JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Full court press to make it difficult to buy guns and ammo. 114 will drive dealers and buyers away from gun sales while the ATF closes shops for the least infraction.

If yall want something then get it now or cry later.

Harrison claims that his "violations" were simply clerical errors, including failing to record when weapons were returned after being worked on, according to WCYB 5.

"You're supposed to do a background check if it exceeds 30 days. It came back good, but it came back 30 days and then the 31st day the customer came to pick the gun up," Harrison said. The license revocation was "huge" for Harrison, as he was financially dependent on the license.
When did it become a law to have to do a BGC for gunsmithing?

It's been that way for a very long time. A gunsmith has to receive possession of a firearm, so cannot be a prohibited person.
The Washington state carve-out for federally licensed gunsmiths doesn't have any date restrictions. The article describes an action against a dealer in Tennessee. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that being federally licensed makes one a 'non-prohibited' person. But for the 31-day part, I have no idea on how to look up Tennessee law... :confused:

RCW 9.41.113 BCG exemptions

A federally licensed gunsmith who receives a firearm solely for the purposes of service or repair, or the return of the firearm to its owner by the federally licensed gunsmith;

The gunsmith would have had a BGC as part of the FFL approval process.

I think we are talking about two different things here.
we must be. The article isnt clear to me, confusing...

It was talking about shutting down FFLs for trivial things. The example it cited was an FFL "working" on a customers gun, so I assumed a gunsmith. Im not aware of any law requiring a BGC anywhere in the country for gunsmith work. The article isnt clear here.

A gunsmith needs a Type 1 FFL (Dealer / Gunsmith) and there are BGCs involved in the application and renewal process.

No BCG is needed to return the firearm to the same individual who turned it over to the smith ... here's what the ATF says:

Does a licensed gunsmith have to conduct a NICS background check before returning repaired or customized firearms?

No, if the firearm is being returned to the person from whom it was received. However, if the firearm is delivered to someone other than the person from whom it was received, a NICS background check is required.
[18 U.S.C. 922(t); 478.124(a)]

Then the article lost me.
I read it twice and it seems to smash two separate infractions into the same topic. one being the owner giving a example of a 31 day pick up and the other was the recording of firearm returns. which i assume is a "log book" of sorts for what guns you brought in to smith and date returned. i am a Notary and we have a book the one you sign in that we are required to keep log of.. Also said ATF was opening up offenders on a "list" to check them, so it seems this gentleman has had record keeping issues but nothing warranting a revocation of his license and business.

I read it twice and it seems to smash two separate infractions into the same topic. one being the owner giving a example of a 31 day pick up and the other was the recording of firearm returns. which i assume is a "log book" of sorts for what guns you brought in to smith and date returned. i am a Notary and we have a book the one you sign in that we are required to keep log of.. Also said ATF was opening up offenders on a "list" to check them, so it seems this gentleman has had record keeping issues but nothing warranting a revocation of his license and business.
it sounds like the gunsmithing has nothing to do with the license revoke. It sounds like he got punished for releasing a gun sale outside of 30 days, but that examples not clear either.

Regardless, the article is implying the ATF is nitpicking FFLs to unreasonably revoke their licenses over "clerical errors" as some plot for gun control. I dont doubt thats a possibility under the current administration, but the article isnt doing a good job of citing clear examples of clerical errors, and thats suspicious of the article.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top