JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
22 years after my uncle died, his Model 94 mysteriously arrived at my house. At that time, my aunt had also just died and uncle's family was swooping in to grab what they could. My mom and my other aunt had faster fingers, I guess. It is rather rustic, having taken innumerable deer in Eastern Washington, had been re-barrelled, but was made in 1898 - so it's a keeper.

'94 pic.png '94 Serial number.png

Technical observation. With the 1959 (or 1960 "Polish Room" date as provided by Bert Hartman), I looked again, and sure enough, this rifle is of manufacture date where it exhibits factory drilled holes in the left rear of the receiver (for a receiver sight, of course).

I think they started this in 1958.

VERY desirable feature for a hunter, and increases the potential (accuracy-wise) of these guns substantially.

1689026751448.png
Winchester Model 94 1958 Manufacture. With Redfield receiver sight and Latigo sling, this is a capable 200yd deer rifle. Note the added sight radius gained from the buckhorn sight's dovetail (now filled with a blank).

Last Edited:
While I understand the the above posts and "bids" are tongue in cheek....
Lets not forget that auction type sales are against NWFA rules....:)
Andy
Don't worry, after reading some of the posts in here and spending about 2 hours learning about the gun I've decided to hold onto it. It will look good mounted above my fireplace.

Win 94 dittos from 1949:

View attachment 1450914

Now that you have taken the "anti-Bubba Oath", there are many online resources for you on a Winchester 1894 or Winchester 94. Here is a parts schematic for you:

View attachment 1450915

There are many YouTube videos and other Internet articles regarding take down and disassembly and things like Homstead manuals:

However, in most cases, you will not need to do complete take downs for necessary cleaning.

One other issue that many Bubbas are guilty of is using the wrong type of screw driver to remove screws and "buggering" the up the screw heads. This might help if needed:

Have fun making new memories with your inheritance OP!
Thank you! I appreciate the resources. I have decided to hold onto the gun. I'm gonna clean her and take it out to shoot. Probably hasn't been fired in 30-40 years.

While I understand the the above posts and "bids" are tongue in cheek....
Lets not forget that auction type sales are against NWFA rules....:)
Andy
My apologies to the "dean", all the residents of Pacific Northwest Region of Middle Earth, the tomato purchaser in Vancouver and the thread originating heir. BTW there is no emoticon for tongue in cheek - only tongue out of check :p, which is/maybe rude :rolleyes:

I bought one in a little nicer shape than yours with old Lyman peep sight installed from same era ( same wear patina) 1millon 3 hundred thousand serial number (1943-1944) for $425 15 years ago at a gunshow. Been thinking about selling but after reading this thread I might just keep it lol

Don't worry, after reading some of the posts in here and spending about 2 hours learning about the gun I've decided to hold onto it. It will look good mounted above my fireplace.
Does WA have a safe storage law? Something to consider these days before doing something like that.

This one looks like "just another nice 94".
1689045354299.png
And that's why I own it. I watched a dealer at the "Crappy Portland Show" buy it from a young man, then the dealer began talking to another customer and put the gun on his rack. I improved my geographical location and waited patiently until I could get his attention and ask permission to look at it.

"Sure! Just took that in. Pretty nice old thirty-thirty." I gave it the once over, asked him what he was asking for it (on a Model 94, if he goes for "The Blue Book", you know he's a shyster), and he blurted out, "four hundred." This was when the going rate for a nice 94 (pre-64) WAS four hundred. Retail dealer price. I kept my calm, and counted out four hundred dollars, shook hands and never hit a gunshow exit door with more purpose.

And this is why:
1689045664007.png

View attachment 1451244
And that's why I own it. I watched a dealer at the "Crappy Portland Show" buy it from a young man, then the dealer began talking to another customer and put the gun on his rack. I improved my geographical location and waited patiently until I could get his attention and ask permission to look at it.

"Sure! Just took that in. Pretty nice old thirty-thirty." I gave it the once over, asked him what he was asking for it (on a Model 94, if he goes for "The Blue Book", you know he's a shyster), and he blurted out, "four hundred." This was when the going rate for a nice 94 (pre-64) WAS four hundred. Retail dealer price. I kept my calm, and counted out four hundred dollars, shook hands and never hit a gunshow exit door with more purpose.

And this is why:
View attachment 1451247
:eek:

:s0069::s0069::s0069::s0069::s0069::s0069:

View attachment 1451244

And this is why:
View attachment 1451247
Thats an awesome story and gun. You always have the best gun stories.

Despite the sordid history Im glad the OP decided to keep the gun. Turn the gun into something positive and pass it down. The gun is a piece of history in itself and cant be replaced.

Does WA have a safe storage law? Something to consider these days before doing something like that.
Indeed, safe storage "laws" be damned. I won't hang up anything I would cry over if it were stolen. That amounts to an old kinda ratty Spanish Mauser, and a seriously ratty old 12 ga single that I only trust with black powder. More power to em, heh. I suppose one could remove the firing pins and render them inert and very frustrating to thieves.

Last Edited:
22 years after my uncle died, his Model 94 mysteriously arrived at my house. At that time, my aunt had also just died and uncle's family was swooping in to grab what they could. My mom and my other aunt had faster fingers, I guess. It is rather rustic, having taken innumerable deer in Eastern Washington, had been re-barrelled, but was made in 1898 - so it's a keeper.

View attachment 1451053 View attachment 1451054
Sweet rifle Sledge, but.....SO CLOSE!
I would've stood at the end of the assembly line and waited another 22 guns.
...makes ya' wonder where that one's at now.

As for the OP's question, I bought mine for $90 and sold it for $200. Possibly made in 1975, but I could've been using the wrong dating guide.

Last Edited:
Thats an awesome story and gun. You always have the best gun stories.
Stories are what it's all about. How can one really share them completely without stories? Perhaps this is why "new", "black", "plastic" appeals to me so much less. Far fewer stories.

At my dysfunctional workplace they brought in a "self-help" team of a couple with psychology backgrounds, and one strategy was discounting "stories" told by coworkers about their negative experiences. Stories were attempted to be presented in a derogatory light as contributing to the dysfunction, nearly redefining the word as entirely negative and the accounts given by employees as less than genuine.

With some background in Anthropology, I pointed out to the erudite team that in the human race, stories have been a central (perhaps THE central) feature of humanity that has kept people alive, and in survival situations precisely what defines us apart from other creatures, the basis for religion and fabric of community. Then made a good case for our workplace being a survival situation where we depended on others' experiences to continue to exist.

When the first Femur was used as a club to vanquish an enemy or prey, you can bet the guttural grunts, moans and exclamations describing the event (a ''story about a gun") were repeated and invaluable (and to this very day crucial) to our being here.:cool:

Last Edited:
Stories are what it's all about. How can one really share them completely without stories? Perhaps this is why "new", "black", "plastic" appeals to me so much less. Far fewer stories.

At my dysfunctional workplace they brought in a "self-help" team of a couple with psychology backgrounds, and one strategy was discounting "stories" told by coworkers about their negative experiences. Stories were attempted to be presented in a derogatory light as contributing to the dysfunction, nearly redefining the word as entirely negative and the accounts given by employees as less than genuine.

With some background in Anthropology, I pointed out to the erudite team that in the human race, stories have been a central (perhaps THE central) feature of humanity that has kept people alive, and in survival situations precisely what defines us apart from other creatures, the basis for religion and fabric of community. Then made a good case for our workplace being a survival situation where we depended on others' experiences to continue to exist.

When the first Femur was used as a club to vanquish an enemy or prey, you can bet the guttural grunts, moans and exclamations describing the event (a ''story about a gun") were repeated and invaluable (and to this very day crucial) to our being here.:cool:
So essentially stories, negative memories, should be ignored and not learned from? Seems like they were saying any stories of self reliance should be replaced with stories of group reliance.

If I inherited an heirloom with a sordid history it would be my chance to use it for good. Teach a kid to shoot or hunt and let the rifle shine like it was supposed to.

So essentially stories, negative memories, should be ignored and not learned from? Seems like they were saying any stories of self reliance should be replaced with stories of group reliance.

If I inherited an heirloom with a sordid history it would be my chance to use it for good. Teach a kid to shoot or hunt and let the rifle shine like it was supposed to.
Sounded to me like the company he worked for hired a couple people to "help" (read that "Gaslight") the employees realise that all the crappy things about the job were really just a few trouble makers lying and really they should all be so lucky to work for such a great company

Remember kids: HR is there to protect the company, NOT you

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads