JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Rem700..300 , nice work. Was a great day to be in the woods. I took some family shooting up in the Burn this morning. Picked up a few bags of junk when we were done. Was a pretty busy day up there. Also had the new forest warden drop by making sure we were legal.

Favorite fun pic...

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 16.jpg

Favorite Scenery pic... From @Rem700..300 and Tracy)

8-8-2020 Shellburg Falls 10.jpg

It is interesting that this article was posted in the Oregonian today about Who is Trashing the Columbia Gorge? While it is an opinion piece and doesnt mention firearms, it does state in my mind some of what is going on at shooting areas and just outdoor areas in general. I won't dive off into that conversation here on this forum.
Just my 2cents worth.

It is interesting that this article was posted in the Oregonian today about Who is Trashing the Columbia Gorge? While it is an opinion piece and doesnt mention firearms, it does state in my mind some of what is going on at shooting areas and just outdoor areas in general. I won't dive off into that conversation here on this forum.
Just my 2cents worth.
Yeah, boy howdy! Ain't it the truth! I can't believe the volume of trash happening on our public lands! It's freakin weird. I just don't know what has happened to the decency of our general public now-a-days.

I monitor a lot of forest agency social media accounts and see them posting daily about the trash problem in the forests. It's really bad! I hope our shooting community plays no part in that. I really hope we will be an example of responsible recreation as we show our stewardship by keeping our shooting places in good, clean condition.

The good news, from my perspective, is that I haven't seen forest agencies posting and complaining about the trash at shooting sites. Most all the posts I've seen are about dispersed camp sites, camp grounds and general dumping locations. Certainly, shooting places have seen an increase in trash left behind, however, it seems to be less of a concern compared to the volume that is happening elsewhere.

So, in my opinion, we should shine like Knights in Shining Armour and clean up our shooting places to show how awesome gun owners really are. It really helps, to reach across the isle, when we also clean up non-shooting places but make it known it was shooters who did it!

As for me, I won't put up with this kind of *rap! I'll reluctantly clean it up, but when I do, I'll make it known that it was a responsible gun owning target shooter who did it!

Who would I call to find out if Oregon lands are closed to target shooting due to fire danger? Thinking of going this week but don't want to venture all the way out just to turn around
You can call the Oregon Dept of Forestry, Forest Grove office and ask the receptionist. If he/she doesn't know, they can put you in contact with who does.

Otherwise, you may want to sign up for the Tillamook SF Blog and get emails on their updates. Here's a link to their target shooting blog section: Target Shooting

Here's the kind of support we get from forest agencies when we communicate about our efforts to clean up and contribute to the shooting sports.

Emails from WA Dept of Nat Resources about our "Target Shooter Info Center" booth this last Saturday Aug 15th, 2020.

Officer Jason Bodine:
"Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind words. It's folks like yourself that make the real difference out there. I can't thank you enough for spending time educating the public as to the importance of safe, responsible target shooting. I am confident that even though we face challenges managing target shooting, people like you will be a big part of the solution.

I really believe that educating folks is probably the most important thing we can do. The large majority of target shooters are great people and want to do things right. We just have to keep the information flowing and reiterate the importance of following rules and considering safety before every trigger pull.

On another note, I would love to see you up this way again when things open back up. I really think it would help tremendously. Having this information coming from folks that are target shooters themselves, has a bigger impact at times than having an officer explaining things. Not everyone, but some folks see it as we are just trying to tell them what to do or are picking on them. As you know, that is not the case, but not everyone understands that.

I would also like to offer to come out and speak anytime you think it would be beneficial. Keep asking folks for ideas to some of the issues such as littering, designated areas vs target shooting training - target shooting card/license, closure of areas with heavy traffic, shooting areas defined by boundaries similar to GMU's and reflected on maps.

Anyway, you are the asset to not only DNR, but to the target shooters out there that want to be part of the solution. Thank you for what you do and I look forward to chatting with you again.

Sergeant Jason Bodine
Washington State
Natural Resources (DNR) POLICE"

Forester Kevin Olson, WA DNR:
"Bill

It was a pleasure meeting you guys on Saturday. I'm sorry that I had to be the bearer of bad news when we met. I'm glad that you guys were able to stay and still deliver your important message to shooters even if they weren't able to shoot that day. I also recreationally shoot and hunt and we need more people like you guys to spread the word about responsible shooting on all lands especially state lands. Shooting sports are and always have been scrutinized by non shooters and I feel that educating shooters and non shooters alike on responsible shooting practices is a key factor in keeping our form of recreation alive and well. Next time you plan on visiting, let me know so we don't have any more surprises and we could also form a stronger bond between DNR and yourselves. Thanks

Kevin Olson "

Statewide Recreation Manager, Leah Dobey:
"Hi Bill,

I hope you've been well and are staying safe this summer.

I was out of the office for a few days, and came back to the statewide target shooting ban due to fire danger! I would have liked to reach out to TNL and a couple other groups to prior to the implementation to describe the decision and to share the news, but as you are well aware, this move happened quickly. I read your blog post and want to thank you for 1) your efforts on target shooting education and the booth that you and WAGuns.org set up in Capital Forest, and 2) for staying even after you learned about the closure. It sounds like you delivered several messages on Saturday and I am grateful for your commitment to the cause! I know that users left the forest with a more positive outlook after interacting with your groups, rather than just seeing a "no shooting" sign on our gate.

Thanks again, and please pass this on to your contact at WAGuns.org, as well.

Sincerely,

Leah Dobey

Statewide Recreation Manager"

This is why I correspond with our forest with our forest management agencies. The more we communicate with them, the more they are likely to keep our good places open for target shooting!

Bill

Here's the kind of support we get from forest agencies when we communicate about our efforts to clean up and contribute to the shooting sports.

Emails from WA Dept of Nat Resources about our "Target Shooter Info Center" booth this last Saturday Aug 15th, 2020.

Officer Jason Bodine:
"Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind words. It's folks like yourself that make the real difference out there. I can't thank you enough for spending time educating the public as to the importance of safe, responsible target shooting. I am confident that even though we face challenges managing target shooting, people like you will be a big part of the solution.

I really believe that educating folks is probably the most important thing we can do. The large majority of target shooters are great people and want to do things right. We just have to keep the information flowing and reiterate the importance of following rules and considering safety before every trigger pull.

On another note, I would love to see you up this way again when things open back up. I really think it would help tremendously. Having this information coming from folks that are target shooters themselves, has a bigger impact at times than having an officer explaining things. Not everyone, but some folks see it as we are just trying to tell them what to do or are picking on them. As you know, that is not the case, but not everyone understands that.

I would also like to offer to come out and speak anytime you think it would be beneficial. Keep asking folks for ideas to some of the issues such as littering, designated areas vs target shooting training - target shooting card/license, closure of areas with heavy traffic, shooting areas defined by boundaries similar to GMU's and reflected on maps.

Anyway, you are the asset to not only DNR, but to the target shooters out there that want to be part of the solution. Thank you for what you do and I look forward to chatting with you again.

Sergeant Jason Bodine
Washington State
Natural Resources (DNR) POLICE"

Forester Kevin Olson, WA DNR:
"Bill

It was a pleasure meeting you guys on Saturday. I'm sorry that I had to be the bearer of bad news when we met. I'm glad that you guys were able to stay and still deliver your important message to shooters even if they weren't able to shoot that day. I also recreationally shoot and hunt and we need more people like you guys to spread the word about responsible shooting on all lands especially state lands. Shooting sports are and always have been scrutinized by non shooters and I feel that educating shooters and non shooters alike on responsible shooting practices is a key factor in keeping our form of recreation alive and well. Next time you plan on visiting, let me know so we don't have any more surprises and we could also form a stronger bond between DNR and yourselves. Thanks

Kevin Olson "

Statewide Recreation Manager, Leah Dobey:
"Hi Bill,

I hope you've been well and are staying safe this summer.

I was out of the office for a few days, and came back to the statewide target shooting ban due to fire danger! I would have liked to reach out to TNL and a couple other groups to prior to the implementation to describe the decision and to share the news, but as you are well aware, this move happened quickly. I read your blog post and want to thank you for 1) your efforts on target shooting education and the booth that you and WAGuns.org set up in Capital Forest, and 2) for staying even after you learned about the closure. It sounds like you delivered several messages on Saturday and I am grateful for your commitment to the cause! I know that users left the forest with a more positive outlook after interacting with your groups, rather than just seeing a "no shooting" sign on our gate.

Thanks again, and please pass this on to your contact at WAGuns.org, as well.

Sincerely,

Leah Dobey

Statewide Recreation Manager"

This is why I correspond with our forest with our forest management agencies. The more we communicate with them, the more they are likely to keep our good places open for target shooting!

Bill
Wow! What an encouragement. I am glad to hear that the agency sees our organization as an asset to help the shooting community and the DNR to communicate. I look forward to this relationship expanding.

Wow! What an encouragement. I am glad to hear that the agency sees our organization as an asset to help the shooting community and the DNR to communicate. I look forward to this relationship expanding.
Precisely what I see, Gary. As a Board member of Trash No Land, you know very well the importance of consistant and constant communication with our local forest management agencies. Thanks for your help on the Board! Let's do more of this!!!

Those were some humdinger pictures. Not sure if it is the Covid or what. We are on vacation at Detroit lake and in a lot of places it is trashed also. Not people shooting, just people thowing out garbage. Get the feeling a lot of people just don't give a s_*t anymore unless it is for their own personal gain.
Anyway "Great Job" on the picking up. Can't wait to make a Peak run again next weekend to see how it looks.

Forest fire danger high.
Shortage of ammo.

Best not go shooting on public lands for a while!

Spend some quality time cleaning up your favorite place to shoot!

Pack you fire prevention equipment anytime you go out!

#StartNoFires,
#StewardshipKeepsItOpen,
#CleanUpToShoot,
#TrashNoLand

Target shooting on WA DNR managed lands is temporarily closed as of Aug 15th. This applies to all state owned land that is managed by DNR. There should be no one shooting on WA state lands until they lift the ban... (which probably won't be for a while yet.
So this post, is more for those who might want to go shooting in other National Forests, BLM or Oregon State lands (they have not closed yet, but still, we should take a break for a while... just to be on the safe side).

Last Edited:
Thanks @Cogs for your diligence. I was planning on going into a couple of the areas tomorrow that it turns out will be gated. I was also unaware of the high fire danger in general so will be changing plans entirely until conditions are better.

More information... This info is from Oregon Dept of Forestry, Forest Grove office...

The gate on N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd will be at the highway before the lanes. We hate to close the lanes but in conferring with the recreation dept, they were on the same page as the rest of the leadership team in that if the fire danger is that high we should close off the whole area to reduce the potential for fire in the fresh clear cuts.

The Salmonberry Road will not be gated but it will be heavily patrolled. People without the appropriate fire tools will be asked to leave the Forest immediately.

Given the fire danger, it would be best for folks to find alternative activities for the holiday weekend. The fire danger will likely head up to EXTREME by Monday or Tuesday.

More information... This info is from Oregon Dept of Forestry, Forest Grove office...

The gate on N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd will be at the highway before the lanes. We hate to close the lanes but in conferring with the recreation dept, they were on the same page as the rest of the leadership team in that if the fire danger is that high we should close off the whole area to reduce the potential for fire in the fresh clear cuts.

The Salmonberry Road will not be gated but it will be heavily patrolled. People without the appropriate fire tools will be asked to leave the Forest immediately.

Given the fire danger, it would be best for folks to find alternative activities for the holiday weekend. The fire danger will likely head up to EXTREME by Monday or Tuesday.

That brings up a good point - what constitutes appropriate fire tools? I always bring a shovel, axe, 5 gallon bucket and a 5 gallon container of water. Is there anything else they would be looking for?

That brings up a good point - what constitutes appropriate fire tools? I always bring a shovel, axe, 5 gallon bucket and a 5 gallon container of water. Is there anything else they would be looking for?
You got it! That's the perfect list. Can't kick you out for that!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top