Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Input on carry .45

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by pietro beretta, Feb 11, 2016.

1. pietro beretta

pietro beretta Spokane, WA Active Member 2016 Volunteer

I want to carry a .45 for my conceal carry pistol.

I am looking for something $600.00 or less with a factory trigger pull of 4.0-6.0 and short take up, I have a requirement of 9 round flush magazine for conceal purposes with a 3.75 inch barrel or shorter. I have small hands, for example a CZ75Compact had too far of a trigger reach for me to fire it accurately but I can shoot a 1911 like I have skill.

What are your suggestions?

I was looking at the XD Mod.2 3.3" .45, price is right but the trigger pull is terrible. The Glock 30 is looking like a better option, its slightly chunkier and longer than the XD but the trigger pull is reported at 5.5 with shorter take up than the XD.

I have a feeling someone else has gone through this same dilemma before myself, I am curious to see if anyone has any suggestions for a .45 conceal carry pistol.

2. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

If you like the G30, try the G30S. Its a slimmer slide borrowed from the G36 on the G30SF frame for reduced weight. I haven't shot a G30 for a recoil comparison, but I can do pretty well with the 30S. Its a winner in my book. Needs some upgraded sights but that is all personal preference. Generally can be had around $500.

3. CapnMidnight

CapnMidnight Carson, WA. Member

I carry a Star PD, aluminum framed commander sized 1911 clone. Light weight, eats every thing I feed it and shots as good as any of my full sized 1911s. I paid $400 for mine. John Taffin and Gary Reeder both carry Star PDs. Seven round mag, 8 total with one in the pipe, cocked and locked.

mjbskwim, B5Ben and Certaindeaf like this.
  4. B5Ben

I have the star PD as well, just don't have the reliability my Glock does. I think I need new mag springs and mine only does 6+1. I do like it though, especially without the beaver tail safety.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  5. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Do they still make those? I've always wanted a Star BKM 9mm but they stopped making those decades ago..

6. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

A 1911 is a good way to go, I go with full size. Just find the length that suits you.

Pops1911 and mjbskwim like this.
  7. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Not exactly a 1911 clone. Parts won't interchange.
    Boy I would go to as many gun shops as possible to try out the 45s. There seems to be plenty of them around.I had a G36 that was a nice shooter. But I have big hands.
    It's hard for someone else to fit you for a gun.Washington is a big state,if you are more specific someone could refer you to a indoor rental range to try some

B5Ben likes this.
  8. mjbskwim

I'm all for a full sized 1911 in 45.Best way to go for that caliber

9. coop44

I carried a eaa witness in 45 for a while, nice 10 shot pistol, but heavy

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

This, all the way!

I EDC a G30, if you change your mind and go 9mm a G19 is another great option.

titsonritz and B5Ben like this.
  11. coop44

Nothing says "I'm in charge" like a 45.pew,pew,pew or BAM BAM BAM!!! You pick.

12. mjbskwim

Well.... maybe a G20 in 10mm with 16 rounds
    But the G21 does command respect with ,what 14 rounds? of 45

13. coop44

Wish I had the dough to shoot a ten, considered building a 1911 in 10

mjbskwim likes this.
  14. mjbskwim

Me too. Sold all my 10s:(

15. B5Ben

I went though this not too long ago between the star PD and G30S and for me, the Glock was more comfortable to carry, resistant to sweat/finish wear, lighter when loaded, more capacity, and I could improve the sights. They are so close to the same size. See below. Though I admit I do like the star as it's still here ;)

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

nammac, Stomper and mjbskwim like this.
  16. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Go to the gun show over the next few days and man handle all the .45's you can find; one will scream at you and if there isn't one, I'd keep an open mind about 9mm.

spookshack, mjbskwim and B5Ben like this.
  17. edison bulb

edison bulb Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Kimber 4" models
    Glock 30 and its variants

18. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

mjbskwim likes this.
  19. Pops1911

Pops1911 Cinebar/Issaquah Well-Known Member

Hey OP.I would like to put in a nice word for Ruger's Lightweight Commander. It is in my carry rotation and it is a keeper. IWB or OWB it is comfortable and within your price point.

orygun, Craig O, ron and 1 other person like this.
  20. pietro beretta

pietro beretta Spokane, WA Active Member 2016 Volunteer

I remember why I don't often use the forums, I do appreciate peoples input but alas people always seem to disregard details. ;)

For my carry piece I want 9+1 rounds - Not 7+1, not 8+1. I love my full size Colt XSE, but its simply too big for my 5'7" 170 frame short and pudgy. Yes, I know other people this size that carry a full size 1911 - I am glad you found a way to carry this in a reasonable manner.

TL;DR

I currently carry a Ruger SR9C - a double stack but very slim grip in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. I use the flush 10 round magazine and carry the 17 round full SR9 magazine for spare.

My first pistol purchase at 21 was the Springfield XDSC in .40 and I became proficient with it. However, after years of shooting I like how I handle 9X19 or .45ACP - I have much faster follow up shots and target acquisition.

I lived in California my young adult life so never anticipated California would ever open up concealed carry under Bill Lockyer - that AG was horrible. I sold my springfield XD and my HK USPC 9 and picked up my Colt 1991 XSE. (Biggest mistake selling that HK USP Compact, I bought it from a LEO used for $500 - best deal ever and sold it, argh!)

I like modifying and playing with my AR, it almost seems like that half the fun in buying one. Or making a 10/22 a target shooter hitting flys off paper at 50 yards.

However, I don't feel this way about pistols I don't like to modify them unless its sights, refinish or an addition of a light to a rail. I can buy an XD Mod.2 3.3 45 and drop in a new trigger kit for 150 or get Springfield custom trigger job for about the same price. I am looking for a good trigger pull and reset out of the box.

Springfield Mod2 3.3 .45: $465.00 (trigger is about 7lbs stock with about half an inch reset)
    Springfield Trigger Job 4.5-5.5 w/reduced reset: $150.00
    Total Cost: $615.00

Glock 30 Gen4: $575 (trigger is about 5.5 stock with about a quarter inch reset)

Full frame guns are out for my concealed carry piece.

Compact 1911/1991 frames don't hold the capacity of .45 that I would like, 9+1, so lets move on from those.

The M&P is a good line-up; however the round capacity is 8+1 on their flush magazine and their trigger pull is about 7lbs factory, so this is a pass.

I want to make sure I am not leaving any good options out that fit within my criteria. :)