JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good job .
Hey that AR looks familiar. 665174-15644ec59b0666499383894acc692ecc.jpg or at least some of the parts lol

I'm new to all this, is there anywhere that someone can recommend that I can shoot my gun and target practice in yamhill county?
Hi pebbles,

If you are looking for public land places to shoot...

I was out in Yamhill county about 3 weekends ago on BLM land and didn't find much for good places to shoot mostly because of a lack of backstops, however, they are out there (I stayed mostly on the road around the Reservoir). You may have to invest a day of fun exploring to find a good spot. This place, on the google maps link below, looks good on the map but I haven't been there. We were on a cleanup mission and took a left turn, instead of a right, and didn't get to see this place. From the map link, it looks like it has a good earth backstop and should be legal to shoot there.

If you care to meet a great couple who knows a lot of shooting places, not too far from your area, perhaps contact Craig and Tracy, ( @Rem700..300 ), and I'm sure they would invite you to a Show-n-Tell of good places just a little South of you.

Another option is to send me a PM and I can put you in touch with an OSP Fish & Game officer who knows that area well and highly supports recreational target shooting. He is also a member of the OHA, Oregon Hunters Association-Yamhill Chapter. He knows this area real well and is the one who organized our recent cleanup. I'm sure he can send you in the right direction.

Here's the link to that pit I suspect would be a good one to check out...
45°17'47.8"N 123°25'25.5"W
GPS: 45°17'47.8"N 123°25'25.5"W

If you'd like more info on target shooting on public lands, I encourage you to visit our website: Trash No Land .org . You'll find all you need to know about shooting on public lands.

Welcome to the forum! Keep tabs on this thread, by clicking the 'Watch' button above, to stay informed of happenings, news and events that Trash No Land is doing. Enjoy this forum! It's awesome!

Bill

Hi Pebbles, We don't know of any areas around McMinnville or Yamhill county. The Gooseneck area West of Salem about 20 miles is the only one that I know of. The best possibilities are the ones Cogs mentioned. Welcome to the site.

I'm starting a Private Facebook group called: "Target Shooting on Public Lands, Group Chat". A place where shooters, from all over the NW, can post and comment about their neck of the woods and what's going on there. I think it will give us a good perspective of public land target shooting throughout Oregon and Washington. It will be a good place to coordinate group and individual efforts to do some good in various forests.

It's not to take away from NWFA because not all people use FB and my little group will never come close to what we have here. But it's a closed group where we can chat openly about concerns, good times, places to shoot, events we should do and pro-active actions we could take as a non-profit organization group.

If you have a FB account and would like to join, I'd love to have you there. We really need to diligently work to save our places to shoot and work to get shooting improvements done all over OR & WA.

There's only a couple of us on there right now, because I just started it and haven't promoted it yet. As it grows, it will get better and better. I'm also sending invitations to all our Trash No Land members. We should start growing this chat group soon.

Here's the page: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Bill

Weekend stewardship reports...

Wolf Creek Rd gets replacement signs: To Shoot or Not To Shoot? Someone please give me a sign!

Shooting lanes look awesome! Thanks users! Special Shooting Lanes Are Well Cared For!

Darrington Pit got a random cleanup! A Snohomish County shooting pit gets an unexpected cleanup!
(This cleanup was prompted and done by @HighlandLofts + 5 others).

Send me your report of a random cleanup while shooting! I forward it to the managing forest agency and post it to our social media so people can see responsible gun owners in action.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Bill

Great write ups Bill! To all involved, Thank You. It helps change the public perception of target shooting, which is good for all of us. There will always be that certain percentage that can't be reached, but the more people helping and talking about getting things cleaned up is hopefully contagious. It will keep lands open for everyone.

Bill, since I'm such a tightwad I am saving $$$ by recycling most of the materials we picked up nd much of it will burn. I wear my respirator and two pair of gloves, one of which is sharp sticking proof for glass.
Each trash or recycle day I will get rid of minimum two bags. I can't afford to be paying to dump this crap and I do what I have to do.
Has anybody noticed it's 90° out and in the shade it is tolerable to work?
And if you'll notice in the background this is what makes it all mo better, It's not like I have anything better to do. Caveman smart.:D:p:D:p

Thanks for your stewardship and everything you do for the TNL Org!!!!

27547DB1-B896-4494-AFCA-6DBBCE830318.jpeg

Last Edited:
We spent most of the morning in the Shellburg Falls area out by Mehama cleaning up shooting areas. Mainly BLM land that borders the Santiam State Forest. It was a great morning in the woods. Some wildlife, people practicing archery, a couple Jeeps 4wheeling along with some mountian bikers.
Picked up the first landing which by some standards wasn't horrible. 2nd landing was a lot worse. The gentleman practicing with his bow stopped to help. Filled a few big bags. Great guy. About that time the Jeep people came by and asked if we had seen the lower road. We said that we were warned about a transient camp and avoid it. He said they were gone but there was about 15 big trash bags left. We said we would head done there next. For a few minutes I thought they took off after they told us about it. But they showed up and helped load everything. Talked with them a bit about Trash No Land and other subjects. Really would like to commend them for coming back. They were leaving but came back to help because he really liked what we were doing and thought it was neat pulling the trailer. He said he is going to start doing the same in places.
With the cleaning done and trailer full we decided to find the falls which we failed to do the first time. Got lucky and the gate was open. 2.5 miles down a logging road and a 1/2 mile hike and we found the falls. Also want to Thank the Bureau of Land management for being able to dump in their dumpsters at a campground and the 2 big boxes of trash bags. IMG_28961.jpg IMG_28351.jpg IMG_28411.jpg IMG_28421.jpg IMG_28461.jpg IMG_28451.jpg IMG_28551.jpg IMG_28481.jpg IMG_28941.jpg IMG_28531.jpg IMG_28721.jpg IMG_28631.jpg IMG_28611.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top