JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Velsey re-blued my grandfather's 30-30, it's worth next to nothing on the open market, I would not take Five Grand for it.

Check Gunbroker for similar guns and this is IMPORTANT, only guns firearms with actual bids will help narrow down the price range.

Too many people think that what sellers are "asking" is what the value is.
That is simply dumb.

Sounded to me like the company he worked for hired a couple people to "help" (read that "Gaslight") the employees realise that all the crappy things about the job were really just a few trouble makers lying and really they should all be so lucky to work for such a great company

Remember kids: HR is there to protect the company, NOT you
Had the same impression too.

I bought one in a little nicer shape than yours with old Lyman peep sight installed from same era ( same wear patina) 1millon 3 hundred thousand serial number (1943-1944) for $425 15 years ago at a gunshow. Been thinking about selling but after reading this thread I might just keep it lol
To my knowledge Winchester ceased manufacturing of the M94 in 1943-44 due to their war effort.

This site has, what must be, any information you could ever want on Winchester rifles from the past.
You can get a lot more information on Winchester lever guns at The Winchester Collectors Forum.
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/ "Bert H" is THE guy.

The above dates you at 1960. If you pore through the website you can find the page where Bert H is looking up what months people's guns were made. you can either ask him or just read until you have figured out the month.

Over the years Winchester did some jiggy things with serial numbers. But I "Think", most of that was slightly before, to just after, WWII. And as mentioned above, if your into guns it would be a shame to sell that off.
There is dating information out there that is wrong. As far as I know the sites above are correct.

To my knowledge Winchester ceased manufacturing of the M94 in 1943-44 due to their war effort....There is dating information out there that is wrong. As far as I know the sites above are correct.
I know there was a number of Winchester 94's that went to Canada during the war. Vancouver Island and British Columbia, to be exact, as part of an arming of a militia known as The Pacific Coast Militia Rangers.
Their job was to protect the mainland, on the occassion of a Japanese invasion.
A fe years back, I found out the hard way about the inaccurate dating guides that littered the internet.
Apparently there was a guide made up in the 1960's where it turns out a lot of guesswork was involved, and yet, over the years, the guide's information was taken as "ver batem", with little, if any, referencing of actual Winchester production records.
At one time, a lot of Winchester dating guides referenced that guide.
IF you find a guide, make sure it references to the official Winchester production records, which is now housed at the William F. Cody museum (last I heard, anyway) in Cody Wyoming.

Several years ago I sold a "Post war pre-'64" carbine to a nephew in Montana. It was chambered in 25-35, and was absolutely pristine. He forked over a Grand, and worth every penny. The carbine was made in 1949, and had a plain steel checkered butt plate. Winchester had done away with the roll stamping on the tang, as well as the threaded holes for tang sights. Only the serial number was on the action, the barrel being stamped Winchester. After WWII Winchester was just recovering from war production, and was putting together rifles from parts on hand from before the war.

The figured wood on the fore end is nice, but at first glance, the left side of the receiver looks like some one has tried to eliminate some pitting. I'd just hold on to it if I were you, since it was your Grandfathers.

Several years ago I sold a "Post war pre-'64" carbine to a nephew in Montana. It was chambered in 25-35, and was absolutely pristine. He forked over a Grand, and worth every penny. The carbine was made in 1949, and had a plain steel checkered butt plate. Winchester had done away with the roll stamping on the tang, as well as the threaded holes for tang sights. Only the serial number was on the action, the barrel being stamped Winchester. After WWII Winchester was just recovering from war production, and was putting together rifles from parts on hand from before the war.

The figured wood on the fore end is nice, but at first glance, the left side of the receiver looks like some one has tried to eliminate some pitting. I'd just hold on to it if I were you, since it was your Grandfathers.
All features (and absences of such) you describe on your carbine are extant on my .25-35 as well, ALSO built in 1949. :)

Inheriting a model 94 is a going trend these days! There were so many made that generations to follow will be acquiring them as boomers take their final dirt naps.

It should be interesting in 40-50 years when all the (insert name of that generation) receive AR15s as heirlooms as all the millennials start taking their dirt naps. If they are lucky, they will also get that Win 94 too!

Inheriting a model 94 is a going trend these days! There were so many made that generations to follow will be acquiring them as boomers take their final dirt naps.

It should be interesting in 40-50 years when all the (insert name of that generation) receive AR15s as heirlooms as all the millennials start taking their dirt naps. If they are lucky, they will also get that Win 94 too!
It has occurred to me that one focus of mine (not by design) on collecting American sporting guns of the early 20th century may be a direct parallel to my Dad's focus on old Colt's and Winchesters from the 1800's. Just about the same point spread in regard to our respective birth years.

I think American sporting rifle design and manufacture came to its pinnacle in the 40's-60's, and I continue to marvel at the work that went into those guns.

Howdy,
I inherited this rifle about a year ago when my grandfather passed but I don't have much knowledge on lever action rifles. Was hoping someone could tell me roughly what year it could be from. The only thing I found from my own research is that it is pre-1964. Also, if I were to sell it what would a fair asking price be?
Thanks in advance for any info someone can bestow upon me.

View attachment 1450759 View attachment 1450760 View attachment 1450761 View attachment 1450762
Regardless of the rifle's history, it is a valuable keepsake. I keep my eye out for a good buy on a '94 because there is a distinct hole in my collection where a larger caliber lever gun should be. I see '94's in decent condition going for generally $800-$1200 depending on a lot of different factors. Yours looks to be in decent condition. The forestock wood is much nicer than the buttstock wood, and I notice that the buttstock wood appears to have a chip out of it. The other obvious issue is the surface rust/pitting that someone appears to have cleaned up with steel wool. Both of those issues can be fixed given enough time and money. New reproduction wood is available:

If you want to clean up and refinish the metal, find an expert rifle maker in your area who understands restoration, not just re-bluing. Pitting that's not too deep can be removed with judicious use of a draw file, but only an expert should attempt that operation.

That said, the decision to leave the rifle as is or to restore it depends a lot on its current condition and value. People often destroy the value of old firearms by refinishing them. I have a restored Remington rolling block #1 rifle made in 1873 that belonged to my great grandfather. It was in trash condition when I got it, so it was easy to decide to restore it. $3K and 18 months later it was in new condition and it will never leave my family.

Whatever you decide to do, learn from my experience. I never sold a firearm that I didn't later regret it (except for a Marlin Model 60, of course).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top