JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just sent my little .38+P snub off to the maker for a tune-up, probably for 2-3 weeks. I already miss it because it's super easy to conceal. So my next size up pistol (aside from some little .22's) is a standard size 1911, which feels HUGE by comparison. Glad I waited until winter months to for the swap-out so I can wear all my un-tucked flannel shirts and jackets for CCW purposes. Even at 6'1"/210lb, I find that's a lot of pistol to conceal gracefully.

The Ruger SR45 is about an inch too long in the barrel and grip is a bit too long for me to conceal nicely. I have been carrying for several years now but can't get over a fear of printing and long grips love to print on me. I mean, only I can tell but still I hate seeing the grip slightly in a reflection.

I like my SR9C enough, I shoot it well, but I think its time to put her in the range bag. I don't use the thumb safety and also removed the magazine disconnect. ( No Esquires Please) I suppose this is why I didn't consider getting a SR45.

I am 05-07 170 Lbs, short and gutty. Two years ago I was up to 200, now am on my way down to my goal of 160, should be there by June. I wear medium sized shirts and clothing that fit snug on me, I don't wear large clothing to cover the gut.

The Ruger SR45 is about an inch too long in the barrel and grip is a bit too long for me to conceal nicely. I have been carrying for several years now but can't get over a fear of printing and long grips love to print on me. I mean, only I can tell but still I hate seeing the grip slightly in a reflection.

I like my SR9C enough, I shoot it well, but I think its time to put her in the range bag. I don't use the thumb safety and also removed the magazine disconnect. ( No Esquires Please) I suppose this is why I didn't consider getting a SR45.

I am 05-07 170 Lbs, short and gutty. Two years ago I was up to 200, now am on my way down to my goal of 160, should be there by June. I wear medium sized shirts and clothing that fit snug on me, I don't wear large clothing to cover the gut.

Got it, thanx for satisfying my curiosity. Best wishes for your weight loss success!

Just a curiosity, but why the requirement that it be a .45?

Between the 9, 40 and 45 - I shoot the 9 and 45 better. I currently have a SR9C to fill my concealed carry in 9mm. Looking for something to fit the 45 for concealed carry purposes. I didn't see the point of getting another carry 9mm - even without a mag disconnect or thumb safety- so I decided on a 45.

I embraced the Grip Zone! The XD45 is shorter than the SR9C, this thing is smaller than I thought. Bigger than an XD40SC that I had in the past, but barely.

I want to assure everyone that Snap Caps were in these firearms. Ammunition was not in the room. I know there are some keen eyes out there. :)

I want to carry a .45 for my conceal carry pistol.

I am looking for something $600.00 or less with a factory trigger pull of 4.0-6.0 and short take up, I have a requirement of 9 round flush magazine for conceal purposes with a 3.75 inch barrel or shorter. I have small hands, for example a CZ75Compact had too far of a trigger reach for me to fire it accurately but I can shoot a 1911 like I have skill.

What are your suggestions?

I was looking at the XD Mod.2 3.3" .45, price is right but the trigger pull is terrible. The Glock 30 is looking like a better option, its slightly chunkier and longer than the XD but the trigger pull is reported at 5.5 with shorter take up than the XD.

I have a feeling someone else has gone through this same dilemma before myself, I am curious to see if anyone has any suggestions for a .45 conceal carry pistol.
If you wanna carry a .45, the ultimate .45 CC has been back in production for about 3 years now (AFAIK), thanks to High Standard.
The AMT .45 Backup
http://www.highstandard.com/index.php/amt-firearms/amt-45
5 shots, slim profile, easily hidden.
Its small size (despite the "large frame" descriptive at the website) will probably take some getting used to (so grab a box or two of ball ammo and head for the range), but once you get a feel for it, you should be good to go.
Not sure about price and I don't see one listed, so you might have to write to find out, or ask your local retailer.

NOTE: Found some specs >>> http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/amt-45-acp-backup
Not sure how current the price is, but its something to get you in the ballpark anyway.

Dean

Last Edited:
Some size comparo's with the AMT .45 backup.

...vs. 1911...

45-amt.jpg

...vs. Ruger LCP...

AMTBackUpvsRugerLCP-SuperimposedComparison.jpg

...vs. Glock 36...

AMTBackUp45vsGlock36BASICComparisonChartMASTER-1.jpg

...vs. several other small pistols...

AMTBackUp45vsMultipleHandguns-ComparisonChartNo3-1.jpg

Hopefully, this gives the OP a better idea how this gun stacks up, size-wise, against other models.

Dean

Last Edited:
I've had nearly every compact 45 made. The one I enjoyed shooting the most was the Kahr P45. Have an xds now but grips are sharp and long term shooting is not pleasant. To be honest I've went back to a 9. Easier to recover shots, ballistics have improved and simply more enjoyable to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top