JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Brazilian Scientists Bake Bread Out of Cockroach Flour

The VICE interview doesn't reveal how the two scientists turn the cockroaches in to flour, I think it's fair to assume that the insects are dried and then finely ground into a fine flour-like powder. This then mixed with regular mixed flour to create baked goods like bread with a considerable protein content. Lucas and Menegon conducted a study and found that a bread containing just 10% cockroach flour presented a protein increase of 49.16 percent, when compared to bread made only with wheat flour.
| Oddity Central - Collecting Oddities

If you want protein rich bread it is very easy, first make flat bread then on top add spaghetti sauce, cheese, meat and anything else that sounds good. Boom, lots of protein!

I figured from the title it was weevils :D

Ugh, Weevils......I remember one time years back I was broke, like not 5 cents to buy a pack of ramen broke. I hadn't eaten all day and decided to dig through some old boxes that I thought I had stored my change jar in but had never unpacked. I found 3 packs of instant cinnamon-raisin oatmeal and was overjoyed that I had found something to eat. Poured them into a big bowl and right as I was about to pour the water in one of the raisins started crawling. Right about then I wasn't hungry anymore, just very very sad. I had never seen weevils before and I hope to never see them again.

Last Edited:
From the Huffington Post

The yuckiest of the defects is surely what the handbook calls "mammalian excreta." Not only is poop inherently disgusting, mouse droppings can spread the lethal (if exceedingly rare) Hantavirus.

The amount of excrement permitted varies from food to food. Many spices and herbs, including pepper, thyme, hot peppers, cinnamon bark and oregano, have a limit of 1 mg of excrement per pound of food. There are over 450,000 milligrams in a pound, so that's a very small fraction. Some whole spices, such as fennel seeds, ginger and mace, have a slightly higher limit of 3 mg per pound. The highest limits are on cocoa beans (10 mg per pound) and wheat (9 mg per kilogram).

The handbook also specifies acceptable limits for other potential adulterants like mold, rot, rodent hairs, insect parts and insect larvae. These, too, vary wildly. Black currant, for example, can have a "mold count" — which refers to the percentage of samples showing any traces of fungi under a microscope — as high as 75 percent, while pineapple juice can't exceed 15 percent.

The insect limits sound rather high to the untrained ear: 925 insect fragments are allowed in just 10 grams of ground thyme, for instance, while 100 grams of canned asparagus may include 40 thrips, a kind of tiny winged insect. The best thing to do is probably to just think of it as protein. Heck, people spend hard-earned money on cricket flour — so why what's the harm in getting 75 insect fragments free with each 50 grams of wheat flour you buy?
:) Yummy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads