JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Molding is easy. Cut all the long pieces first so you can use them elsewhere after you screw them up. Make sure nobody is home while you work, it could save a marriage. Dont drink. Buy twice as much molding as you think you'll need. Take that ridiculous guard off the chop saw and finally if you can afford it , hire someone.:D

Have only had to do it a few times helping with my kids older homes. Cut the longest pieces first; used the off-cuts to make short test pieces when I wasn't sure. Learned that in old houses, almost nothing is level, plumb or square.

You wrote that you have a compound miter saw, so it should bevel cut too, if needed. I've screwed up a time or two, but that's part of the learning curve. Buy a bit more than you need and go for it.

A couple of little things.

1) keep a pencil at both ends rather than carry one around...or you're bound to forget it multiple times

2) work on 2 pieces at a time. Since I tend to cut pieces a hair long the first time, I have to go back anyway. Thus, I'm always working on a "long" piece and the confirmed cut. Then, the next time at the saw is the confirmed cut of the previous long cut and a long cut of the next piece. Often, my "long" piece was right to start with (good thing I cut it "long").

3) I'm just a homeowner, don't listen to me. Though I have cut 3 houses worth of base and window trim, I still use tons of White Lightning to fill in my gaps.

Don't use intricate profiles. Clean square trim with mitered joints is the current look. I like it personally. Good luck man!

You wrote that you have a compound miter saw, so it should bevel cut too, if needed. I've screwed up a time or two, but that's part of the learning curve. Buy a bit more than you need and go for it.
I've got a nice Dewalt dual compound sliding miter saw. It makes quality cuts, for sure. However the mental arithmatic required for such beautiful cuts is another story. Again, God bless the pros who do this sort of thing without even thinking. :)

Buy extra moulding, there is a learning curve. Cut the shortest pieces first. Remember: if it's too short, cut it again!! Paint it first, before anything, if your walls or whatever aren't perfectly flat ,(never are) get spackle too. Use 1x ripped to the right width mounted to the ceiling as a "nailer".
crown moulding is cool, but a real pita.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top