JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy,
I inherited this rifle about a year ago when my grandfather passed but I don't have much knowledge on lever action rifles. Was hoping someone could tell me roughly what year it could be from. The only thing I found from my own research is that it is pre-1964. Also, if I were to sell it what would a fair asking price be?
Thanks in advance for any info someone can bestow upon me.

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 11.40.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 11.40.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 11.40.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 11.40.47 PM.png

Words to the wise.....

"You don't sell an heirloom."

Aloha, Mark

PS.......BUT, But, but.....IF......you absolutely had to sell. Well, I can remember seeing (way back when) them rifles going for about $99. So then, I'll give you back that amount. :D

Nice rifle ...they don't make 'em like that anymore.
As in with that amount of attention to detail and craftsmanship.

I would suggest that you take a long moment here before selling.
At one time Pre-64 Winchester Model 94's were fairly common at gun shows and the like...and not too pricey.
The above can't be said now.

And with that said...
Some folks ask a lot for these 94's...not sure just how many actually sell.
There can be a world of difference between what the asking price is / what it something is supposed to be worth...
And what it will sell for.

Andy

Howdy,
I inherited this rifle about a year ago when my grandfather passed but I don't have much knowledge on lever action rifles. Was hoping someone could tell me roughly what year it could be from. The only thing I found from my own research is that it is pre-1964. Also, if I were to sell it what would a fair asking price be?
Thanks in advance for any info someone can bestow upon me.

View attachment 1450759 View attachment 1450760 View attachment 1450761 View attachment 1450762

You can get a lot more information on Winchester lever guns at The Winchester Collectors Forum.
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/ "Bert H" is THE guy.

The above dates you at 1960. If you pore through the website you can find the page where Bert H is looking up what months people's guns were made. you can either ask him or just read until you have figured out the month.

Over the years Winchester did some jiggy things with serial numbers. But I "Think", most of that was slightly before, to just after, WWII. And as mentioned above, if your into guns it would be a shame to sell that off.

Last Edited:
@LeviR I had a Winchester 94 that I sold and I regret it sometimes. There's no way I could buy it back for what I sold it. But I am also sentimental about the past and those that came before me. Some people are not. My mother in law recently divvied up boxes of heirlooms and photographs among her kids and we wound up with most of them. My wife's siblings have no interest or attachment to "old things", and they are perfectly happy that way.

Wow, thank you everyone for the replies. Didn't expect to get so many responses in only a few hours! I appreciate it greatly.

I totally understand everyones point about not selling a family heirloom. This firearm came from my dads dad, who was pretty abusive and in all honestly not a great person, so there isn't much sentimental value to it. But the gun is certainly cool, especially compared to the one other lever-action I own (Henry .410), the construction of it feels totally different.

Nice wood grain on the forearm.

If you need any takedown information, there are many good articles and videos online - just don't be or become a bubba :)
I had to look up that word haha. No worries about that. I got mad at my friend and all he did was ad a "tactical" stock to a brand new Ruger 10/22.

Wow, thank you everyone for the replies. Didn't expect to get so many responses in only a few hours! I appreciate it greatly.

I totally understand everyones point about not selling a family heirloom. This firearm came from my dads dad, who was pretty abusive and in all honestly not a great person, so there isn't much sentimental value to it. But the gun is certainly cool, especially compared to the one other lever-action I own (Henry .410), the construction of it feels totally different.
I have a firearm that I sold to and than bought back from a guy just before we found out he would be spending 5 well deserved years in the Fen Pen for 'Adult images of non adult persons" I am now selling it to a friend for his daughter to use as a mountain lion / home defense rifle and when I advised him of the pedigree he said "Meh, Hoppes No 9 will whipe all that stank clean off"

I would suggest that you keep this rifle...and make your own memories with it.
As I said earlier they don't make 'em like this any more...and they are not as common as they used to be.

.30-30 makes for a excellent hunting and self-defense cartridge.
The Pre-64 Winchester 94 is an iconic firearm , which deserves use and respect for what it is.
Andy

Win 94 dittos from 1949:

Win 94 Collage.jpg

Now that you have taken the "anti-Bubba Oath", there are many online resources for you on a Winchester 1894 or Winchester 94. Here is a parts schematic for you:

win-94-schematic (1).jpeg

There are many YouTube videos and other Internet articles regarding take down and disassembly and things like Homstead manuals:

However, in most cases, you will not need to do complete take downs for necessary cleaning.

One other issue that many Bubbas are guilty of is using the wrong type of screw driver to remove screws and "buggering" the up the screw heads. This might help if needed:

Have fun making new memories with your inheritance OP!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top