JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to carry a .45 for my conceal carry pistol.

I am looking for something $600.00 or less with a factory trigger pull of 4.0-6.0 and short take up, I have a requirement of 9 round flush magazine for conceal purposes with a 3.75 inch barrel or shorter. I have small hands, for example a CZ75Compact had too far of a trigger reach for me to fire it accurately but I can shoot a 1911 like I have skill.

What are your suggestions?

I was looking at the XD Mod.2 3.3" .45, price is right but the trigger pull is terrible. The Glock 30 is looking like a better option, its slightly chunkier and longer than the XD but the trigger pull is reported at 5.5 with shorter take up than the XD.

I have a feeling someone else has gone through this same dilemma before myself, I am curious to see if anyone has any suggestions for a .45 conceal carry pistol.

If you like the G30, try the G30S. Its a slimmer slide borrowed from the G36 on the G30SF frame for reduced weight. I haven't shot a G30 for a recoil comparison, but I can do pretty well with the 30S. Its a winner in my book. Needs some upgraded sights but that is all personal preference. Generally can be had around $500.

I carry a Star PD, aluminum framed commander sized 1911 clone. Light weight, eats every thing I feed it and shots as good as any of my full sized 1911s. I paid $400 for mine. John Taffin and Gary Reeder both carry Star PDs. Seven round mag, 8 total with one in the pipe, cocked and locked.

I have the star PD as well, just don't have the reliability my Glock does. I think I need new mag springs and mine only does 6+1. I do like it though, especially without the beaver tail safety.

Last Edited:
I carry a Star PD, aluminum framed commander sized 1911 clone. Light weight, eats every thing I feed it and shots as good as any of my full sized 1911s. I paid $400 for mine. John Taffin and Gary Reeder both carry Star PDs. Seven round mag, 8 total with one in the pipe, cocked and locked.
Do they still make those? I've always wanted a Star BKM 9mm but they stopped making those decades ago..

commander sized 1911 clone
Not exactly a 1911 clone. Parts won't interchange.
Boy I would go to as many gun shops as possible to try out the 45s. There seems to be plenty of them around.I had a G36 that was a nice shooter. But I have big hands.
It's hard for someone else to fit you for a gun.Washington is a big state,if you are more specific someone could refer you to a indoor rental range to try some

If you like the G30, try the G30S. Its a slimmer slide borrowed from the G36 on the G30SF frame for reduced weight. I haven't shot a G30 for a recoil comparison, but I can do pretty well with the 30S. Its a winner in my book. Needs some upgraded sights but that is all personal preference. Generally can be had around $500.

This, all the way!

I EDC a G30, if you change your mind and go 9mm a G19 is another great option.

I went though this not too long ago between the star PD and G30S and for me, the Glock was more comfortable to carry, resistant to sweat/finish wear, lighter when loaded, more capacity, and I could improve the sights. They are so close to the same size. See below. Though I admit I do like the star as it's still here ;)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hey OP.I would like to put in a nice word for Ruger's Lightweight Commander. It is in my carry rotation and it is a keeper. IWB or OWB it is comfortable and within your price point.

I remember why I don't often use the forums, I do appreciate peoples input but alas people always seem to disregard details. ;)

For my carry piece I want 9+1 rounds - Not 7+1, not 8+1. I love my full size Colt XSE, but its simply too big for my 5'7" 170 frame short and pudgy. Yes, I know other people this size that carry a full size 1911 - I am glad you found a way to carry this in a reasonable manner.

TL;DR

I currently carry a Ruger SR9C - a double stack but very slim grip in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. I use the flush 10 round magazine and carry the 17 round full SR9 magazine for spare.

My first pistol purchase at 21 was the Springfield XDSC in .40 and I became proficient with it. However, after years of shooting I like how I handle 9X19 or .45ACP - I have much faster follow up shots and target acquisition.

I lived in California my young adult life so never anticipated California would ever open up concealed carry under Bill Lockyer - that AG was horrible. I sold my springfield XD and my HK USPC 9 and picked up my Colt 1991 XSE. (Biggest mistake selling that HK USP Compact, I bought it from a LEO used for $500 - best deal ever and sold it, argh!)

I like modifying and playing with my AR, it almost seems like that half the fun in buying one. Or making a 10/22 a target shooter hitting flys off paper at 50 yards.

However, I don't feel this way about pistols I don't like to modify them unless its sights, refinish or an addition of a light to a rail. I can buy an XD Mod.2 3.3 45 and drop in a new trigger kit for 150 or get Springfield custom trigger job for about the same price. I am looking for a good trigger pull and reset out of the box.

Springfield Mod2 3.3 .45: $465.00 (trigger is about 7lbs stock with about half an inch reset)
Springfield Trigger Job 4.5-5.5 w/reduced reset: $150.00
Total Cost: $615.00

Glock 30 Gen4: $575 (trigger is about 5.5 stock with about a quarter inch reset)

Full frame guns are out for my concealed carry piece.

Compact 1911/1991 frames don't hold the capacity of .45 that I would like, 9+1, so lets move on from those.

The M&P is a good line-up; however the round capacity is 8+1 on their flush magazine and their trigger pull is about 7lbs factory, so this is a pass.

I want to make sure I am not leaving any good options out that fit within my criteria. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top