JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
New Mexico charity embraces firearms raffle

New Mexico charity embraces firearms raffle
  • By Morgan Lee | The Associated Press

Organizers of a year-end charity gun raffle in Southern New Mexico say they are better off after separating from United Way Worldwide, which had sought to block the annual firearms fundraiser.

Alamogordo-based Thrive in Southern New Mexico dropped the United Way name and affiliation earlier this year after its local firearms raffle was thrust into the national debate over access to guns.

Thrive still describes itself as the leading fundraising organization for local nonprofits in a rural, two-county area. Executive Director Stephanie Hale said the reorganization is keeping more funds in the local community that previously went to the United Way, and that the firearms raffle this year should pay for her group's annual operating expenses.

"We still do the same things that we did as part of United Way, only now all the funds that we raise stay," she said.

Thrive in Southern New Mexico briefly suspended publicity for its "Ultimate Firearms Raffle" of more than 100 guns in the aftermath of recent mass shootings at a Las Vegas, Nev., country music concert and a Texas church. Hale said Thrive will promote raffle ticket sales in December at several gun shows.

"We're trying to push them when we can, when there's not some tragedy caused by a lunatic," she said. "You kind of have to walk a fine line when these things happen."

Miranda Viscoli, co-president of New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence, said the raffle undermines public safety by distributing more guns into the community — including military-style rifles.

Viscoli said the raffle continues to casts a shadow over Thrive's charitable giving, even if raffle proceeds don't go directly to local nonprofits. She previously urged the United Way to end or break ties with several gun raffles.

"Is it fair to the nonprofits that they are giving money to? What about the parents whose kids go the Boys & Girls Clubs, but they don't agree with the firearms raffle?" Viscoli said. "It's in poor taste to put it mildly."

Thrive in Southern New Mexico has teamed up with a Western True Value hardware store to sell 2018 calendars that come with a raffle ticket for $50. With 4,000 calendars available, Thrive stands to collect as much as $200,000. The drawings are scheduled to take place Dec. 27, and winners will be announced gradually, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, throughout the coming year.

The firearms include 15 semi-automatic AR-style rifles with a military-style appearance, shotguns, and various caliber handguns and rifles. A special drawing will award a gun safe and five firearms to one ticketholder.

Beyond the raffle, leading charitable donors to Thrive include the region's main hospital, the Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center. Thrive funnels charitable contributions to about a dozen nonprofit programs and agencies that include senior centers, youth support groups, and resource organizations for victims of domestic-violence and sexual assault.

Rhonda Cross, vice president of Thrive's board, emphasized that the Ultimate Firearms Raffle distributes guns through a federally licensed gun dealer that runs a background check on winners.

"Me personally, I have no qualms about doing this," said Cross, who says her husband, children and grandchildren have guns and are well-trained in safety.

Viscoli pointed out that any gun recipient from the raffle can resell their weapon directly to another individual without a background check, under provisions of New Mexico law.

As far as the media is concerned, this charity has just killed 10x as many people as they helped.

Everyone knows a gun WILL be used in a crime, every time. The winner can just transfer it to anyone without a background check. Obviously a criminal will be buying it. :rolleyes:

In my writings i try to use the phrase, civilian grade firearm, and remind or educate people that our military does not use AR15s. It's not splitting hairs.

As long as people feel free to offer misinformation in their writing I will correct it as I see fit. If a charity doesn't want honest and legal money so be it. To steal a quote from the movie "Airplane". Chump don't want da help, chump don't get da help.

... educate people that our military does not use AR15s.
Unless things have changed recently, the group calling itself The United States Air Force is, but not exclusively, still using the AR-15s for their Security Police at Stateside air bases. They were the first to adopt it.:):):)

Didn't think so. While I was in we got our M16/M4 from the Security Police. I never saw a non select fire rifle.
Be that as it may, I'll stand by AR15 is a civilian grade firearm.

I can tell you for a fact that in '67 the Air Police of the USAF were being arms with AR-15s. I knew the Armorer at McCord AFB, WA.

I can tell you for a fact that in '67 the Air Police of the USAF were being arms with AR-15s. I knew the Armorer at McCord AFB, WA.
No doubt. My unit of 500 handled dozens if not in to the hundreds for cleaning & transportation in the 90s. I'd never heard of any AR15s. We were just getting the 3rd burst. The only thing I heard at the time was the gate SPs couldnt keep a round chambered. Possibly just non NCOs.

Strange how different regions respond to things. We here in Cave Junction Oregon seriously discussed having a 100% volunteer public library raffle off some donated items INCLUDING firearms. Yep. As it turned out, other nice donations including a great car were picked instead. The local gun shop at the time was willing to work with the transfers.

Just kinda recently an Old Coot talked to the then volunteer director of the then 100% volunteer library staff about including the LIBRARY as beneficiaries in an Old Coots will. This included firearms. It also included MACHINE GUNS! The deal fell through because of BATFE regulations and NOT the attitude of the library staff. SW Oregon is very different.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

EDIT! ... EQUAL PARAGRAPH LENGTHS!! I did it! :) :)

Just kinda recently an Old Coot talked to the then volunteer director of the then 100% volunteer library staff about including the LIBRARY as beneficiaries in an Old Coots will. This included firearms. It also included MACHINE GUNS! The deal fell through because of BATFE regulations and NOT the attitude of the library staff. SW Oregon is very different.

I believe it. My retired parents live on acreage down in Cave Junction. On a visit, I seem to recall hearing the peal of automatic gunfire in the distance. :)

Good for them standing up to bully groups like the United Way. When I worked at Fred Meyer years ago, I was strong-armed by my employer and my union to make donations to the United Way - all so THEY could claim the 'good work' THEY were doing. The United Way supports things I don't agree with and they are known for trying to shut down folks that do things they don't like. They also work closely with the U.N., which I'm no fan of either. If they want to get political, that's their business, but I won't support them.

If I were in the area, I'd buy a ticket or two for that raffle to help support that group. Plenty of good charities to support that don't have the bully mentality of groups like the United Way.

I did some googling on the ar15 civilian semi auto. I don't know why its a little difficult to get a clear picture but there is the Armelite AR15 which was first sold to the Air Force as the M16 and Colt later bought the rights. These were full auto and not sold to the public. I guess we can call it a rebranded Colt AR15 semi auto sold to the public under the Colt name. So Armelite developed the AR10/15 full auto versions and tried to sell it to a few military markets unsuccessfully. Colt bought the rights, called the M16. Armelite resurfaced under a new owner and continues to sell and market AR firearms.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top