JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just sent my little .38+P snub off to the maker for a tune-up, probably for 2-3 weeks. I already miss it because it's super easy to conceal. So my next size up pistol (aside from some little .22's) is a standard size 1911, which feels HUGE by comparison. Glad I waited until winter months to for the swap-out so I can wear all my un-tucked flannel shirts and jackets for CCW purposes. Even at 6'1"/210lb, I find that's a lot of pistol to conceal gracefully.

The Ruger SR45 is about an inch too long in the barrel and grip is a bit too long for me to conceal nicely. I have been carrying for several years now but can't get over a fear of printing and long grips love to print on me. I mean, only I can tell but still I hate seeing the grip slightly in a reflection.

I like my SR9C enough, I shoot it well, but I think its time to put her in the range bag. I don't use the thumb safety and also removed the magazine disconnect. ( No Esquires Please) I suppose this is why I didn't consider getting a SR45.

I am 05-07 170 Lbs, short and gutty. Two years ago I was up to 200, now am on my way down to my goal of 160, should be there by June. I wear medium sized shirts and clothing that fit snug on me, I don't wear large clothing to cover the gut.

The Ruger SR45 is about an inch too long in the barrel and grip is a bit too long for me to conceal nicely. I have been carrying for several years now but can't get over a fear of printing and long grips love to print on me. I mean, only I can tell but still I hate seeing the grip slightly in a reflection.

I like my SR9C enough, I shoot it well, but I think its time to put her in the range bag. I don't use the thumb safety and also removed the magazine disconnect. ( No Esquires Please) I suppose this is why I didn't consider getting a SR45.

I am 05-07 170 Lbs, short and gutty. Two years ago I was up to 200, now am on my way down to my goal of 160, should be there by June. I wear medium sized shirts and clothing that fit snug on me, I don't wear large clothing to cover the gut.

Got it, thanx for satisfying my curiosity. Best wishes for your weight loss success!

Just a curiosity, but why the requirement that it be a .45?

Between the 9, 40 and 45 - I shoot the 9 and 45 better. I currently have a SR9C to fill my concealed carry in 9mm. Looking for something to fit the 45 for concealed carry purposes. I didn't see the point of getting another carry 9mm - even without a mag disconnect or thumb safety- so I decided on a 45.

I embraced the Grip Zone! The XD45 is shorter than the SR9C, this thing is smaller than I thought. Bigger than an XD40SC that I had in the past, but barely.

I want to assure everyone that Snap Caps were in these firearms. Ammunition was not in the room. I know there are some keen eyes out there. :)

I want to carry a .45 for my conceal carry pistol.

I am looking for something $600.00 or less with a factory trigger pull of 4.0-6.0 and short take up, I have a requirement of 9 round flush magazine for conceal purposes with a 3.75 inch barrel or shorter. I have small hands, for example a CZ75Compact had too far of a trigger reach for me to fire it accurately but I can shoot a 1911 like I have skill.

What are your suggestions?

I was looking at the XD Mod.2 3.3" .45, price is right but the trigger pull is terrible. The Glock 30 is looking like a better option, its slightly chunkier and longer than the XD but the trigger pull is reported at 5.5 with shorter take up than the XD.

I have a feeling someone else has gone through this same dilemma before myself, I am curious to see if anyone has any suggestions for a .45 conceal carry pistol.
If you wanna carry a .45, the ultimate .45 CC has been back in production for about 3 years now (AFAIK), thanks to High Standard.
The AMT .45 Backup
http://www.highstandard.com/index.php/amt-firearms/amt-45
5 shots, slim profile, easily hidden.
Its small size (despite the "large frame" descriptive at the website) will probably take some getting used to (so grab a box or two of ball ammo and head for the range), but once you get a feel for it, you should be good to go.
Not sure about price and I don't see one listed, so you might have to write to find out, or ask your local retailer.

NOTE: Found some specs >>> http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/amt-45-acp-backup
Not sure how current the price is, but its something to get you in the ballpark anyway.

Dean

Last Edited:
Some size comparo's with the AMT .45 backup.

...vs. 1911...

45-amt.jpg

...vs. Ruger LCP...

AMTBackUpvsRugerLCP-SuperimposedComparison.jpg

...vs. Glock 36...

AMTBackUp45vsGlock36BASICComparisonChartMASTER-1.jpg

...vs. several other small pistols...

AMTBackUp45vsMultipleHandguns-ComparisonChartNo3-1.jpg

Hopefully, this gives the OP a better idea how this gun stacks up, size-wise, against other models.

Dean

Last Edited:
I've had nearly every compact 45 made. The one I enjoyed shooting the most was the Kahr P45. Have an xds now but grips are sharp and long term shooting is not pleasant. To be honest I've went back to a 9. Easier to recover shots, ballistics have improved and simply more enjoyable to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top