has a lot of intro to hunting courses for small game and large game. Check the website. That would be a great place to start.
Hunter safety class would be a good idea too, and your son can take the class and be your study buddy.

I think starting with small game, like grouse would be good for an intro and good to learn new areas. Easy packing too! Groups like OHA and BHA have some socials that you might be able to pick up a hunting buddy or camp to tag along with.

You can hunt/kill an animal that comes into your yard even inside city limit.

In Oregon it is unlawful to:
"Hunt within corporate limits of any city or town; public park or cemetery; or on any campus or grounds of a public school, college, or university."

You do not need a license on your own property unless you are hunting an animal that requires a tag, in which case you need both.

Even if it was legal to hunt in your city yard...
Just what about a back stop or is the neighbors house good enough.. ? .:eek:
Where is that bullet going to end up if you miss...or have a pass through...?

Now don't get me wrong...I love to hunt...in the proper areas for it.
Andy

...also helps that its a sticky and always at the top of the page...

...however, I digress...

How are we defining "hunting", as it pertains to trekking out in the wilds of your inner city back yard?
If my 5 year-old son is playing in the back yard and a mountain beaver decides to stroll in and starts growling at him, scaring him so bad he's frozen in his tracks, screaming bloody murder, I'm not going to "hunt" the animal down, I'm gonna blow out that door with something in my hand that will dispatch it right there and then and take care of business.
"Hunting". "Killing". Not necessarily the same thing.
...and if I've broken the law, while protecting my son, then we can talk about that later.

Dean

Thanks everyone, this is great stuff. I'm interested for all these reasons: the memories, the meat, and the skill building. Unfortunately, my dad never took us hunting. My oldest boy is 10 and I'm hoping to get a few years of experience so I can take him out in a few.

As for finding someone with experience to go with, I haven't had much luck there. Most guys have their party already set up. So, I have a good friend, who's also a rookie, and we're gonna start going out and see if we can figure this out.

Thanks and keep the advice coming!
Pretty much in the same boat. Came from a non-hunting family in another State so no ties here other than my wife and kids (who want to go hunting).. There is only so much I am getting out of the books, seminars, and videos. Using a guide is not in my budget. Getting meat on the table would really help the bottom end and be healthier too.

I have several questions but will start threads of for them and not derail this one. Thanks for all the great posts - lots of good stuff to know.

Always looking to respectfully learn and make friends.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews